PDA

View Full Version : Creating Raid on Asus G74SX using pair of SSD

sandman5
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi all

I just got 2 kingston hyperx 240gb ssd and i want to swap the existing hardrives from my Asus g74SX and put in the kingston drives in raid mode or ahci. since im new i dont know whats the procudure or wher the raid driver disc. any suggestion is welcome. installing the disk can be done by me but how do i transfer my existing os and put these two in raid .

Chastity@ASUS
09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
The HM65 chipset of your motherboard does not support hardware RAID, just AHCI. You need the PM67 chipset. If you are dead-set on using SSD RAID, then return your laptop and buy one with the PM65 chipset. Most people use 1 SSD with a standard HDD for storage.

sandman5
09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Chastity isnt the defacto Asus g74sx A1 having the pm67 chipset please . how do identify if mines pm or hm. and about these ssd in ahci do they still function as raid disk

Chastity@ASUS
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
You can use HWINFO64 to check all your hardware internals. CPU-Z will show you the chipset as well. All G74SX models come with the HM65 chipset. (Cougar-Point)

sandman5
09-13-2011, 06:42 AM
ok you saideaid was not possible under hm67, so what about under hm65 cougarpoint is it possible to raid these ssd in this laptop g74sx since mmy chipset is hm65 and if so where are the drivers prior to installation

grungeboy2
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
your laptop should run in AHCI mode by default.

sandman5
09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
by default its ahci mode ok but how do i put these two ssds in raid in my laptop. please let me know if its possible or not. since i dont want to mess things up im asking for suggestions and your help ofcourse. if its tits the alternative in ahci then i must just put one ssd as primary after cloning the os from the old drive and use the other ssd as secondary. wiill it still run in ahci. help please

Chastity@ASUS
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
You appear to not understand Intel chipset naming:

For mobility chipsets, there's the H series, and a P series. The H series is the budget chipset, and does not have RAID support. The P series is the mainline set and has RAID. You have a H series, and therefore, no RAID support.

Now, why you would want to use 2 SSD's in a laptop, and not 1 SSD + 1 7200 RPM HDD is unknown to me.

sandman5
09-14-2011, 10:39 AM
thanks for your concern and clearing the doubt but i see two slots of hardrive when i remove my g74sx back cover. and the sole purpose of getting this is to push the laptop to its limit . for that i want to set these two in raid but if its a budget chipset asus put in the laptop then why did they make this a rog gaming laptop. i just dont get it. some of us realy like to take the advantage technology has to offer. and use it for gaming , 3dmax, crativity ps anything.

anyway i dont want to return the laptop. just want to know if its still ok to use two ssd 240 gb in the laptop besides why we use ssd in laptop you should know this by now chastity as we can save bettery lifee when consumption of power is low and use it in the most productive manner i like silence too no humming.

grungeboy2
09-14-2011, 01:51 PM
you're really not understanding what's being said, or you don't know how computer manufacturers work, one of the two.

when a laptop comes out, all the different models usually use the same board, either with different features enabled or disabled.

1) it's not going to be possible to run in Raid without your motherboard supporting it. if this is really that important to you, then you should've done your research before buying a +$1000 laptop, just like buying a car with a 4-cylinder instead of a v-6 because you never bothered to pop the hood.

2) the higher end models of that laptop that came with RAID from the factory are probably the ones that supported it. if you really HAD to have RAID, you should've bought one of them.

3) RAID is basically worthless in the context that you're using it in. you're not going to see a big speed boost from it.

4) install your OS on your SSD, put the rest of your software onto the 7200 RPM Hard drive you have, sell or return the other SSD.

5) be happy and when you ask questions, listen to the answer.

xeromist
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
if its a budget chipset asus put in the laptop then why did they make this a rog gaming laptop. [...] just want to know if its still ok to use two ssd 240 gb in the laptop besides why we use ssd in laptop you should know this by now chastity as we can save bettery lifee when consumption of power is low and use it in the most productive manner i like silence too no humming.

Gaming doesn't require RAID and the vast majority of gamers will never even miss it so I don't think it's unreasonable to sell it as ROG.

Yes, it's absolutely OK to have two SSD's in there. You will have a *very* speedy machine with that setup. Honestly you wouldn't get much improvement from RAID (presumably you mean RAID level 0) since the controller is only SATA II in current laptops. And your machine will be much more reliable than one using RAID 0.

Battery life is only saved when idle or reading. Writing to an SSD is still power intensive.

sandman5
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
thanks for all you suggestions except grungeboy( hes a smartass) wether i understand or not is not of your concern beside ur junior member too. ok enough of the raidness.ok one last question. which drive should i pop up to do the cloning of the os no.1 or 2, since im going to clone the os o removed th samsung spinpoint from slot 2 replaced it with the ssd to clone it after which is it ok to move the ssd to slot one and put the other blank ssd in slot 2. i hope ther will not be any errors. kind suggestions are welcome

xeromist
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Slot should not matter since they will both be on the same controller. As long as only one of them is marked bootable it will boot from the correct drive.

grungeboy2
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
i feel if you're trying to undergo the trouble of setting up a RAID (which isn't really a whole lot of trouble) you should be aware of what you're getting into, and probably also aware of the benefits and drawbacks.

i know what you're trying to do, i was just wondering if you did.

sandman5
09-15-2011, 01:34 AM
thnaks again teampolice . i marked one of the drives and it booted perfectly. did some benchies and man they are wicked fast. who needs raid any way. so now my set up is same only thing with 2 ssds one. one as primary and secondary. but there is a problem the reocvery option i my old hdd is not ther in my cloned ssd and its showing up as 14.5 healthy primary. any ideas on how to make it as my old recovery option

sandman5
09-15-2011, 02:29 AM
ok any tips on extracting advantage from the new ssd. like how to prevent wear and tear of these new ssds and what do i have to turn on and turn off in windows 7 to get the most out of this. id like to know what are the command lines parameters we can input in the command prompt to disable feature that dont benefit ssd in windows 7

sandman5
09-15-2011, 06:24 AM
please mods or teampolice any tip on increasing the life of my ssd is apprecicated. dont want to have wear and tear from wndows with defrag on any comman lins to disable the unwanted stuff in windows 7 that harm ssds life. please let me know. anyones welcome to share his thoughts

iraqiboy90
09-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I have an SSD too, and after searching allot of sites and forum on how to use all its power, I found out these:
Don't ever use Windows Defragmenter on you SSD!

Open up Regedit and find this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
make sure that EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch value = 0

Go to service manager: RUN --> services.msc
[Right click each one, and properties]
Disable superfetch
Disable Disk defragmenter
Disable windows search (optional)

Now go to "Computer"
Right click on your SSD, and chose properties.
Remove check from "Allow files on this driver to have contents indexed..."

For better performance over the time use a software called Diskpart with Hyperfast.
HyperFast® solid state drive optimizer technology from Diskeeper Corporation is the first ever optimizer exclusively designed for faster performance and extended lifespan of Solid State Drives running on Microsoft® operating systems.
http://www.diskeeper.com/hyperfast/

Josea
09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
please mods or teampolice any tip on increasing the life of my ssd is apprecicated. dont want to have wear and tear from wndows with defrag on any comman lins to disable the unwanted stuff in windows 7 that harm ssds life.
I am not a mod or law enforcer, but I used all of the tips from this thread ;)
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

xeromist
09-15-2011, 03:56 PM
In order to have the recovery partition that is found on the original drive you would have to do a complete clone of the disk, not just the partition that has Windows. A good windows based tool for this would be Acronis disk director or you can use Clonezilla which is free.

sandman5
09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
bless u all and thanks for the tips

CyberSpacia
11-06-2011, 09:47 AM
you're really not understanding what's being said, or you don't know how computer manufacturers work, one of the two.

when a laptop comes out, all the different models usually use the same board, either with different features enabled or disabled.

1) it's not going to be possible to run in Raid without your motherboard supporting it. if this is really that important to you, then you should've done your research before buying a +$1000 laptop, just like buying a car with a 4-cylinder instead of a v-6 because you never bothered to pop the hood.

2) the higher end models of that laptop that came with RAID from the factory are probably the ones that supported it. if you really HAD to have RAID, you should've bought one of them.

3) RAID is basically worthless in the context that you're using it in. you're not going to see a big speed boost from it.

4) install your OS on your SSD, put the rest of your software onto the 7200 RPM Hard drive you have, sell or return the other SSD.

5) be happy and when you ask questions, listen to the answer.

Bullies almost always are ignorant of the facts:

I have a G74SX with 2 x SSD drives which I have configured in a RAID0 array that I can read, and write to, at speeds in excess of 900mbps - thats reason enough to do it in my book. Oh, and the chipset is irrelevant as there are other ways to implement raid.

fostert
11-07-2011, 02:46 AM
I believe you can set up software controlled RAID 0 in any modern Linux distro, though as per others here I'd rather have the single SSD for speed and the 7200HDD for space in the G74SX... at any rate if you are after real performance you should be looking beyond Windows :)

Yahooligan
11-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Windows 7 supports and allows software RAID, much like Linux and LVM. RAID0 will certainly give you better performance but there is zero redundancy or data protection. Lose one drive and you lose everything. So long as you do regular backups then you'll be fine.

Also, the G73SX actually has SATA-III, not just SATA-II. This is part of the HM65 chipset.

braindancer
11-18-2011, 02:50 AM
CyberSpacia, do you mind elaborating on how you enabled RAID on G74SX? Is it on Windows?

I am currently trying to decide on a gaming laptop, and the absence of RAID is one of the few things that prevent me from going for G74SX.

-Ontic-
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I kno right LOL. Drop that you are doing and not explaining how hehe, evil CyberSpacia ;)

mellow
11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
i have the g74sx-bbk8. its the gimped best buy model. it came with 2 500gb hds on a raid0. if i understand this correctly, it only boosts load speed. once in ram, anything running will not be affected by how fast your hard drives access data.

i wiped everything. the recovery discs will replace the hidden partition, but nothing will bring back my raid0 setup. its worth it i think. if you do figure this out, let me know. i think i have to install raid software, then reinstall. doesnt make sense.