PDA

View Full Version : New G75VX Windows 8.1 64 Pro Installation

lieutenantdan
12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
New member here. Just purchased a brandnew G75VX with Windows 8 64 preinstalled. I want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro 64 full version from Microsoft DVD with new product key. Do I just reformat/repartition my SSD and install the new version? Also, what is the correct procedure for saving everything on the SSD before proceeding in case I ever need it again? Thanks.

lieutenant dan

cl-Albert
12-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If you still have the original ASUS Win8 image with recovery partition, you can use the ASUS Backtracker software to back up the ASUS Factory image to a 16gb or larger USB drive as mentioned in this thread under the G750 section (it still applies for the G75VX sold with Win8): http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&country=&status=

Doesn't sound like you have other data or programs to worry about yet, but back everything else separately if needed, or use other software to back up your entire hard drive image if you prefer.

Clintlgm
12-24-2013, 12:54 AM
I 2nd what cl-albert says also you'll probably have to disable secure boot in the BIOS and enable CSM. On boot up with the DVD in spam the escape key that should bring up a boot menu select your UEIF DVD once you reach the install window hit the F10 key if I remember that right should bring up CMD window where you can use Diskpart to clean, then convert to GPT set up partition as you want them. actually you can only set up your OS and Data partitions. The install will create the Other required partitions. See this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)for more details on clean installing

Yes go to the support download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)page and download all the win 8.1 and Win 8 drivers for you NB and OS most to the win 8 drivers work there were a couple of 8.1 drivers for the VW not sure about the VX
Clean Install is a good time to update to the latest Chipset drivers IRST and IME

I usually turn off MS update at the install, after all the main hardware drivers are installed then update with MS Update. Of the Asus software drivers you'll need the ATK package, and the Camera driver your choice on the rest most of it is just bloat and not needed.

lieutenantdan
12-24-2013, 01:06 AM
d-Albert,

Thanks! Question. Should I be following the G750 section instead of the G75 section? Or both?

My setup (from factory):

G75VX-DH72
Win 8 64bit
256 SSD
1 TB HDD
16 mb DDR3 1600mHz
Bluray
670MX Nvidia
i7 3630QM
Broadcom 802.11ac wi-fi

cl-Albert
12-24-2013, 01:26 AM
d-Albert,

Thanks! Question. Should I be following the G750 section instead of the G75 section? Or both?

Sorry for the confusion, but other than that backtracker thread you probably want to stay in this G75, G55, and G46 section unless you just want to look for material in other sections that would apply to your model too, but there may not be too much material that will, so you just need to be aware of this.

Many of the G75 and G55 units came with Win7 which isn't supported by ASUS Backtracker and there doesn't seem as many Win8 customers asking about it in the G75, G55, and G46 section, so there isn't a sticky thread about it in this section yet.