PDA

View Full Version : G750 USB Charger Plus - No USB charge on battery

Yakov
12-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Cannot charge my cellphone on battery while sleeping, even though settings have been changed accordingly.

wrangler
12-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Are you using the correct USB port?

cheatermclaggin
12-23-2013, 09:47 PM
not sure about it 100% but i know you can turn it on in BIO's

Yakov
12-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Which is the correct one? All are USB 3.0

Pitcher@asus
12-24-2013, 03:47 AM
can you charge in idle mode? into BIOS to check USB item is enable.

wrangler
12-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Which is the correct one? All are USB 3.0

Your ASUS eManual explains USB charging (pages 22 & 69 of the English version). The port with the lightning bolt is the correct one.

Maxter
12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I had this exact same issue. On the right of the computer there are 2 USB plugs. One has a little sticker with a flash looking symbol. This is supposed to be the USB charging one. But mine didn't work. I checked that the software was up and running and pertinent boxes were ticked, but still same issue. I tried the other USB, not the one that has the charging sticker and it worked... So weird. As long as the software is running, you can do it from sleep mode, or off. It does work. Try the other USB port (it'll be just like plugging it to the outlet)

Maxter
12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
BTW, the USB that ends up working is your high amperage USB port, so your cell phone (for instance) will charge faster there than in any of he other USB ports.

wrangler
12-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I think if you look, you'll find that the USB symbol on that port has a lightning bolt as part of it.

Maxter
12-27-2013, 11:21 PM
I think if you look, you'll find that the USB symbol on that port has a lightning bolt as part of it.
actually, you are correct... but there are 2 labels with the bolt. The USB that works has the bolt engraved (had to shine a flash light into it to see it. The bolt sticker, which can be seen very nicely, is on the other USB port. Weird...

cl-Albert
12-27-2013, 11:49 PM
actually, you are correct... but there are 2 labels with the bolt. The USB that works has the bolt engraved (had to shine a flash light into it to see it. The bolt sticker, which can be seen very nicely, is on the other USB port. Weird...

Ah, sounds like you might be seeing the 'Thunderbolt' sticker for the port next to that non-charging USB port, so that sticker isn't really for that USB port.
Sorry I don't have a photo, but hopefully the picture from the G750JW user manual below will help solve this mystery.

Oh, just remembered that Marshall posted a picture of this for the G55/G75 series at this thread which has some resemblance to the G750 thunderbolt sticker:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26141-Does-this-G75-G55-have-Thunderbolt-Look-for-the-sticker!&country=&status=

wrangler
12-28-2013, 03:09 AM
That's why I specifically mentioned the USB symbol with a lightning bolt as part of it.

I have the sticker, too, by the other port. I agree that it adds nothing but confusion.

I see that cl-Albert has posted one of the manual pages I mentioned last week, which shows the correct port, and he's added the sticker location.

cheatermclaggin
12-28-2013, 03:16 AM
to turn on charging while on battery you have to go in the bios and turn it on you can get to it from the recovery menu in windows 8 throw the advance restart opition.

wrangler
12-28-2013, 04:06 AM
to turn on charging while on battery you have to go in the bios and turn it on you can get to it from the recovery menu in windows 8 throw the advance restart opition.
Why do you say that? The manual (p.69 in English version) says that all you have to do is change the setting using the icon in the system tray on the desktop.

hmscott
12-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Why do you say that? The manual (p.69 in English version) says that all you have to do is change the setting using the icon in the system tray on the desktop.

That might be enough, as some Windows programs can use an API to set BIOS settings, but it is worth finding and checking the BIOS setting to make sure USB charging when unplugged / powered down is enabled.

wrangler
12-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I just looked at the two pages in the manual that I mentioned here.

On my machine (factory 208 BIOS, I upgraded to 8.1 through store), the settings shown by the icon allowed charging. I plugged my phone into the designated port, and it charges. So I gave a pointer to the manual pages. I don't see a need to check the BIOS unless there's a problem, and the instructions don't work.

hmscott
12-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I just looked at the two pages in the manual that I mentioned here.

On my machine (factory 208 BIOS, I upgraded to 8.1 through store), the settings shown by the icon allowed charging. I plugged my phone into the designated port, and it charges. So I gave a pointer to the manual pages. I don't see a need to check the BIOS unless there's a problem, and the instructions don't work.

Because there is being right / adequate, and there is being right / thorough, they are not the same thing.

I know I have the "usb charging while on battery" enabled in the BIOS, because I previously set it myself.

Looking at the systray USBCharger+

Then I went into the BIOS to verify I have it ENABLED, and it was. So I disabled it in the BIOS, rebooted and checked the USBCharger+ again to see if it shows a difference, and it does:

Now that I have thoroughly checked from Windows and the BIOS, I can confidently check the "Enable quick charge when the system is in sleep/hibernate/shutdown mode." and know that the BIOS setting has also been changed...

To be completely thorough I should boot one more time into the BIOS to verify that the change in the USBCharger+ systray tool did indeed set the BIOS option, but I am adequately satisfied that the BIOS setting is 99.9% set by checking the box in USBCharger+ - I will make a mental note to check next time I am in the BIOS. :)

wrangler
12-28-2013, 07:18 PM
That's nice to know, and to share, for educational purposes, and I don't minimize that. I simply didn't need to do that to make it work on my machine, and didn't expect others to normally have to do it.