PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Unexpectedly shutting down - NOT a hibernation issue

Casca
12-23-2013, 05:52 AM
OK I'm going to make this quick because the laptop shut down while I was writing a longer version of this post and I lost everything I had written.

Bought a refurb G75VW on Newegg for my husband's Christmas on December 5th. It's had a couple bluescreens and shut downs since we got it, but nothing like what I have experienced with it today.

Today I turned it on to put some Steam games on in while spouse is as work and it just keeps shutting down repeatedly with no warning. About 7 times total since 6pm cst. I've disabled hibernation, uninstalled Power4Gear, Instant On and Live Update. I've checked the BIOS settings. It's got most of the current Windows updates (Windows 7) and updates from Asus. CPU temperature is fine, plus I've not been running any games today and the laptop sits on a cooling stand at all times. Event viewer doesn't show any warnings, errors or anything else before the shutdown, and afterwards only logs that the system suffered an unexpected shutdown.

Is there something I am missing or do I just need to RMA this thing or what.

badiban
12-23-2013, 07:11 AM
I would, personally, send this in for an RMA because that should not be happening.

rewben
12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
you missed nothing. it is very likely a hardware issue (power related) that cannot be fixed with mere software adjustments. RMA is your best bet.

a laptop in general is not supposed to act like that, with or without battery.

tkolarik
01-11-2014, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't RMA it, I would return it! Get my $ back and buy a non-refurb unit! I've had my G75 and can no ever remember having a Blue screen. There seem to be a lot of these refurb units hitting the retail market lately, I wonder who is doing the refurb on them?

MegaMouseGW
01-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Since I bought my G75VW I have had a couple bluescreens. The first happened when I installed a new game and for some reason my laptop disliked it. Took an hour to get it back right. Second one was when I updated all the drivers. Never never update all the drivers at one time. Do them one or 2 drivers at a time. That way you can find the conflicting driver and fix it. This kinda sounds like a hardware problem like others have said. But I would not discount driver issues too.