PDA

View Full Version : Stuck to 800mhz once I launch a game [solved?]

dboris
12-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Hey.
I have a very strange problem with my G750JX: Every time I click on a game's window, the processor goes from 3.2ghz to 800mhz :(
So every game gets laggy of course :(.

Before that, everything was ok.
I tried to install/unistall everything...

I tested it on BF4, ARMA 3, Skyrim..

I was despaired, thinking to a softsware problem.. And I wiped off windows:
Now I have a brand new and clean windows installation :D.
And I still have the same problem :(.

What, da, ****.

Of course, everything is set to 100% in windows power management :/.

schmoo13
12-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey.
I have a very strange problem with my G750JX: Every time I click on a game's window, the processor goes from 3.2ghz to 800mhz :(
So every game gets laggy of course :(.

Before that, everything was ok.
I tried to install/unistall everything...

I tested it on BF4, ARMA 3, Skyrim..

I was despaired, thinking to a softsware problem.. And I wiped off windows:
Now I have a brand new and clean windows installation :D.
And I still have the same problem :(.

What, da, ****.

Of course, everything is set to 100% in windows power management :/.

is your laptop plugged in?

dboris
12-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Of course yes.
I also tried with or without the battery, same problem.
I called ASUS suport, they asked me to send an email and to take screenshots...
I am affrain that it will takes several weeks to solve :(

I just bought DAYZ thinking that the reinstallation of windows 8 would have solved it :(

If you have any idea... :(

villiansv
12-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Are you using Asus power4gear? If so, uninstall it and try with the default windows power plans.

dboris
12-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I already tried to unistall it. I tried again: same problem. It worked before with it anyway.

I made a video for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47KTvxkNRU&feature=youtu.be

hmscott
12-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I already tried to unistall it. I tried again: same problem. It worked before with it anyway.

I made a video for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47KTvxkNRU&feature=youtu.be

Wow, that's freaky! I don't have an external monitor handy right now to try it myself, but when I ran BF4 beta and used a logging program to record CPU during game play the CPU definitely maxxed out during game play. That was a G750JX.

Have you tried on the built in screen and log the CPU performance to a file to review after play? Is it related to the use of the external screen?

Weird :)

I would report this to Asus via a Technical Inquiry - register your laptop with Asus support and file a report and ask them to look into it.

Be patient, you will have to escalate the problem a couple of levels to get to the technical staff able to understand the problem. Be nice to everyone in between - they are the ones that need to get you to the person(s) you need to talk with. :)

sasuke256
12-25-2013, 02:27 PM
try to get the last bios update, i heard there is problems with cpu freq with the first version of the bios :)

hmscott
12-25-2013, 02:47 PM
try to get the last bios update, i heard there is problems with cpu freq with the first version of the bios :)

That fix was only for battery power... but it couldn't hurt to update if he hasn't already. :)

I know he removed Power4Gear, but he doesn't say if he set the Power Option to High Performance or Balanced, he may be on Power Saver?

dboris
12-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I also have the last 208 bios ;(

And again; everything was working fine before, and since a few weeks, I have this :(.
So I really thought it was a windows problem but I reinstalled windows totally and the CPU still does the sme thing.

And, I emailed Asus French support.
They first told me to reinstall windows with ASUS Preload Wizard.
I then answered that I had already done it as written on my first email.. And the answered me the same thing again. :eek: -__-
On phone they told me to send some screenshots via email..

I'm waiting for another email answer, I once again told the guy that I already reinstalled windows.

hmscott
12-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I also have the last 208 bios ;(

And again; everything was working fine before, and since a few weeks, I have this :(.
So I really thought it was a windows problem but I reinstalled windows totally and the CPU still does the sme thing.

And, I emailed Asus French support.
They first told me to reinstall windows with ASUS Preload Wizard.
I then answered that I had already done it as written on my first email.. And the answered me the same thing again. :eek: -__-
On phone they told me to send some screenshots via email..

I'm waiting for another email answer, I once again told the guy that I already reinstalled windows.

Stick with it, they will eventually get it, someone will :)

Yeah, that is weird, it is acting like a battery issue... look at your battery icon, see if it is still charging when you start the game - I had a problem where a bad power adapter caused a Macbook Pro to stop charging while I was doing heavy work - it went into battery power mode because the adapter couldn't meet the power requirement of powering the laptop with my heavy work load and charge at the same time - replacing the power adapter fixed that problem.

It is also acting like you are using the power save plan in the Power Options control panel. Which power plan are you set to use on AC?

dboris
12-25-2013, 06:13 PM
look at your battery icon, see if it is still charging when you start the game

I can choose between "power4gear high perf" or "normal use".
"98%; plugged in, not charging" since i'm always plugged it it's normal.
I tried both: nothing new.

It is also acting like you are using the power save plan in the Power Options control panel. Which power plan are you set to use on AC?

When I launch a game, it doesn't change anything...
I tried to unplug and plug ii in again, now it has charged the last 2%.
On AC, it's set on power4gear high performance or windows high performance,.
And everything is set on 100% CPU usage. As shown on my video.
I also tried diffrent random thing, 98% 99, etc.
Still not working.

The "intelgraphic performance" is also on maximum performance btw.

And it should work after a windows reinstallation since it worked before when I installed winows 8.1..

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I can choose between "power4gear high perf" or "normal use".
"98%; plugged in, not charging" since i'm always plugged it it's normal.
I tried both: nothing new.

When I launch a game, it doesn't change anything...
I tried to unplug and plug ii in again, now it has charged the last 2%.
On AC, it's set on power4gear high performance or windows high performance,.
And everything is set on 100% CPU usage. As shown on my video.
I also tried diffrent random thing, 98% 99, etc.
Still not working.

The "intelgraphic performance" is also on maximum performance btw.

And it should work after a windows reinstallation since it worked before when I installed winows 8.1..

I thought you said you uninstalled Power4Gear? It is currently a known problem after installing the new BIOS - Power4Gear causes the CPU to be throttled... sorry I assumed you already uninstalled it.

I uninstalled Power4Gear because of flaky CPU speed limiting. After uninstalling it, and running the Windows Balanced Power Plan I get full performance on Battery and on AC, and I recommend you try the same. :)

dboris
12-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I finally decided to do what the french asus support told me: to reinstall windows (once again!) by pressing F9 when the laptop is turned on.
While US Asus support told me to set the BIOS on default, and to check if I had the 208 version. Already done.
They also asked me to install the "asus VGA drivers". Done.

I thought you said you uninstalled Power4Gear?

I had unistalled it on my last windows system. Since then, I reinstalled windows twice, and it is always installed by default.
And I have the 208 bios since it's out, and I always used power4gear without any problems.

So, here I am with my new windows: still not work.
On your advice, I tried to unistall power4gear: still not work too.

I hopped so hard that it was Power4gear... .____.
Damn.

hmscott
12-26-2013, 11:32 AM
I finally decided to do what the french asus support told me: to reinstall windows (once again!) by pressing F9 when the laptop is turned on.
While US Asus support told me to set the BIOS on default, and to check if I had the 208 version. Already done.
They also asked me to install the "asus VGA drivers". Done.

I had unistalled it on my last windows system. Since then, I reinstalled windows twice, and it is always installed by default.
And I have the 208 bios since it's out, and I always used power4gear without any problems.

So, here I am with my new windows: still not work.
On your advice, I tried to unistall power4gear: still not work too.

I hopped so hard that it was Power4gear... .____.
Damn.

Hey, don't despair, it is always the last thing you try... why would you try something else if ya just fixed it? :)

You just gotta keep at it.

I noticed that when I was running the new ROG Realbench 2.0 beta, I had forgotten to change my Power Plan from Balanced to High Performance. By default, before making any adjustments, Balanced sets Min CPU Speed to 5% - maybe 10% - I already set it to 0% - but my point is that the first time I ran the Realbench 2.0 beta benchmark, it registered my CPU at 799mhz! I guess it takes the reading when it first starts, not when the load generation has started. So I changed to the High Performance Plan, and voila! it says I am at 3596mhz (I use Intel XTU to overclock my CPU).

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/?Laptop=notebook&CPU=all&gpu=all&Core=all

Did you set your Power Plan to High Performance after uninstalling Power4Gear?

dboris
12-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Did you set your Power Plan to High Performance after uninstalling Power4Gear?

Yes!

And even after 10mn of gaming it's stuck to 800mhz :/.
Everytime I go back to desktop, it goes back to 3.2ghz.

.__.

hmscott
12-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes!
And even after 10mn of gaming it's stuck to 800mhz :/.
Everytime I go back to desktop, it goes back to 3.2ghz.
.__.

dboris, you've eliminated everything except the hardware. If you had another power adapter available I would suggest trying that, but it sounds like your laptop has developed a problem that you can't fix on your own, you will need to return it to the seller or RMA it to Asus.

Sending Asus a link to your youtube video will help so they can recreate the problem.

I have seen another such problem on the Forums, if you find them you might connect and see what they have found, and if they got the problem fixed.

Be sure and report back here when you have a solution from Asus.

Dreamonic
12-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I would just do a clean install of Windows instead of restoring the system installed OS again with all the bloatware.

But first,

Perhaps test your CPU with Prime95 and Kombostor for your 770M at full load at the same time. This will tell you 'outside' of games if the same thing will happen or not. If it works, well... then we know the problem.

If your CPU doesn't revert back to idle state during these tests, your AC adapter is fine and points to a software issue within the factory installed OS from ASUS.

dboris
12-26-2013, 01:48 PM
With Prime95, my proc goes to 100% load at 3.00ghz.
No problems.
With Prime 95:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/52/1388065932-gddgd.jpg

It seems that the GPU is also throtteled , right?

I also tried Furmark, and it reacts exactly like if it was a game: once I click on another windows, the proc goes from 800mhz to 3.2 again..
On minecraft, I have no problems. Same with Terraria.

I wanted to try a clean windows installation but a friend told me that it's not recommanded since it can be a reason to be reffused by the support. :/

Anyway, I just tried to download the windows 8 iso, but I have only an OEM key so I can't download it :/.

hmscott
12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
I would just do a clean install of Windows instead of restoring the system installed OS again with all the bloatware.

But first,

Perhaps test your CPU with Prime95 and Kombostor for your 770M at full load at the same time. This will tell you 'outside' of games if the same thing will happen or not. If it works, well... then we know the problem.

If your CPU doesn't revert back to idle state during these tests, your AC adapter is fine and points to a software issue within the factory installed OS from ASUS.

Dreamonic, if dboris is up for all that I would second the recommendation - I stopped short myself because I thought dboris had already been through a lot of stuff with no success, and at some point you have to recognize the users limits and take it out of their hands - Asus can get it working for him and place the load of debugging where it belongs - on the vendors side.

dboris, if you do all these things, just remember that even if it doesn't work, you have had the experience to try for yourself.

I will say that restoring back to OEM install and setting the BIOS to defaults should have been enough to restore things back to new. And, the problem still exists - leaving me to believe it is a hardware problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to back up to the previous BIOS, the one before the fixes for CPU speed on Battery, setting defaults again. But, even so, most every other G750 hasn't exhibited this problem.

Dreamonic
12-26-2013, 01:58 PM
You can make restore discs or use software for backing up your factory partitioned drive so you can go back to it at a later time.

Then you can install a clean copy of Windows and install ONLY drivers. Proceed to test a game out and report back.

This will rule out hardware being the problem, which I can't see it being but I have been proved wrong before :)

If the same thing happens, restore your drive back to factory configuration and proceed to go further with ASUS support.

*** As for the help when on fresh install of Windows, ASUS support can't really be of any help since you are not on their 'configured' system, which is why they may refuse helping until it has been restored to factory settings.

Dreamonic
12-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Dreamonic, if dboris is up for all that I would second the recommendation - I stopped short myself because I thought dboris had already been through a lot of stuff with no success, and at some point you have to recognize the users limits and take it out of their hands - Asus can get it working for him and place the load of debugging where it belongs - on the vendors side.

dboris, if you do all these things, just remember that even if it doesn't work, you have had the experience to try for yourself.

I will say that restoring back to OEM install and setting the BIOS to defaults should have been enough to restore things back to new. And, the problem still exists - leaving me to believe it is a hardware problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to back up to the previous BIOS, the one before the fixes for CPU speed on Battery, setting defaults again. But, even so, most every other G750 hasn't exhibited this problem.

Completely understandable!

I just figured it was too early to opt for possible RMA. At least this way, he'll have tried everything and can say he has put it through different testing conditions to hopefully resolve his problem; There are so many bugs in software and BIOSes as it is.

@dboris

Flashing your original factory BIOS along with a fresh Windows install can also be another option as hmscott suggested

ALSO

If you feel like you have spent enough time on this, then I would follow hmscott's recommendation and let ASUS just deal with it. After all, this is your machine and YOUR time we are using up troubleshooting this. We can't guarantee our fixes will resolve it, but ASUS can always send you another G750 saying it does.

dboris
12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Flashing your original factory BIOS along with a fresh Windows install can also be another option as hms do so?ott suggested

I tried to flash some older BIOS, or to re-flash the 208 BIOS, but I haven't figured out how to.
Because Winflash says that the BIOS that I try to flash is older than the one I have, even if I try to do so inside the BIOS.

How can I do a fresh windows install?
As said before, I reinstalled windows twice:
Once by doing it on windows options.
And once by pressing F9 on startup.
Both times, I chosed to wipe completely the system disk.

Is there any other solutions?

ASUS support sent me an RMA document that I have to send back and then an operator will decide if my laptop can be sent back to ASUS support.

But I d really like to solve it myself, since I don't want to get scratches on it or to have no compunter during weeks.. :/

hmscott
12-26-2013, 02:36 PM
I tried to flash some older BIOS, or to re-flash the 208 BIOS, but I haven't figured out how to.
Because Winflash says that the BIOS that I try to flash is older than the one I have, even if I try to do so inside the BIOS.

How can I do a fresh windows install?
As said before, I reinstalled windows twice:
Once by doing it on windows options.
And once by pressing F9 on startup.
Both times, I chosed to wipe completely the system disk.

Is there any other solutions?

ASUS support sent me an RMA document that I have to send back and then an operator will decide if my laptop can be sent back to ASUS support.

But I d really like to solve it myself, since I don't want to get scratches on it or to have no computer during weeks.. :/

For some reason winflash doesn't allow installing an older dated BIOS than what you have installed, but you can override it.

Add /nodate to the command line, or add it to properties in the shortcut for Winflash on the Target line (or a copy of the shortcut). Here is an example:

Winflash will still complain about the date, but the Flash option is enabled.

dboris
12-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Great :D
Thank you... Should I try to install an older bios or just the 208 again?

hmscott
12-26-2013, 02:42 PM
dboris, I would go back to the previous BIOS first, and test that. You will want to eventually update to the latest BIOS again, but you know it was working before on the original BIOS.

Dreamonic
12-26-2013, 02:49 PM
I wonder if it was yet another ASUS Live BIOS update recommendation again that got pushed in the background or other. If original BIOS worked, then this looks promising.

dboris
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Uhm.
I tried to install the 207 bios.
I have been able to click on "flash". "click on exit to continue".
I clicked exit and it restarted. .__.
And then, I clicked F2 to open the Bios: I was still on 208 bios.
Ahaha, maybe I shouldn't have clicked on F2 .___.

I will try again :3

Edit: Yeah it worked :)
I have the 207 bios now..

*launches DAYZ*

hmscott
12-26-2013, 02:58 PM
dboris, schedule the flash again the same boot if that happens again, don't reboot if it doesn't tell you to reboot.

dboris
12-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I F**CING WORKED :D.

Now i'm still at 3.2ghz :D.

I will go to the 208 back again and it should be all fixed!

YAY! :D

hmscott
12-26-2013, 03:02 PM
I F**CING WORKED :D.

Now i'm still at 3.2ghz :D.

I will go to the 208 back again and it should be all fixed!

YAY! :D

Nice :)

If you have the same problem with the re-intsalled 208 BIOS, we can hook you up with ThrottleStop on the 207 BIOS, which is what we used to get full performance on battery before Asus fixed the problem in the BIOS.

Dreamonic
12-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Not a hardware issue ;)

Good job hmscott!

hmscott
12-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Not a hardware issue ;)
Good job hmscott!

It was a team effort, and dboris fixed it! :)

dboris
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm back to the 208, and everything is fine :D.
Great :D.

Thank you all, and greaaat thanks to hmscott :D. :)

hmscott
12-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm back to the 208, and everything is fine :D.
Great :D.

Thank you all, and greaaat thanks to hmscott :D. :)

Happy to help, I know what a pain it is to get caught up in a problem like that - nice job hanging in there till it was fixed! :cool:

dboris
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM
:D. I hope it will help some people with the same bios bug, maye :)

dboris
01-16-2014, 11:57 PM
I have the same problem again :D.

So I updated to the 209 bios... It worked, I restarted, don't work anymore ._. Daaamn.

Why am I the only one with this problem?

hmscott
01-17-2014, 07:06 AM
I have the same problem again :D.

So I updated to the 209 bios... It worked, I restarted, don't work anymore ._. Daaamn.

Why am I the only one with this problem?

Sorry to hear that dboris... I would say there might be corruption happening to the cmos storage, which is screwing up the settings - causing the BIOS to mess up.

You could try setting Optimized Defaults, check the settings before F10 rebooting to see what changed that you want to put back, and then F10 save and reboot... maybe shutdown too, so you have a clean cold boot.

If that works, and the problem comes back again, document it in a Technical Inquiry to Asus and ask if you need an RMA... it could be a problem with the BIOS chip/support parts - if it was an older machine I would suggest replacing the CMOS battery...

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)