PDA

View Full Version : G750JH Bad screen IS software related... (Lines dark areas chi mei)

chippo
12-24-2013, 01:43 AM
I receive my g750jh and do a fresh win 8.1 install on 840 pro. the screen was good enough, grainy but good.

After a month i decided to install some bloatware of asus to see if i loose something. Kb filter, Atkp and some are goods.

And believe me i was fool enough to install asus splendisheet + g750 patch and then pass at 100hz. Bam !!!! Even the asus forum was horrible with lines, artifacts and strange things like square on the red of title post, wtf ?

For sure i came back at 60hz and all between 100. nothing.
I remove spleendish... nothing. All asus soft. nothing.
I try recalibrate lcd and many other thing : NOTHING arghhhhh

Then i choose to restore os from w8.1, from scratch then... and it's magic my screen came back.
i reinstall everything, last beta nvidia, killer, max audio, magician, kbfilter, atkp and somes others but not screen related !

Everything work well now, i promise to not do that again ^^

Morality : Try to install a w8.1 from scratch if you've got bad screen issues. And no asus sploatware !

hmscott
12-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I receive my g750jh and do a fresh win 8.1 install on 840 pro. the screen was good enough, grainy but good.

After a month i decided to install some bloatware of asus to see if i loose something. Kb filter, Atkp and some are goods.

And believe me i was fool enough to install asus splendisheet + g750 patch and then pass at 100hz. Bam !!!! Even the asus forum was horrible with lines, artifacts and strange things like square on the red of title post, wtf ?

For sure i came back at 60hz and all between 100. nothing.
I remove spleendish... nothing. All asus soft. nothing.
I try recalibrate lcd and many other thing : NOTHING arghhhhh

Then i choose to restore os from w8.1, from scratch then... and it's magic my screen came back.
i reinstall everything, last beta nvidia, killer, max audio, magician, kbfilter, atkp and somes others but not screen related !

Everything work well now, i promise to not do that again ^^

Morality : Try to install a w8.1 from scratch if you've got bad screen issues. And no asus sploatware !

It would be nice to find the offending software that gets installed, but doesn't uninstall correctly. Its a pain to install from scratch, especially for those of us with lots of installed / configured stuff already...

Any idea what file(s) might be involved? Or maybe it is registry cruft left behind?

Thanks for letting us know :)

chippo
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
It would be nice to find the offending software that gets installed, but doesn't uninstall correctly. Its a pain to install from scratch, especially for those of us with lots of installed / configured stuff already...

Any idea what file(s) might be involved? Or maybe it is registry cruft left behind?

Asus? Whats up?

Thanks for letting us know :)

Yeah, i think something stay but don't know what, i think screen profiles or registry...

And yes it's a pain to install from scratch, especially for those of us with lots of installed and configured, that's was my case but it's worth it.

I can't imagine have such bad screen quality over make new install.

PS : Sorry for my english but the french rog forum is cr.p....

hmscott
12-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Yeah, i think something stay but don't know what, i think screen profiles or registry...

And yes it's a pain to install from scratch, especially for those of us with lots of installed and configured, that's was my case but it's worth it.

I can't imagine have such bad screen quality over make new install.

PS : Sorry for my english but the french rog forum is cr.p....

So far this problem hasn't happened to me, and I hope it doesn't, because I don't have time for a clean install right now :)

Thanks again chippo!

hmscott
12-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Has anyone else tried this?

Has anyone noticed an improvement in their screen display after going from the Asus OEM Windows install to a clean Windows install - without Asus Splendid ever having been installed?

Should I give this a try?

I don't have a problem with my G750JH AUO display, but I am willing to believe it can get better :-)

chippo
01-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Okay now i'm sure it's softare related, i can reproduce the line or not, simply by installing nvidia driver 327.23 all lines are gone !!!!!

Thanks to
I am also not overly fond of the grainy CMO1720, but at least I got the "horizontal lines" issue in check, which rather seems to be a graphics driver than a hardware related issue:

Nvidia driver 327.23 for the GeForce 770M works nicely with or without Splendid. I had 331.65 installed and suddenly noticed these weird horizontal lines, only a few but noticeable ones without and tons of them with the latest "Splendid". 327.23 doesn't have the lines, if you look very closely it looks a bit like a checkerboard or thinner lines, it is basically not noticeable unless you search for it.

For now I recommend 327.23, I hope it works for you, too. :)

Edit: 331.93 BETA (27 Nov 2013) and 331.82 (19 Nov 2013) unfortunately have lines with Splendid and less noticeable but still annoying odd line-artefacts/lines without.

hmscott
01-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Okay now i'm sure it's softare related, i can reproduce the line or not, simply by installing nvidia driver 327.23 all lines are gone !!!!!
If I reinstall latest r331 lines cames back...
Thanks to

Are you using the download link from Asus or Nvidia for the 327.23? Please share the link you downloaded.

Thanks Chippo!

chippo
01-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Thats why, i noticed a better screen immediately after a fresh new install, so far i'm really glad to be sure it's not hardware related like the auo screens !

BUT if I purchase a jh laptop, it is to get the latest games ... If i can't have the latest drivers for these games and their optimisations, it despite me a bit.

I don't want to troll but I have a g750jh assassin's creed 4 edition and the nvidia driver optimized are r331...

chippo
01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
i use nvidia link beta and archives : http://www.nvidia.fr/download/driverResults.aspx/66749/fr

Asus only got 311.83 on support page of the G750JH.

Test for G750JH owners with chi mei screen : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

hmscott
01-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Thats why, i noticed a better screen immediately after a fresh new install, so far i'm really glad to be sure it's not hardware related like the auo screens !

BUT if I purchase a jh laptop, it is to get the latest games ... If i can't have the latest drivers for these games and their optimisations, it despite me a bit.

I don't want to troll but I have a g750jh assassin's creed 4 edition and the nvidia driver optimized are r331...

The AUO screen I have isn't having problems, it is likely the same driver anomalies being seen on the Chi Mei and the AUO - the base problem is the Nvidia drivers. I am not seeing the problem because the games I am playing don't show the problem.

And, because I am not seeing the problem, I am not looking for the problem in every screen output by the AUO - and I am not screwing with the contrast/gamma/brightness trying to see hidden anomalies - I used to do that on CRT's - you could induce funny patterns and lines by playing with the base tuning. Even a good monitor can be made to look bad if you get to the boundries of it's capabilities.

The good news is that can be fixed, so we need to file bugs with Nvidia, laying this all out for them, so they can fix this ****. :)

hmscott
01-01-2014, 08:56 AM
i use nvidia link beta and archives : http://www.nvidia.fr/download/driverResults.aspx/66749/fr

Asus only got 311.83 on support page of the G750JH.

Thanks chippo :)

I am going to downgrade to 311.83 after getting my Wifi/BT squared away to see if I see anything different.

chippo
01-01-2014, 09:10 AM
I don't know why you want to get 311.83 that is pretty old.

Oh by the way, it's getting totally werd, i can't reproduce the lines on dark areas by reupdating to r331.

Somehow to have installed 327.23 between the windows incorporated driver and latest r331 make dissapearing lines for my screen.

I don't understand, i'm a logic man but i don't understand... But it works, I have the latest driver and no more vertical lines in dark\grey areas.

How i can change topic name to "G750JH Bad screen IS software related... (Lines dark areas chi mei) "

hmscott
01-01-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't know why you want to get 311.83 that is pretty old.

Oh by the way, it's getting totally werd, i can't reproduce the lines on dark areas by reupdating to r331.

Somehow to have installed 327.23 between the windows incorporated driver and latest r331 make dissapearing lines for my screen.

I don't understand, i'm a logic man but i don't understand... But it works, I have the latest driver and no more vertical lines in dark\grey areas.

How i can change topic name to "G750JH Bad screen IS software related... (Lines dark areas chi mei) "

Thanks for warning me, I guess I should be happy I don't have a problem - see what I mean about looking for something that isn't there because you don't see it - the human brain is funny that way :)

I have only had 311.83, .65, and 331.82 - and briefly .93, so I never had 327.23 on this laptop.

Before this I have changed the text for titles in the Advanced option, but it just changes the title heading in the first post, not in the forum listing. This is a question for the mods/admins... guys how do we change titles - I also want to change the title for the restart/shutdown delay thread.

And your "fix" might not be limited to chi mei screens... so maybe make the title more generic when we figure out how to change it?

Pierre990429
01-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the update Chippo.
But you have a Chi-Mei, and me an AUO. I think I had tried the 327.23 and it didn't work.

PS : usually Chi-Mei owners report horizontal lines (like when I tried the LG screens), not vertical ones. Weird.

chippo
01-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the update Chippo.
But you have a Chi-Mei, and me an AUO. I think I had tried the 327.23 and it didn't work.

PS : usually Chi-Mei owners report horizontal lines (like when I tried the LG screens), not vertical ones. Weird.

Yes i never had vertical like the auo, i've only got horizontal lines in dark\grey areas and ... not anymore ^^

Pierre990429
01-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Ah ok.
And, Longasc speaks about a faint "checkerboard" pattern that I noticed myself with the 326.80 beta (really close version to the 327.23) ,

do you see it ?

chippo
01-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Not sure if i make a good translate of "checkerboard" pattern, but no i didn't notice a grid ?. The lines in dark area was the only problem i have and maybe a little flickering but not what was show on youtube on somes auo, only minor on number 4 : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

But with a custom resolution it totaly dissapear. I test somes refresh and 100hz is good especialy in grid 2 but not in fps like cod ghost or battlefield 4 with v sync, it's more stable with 60hz. And i don't know why some games doesn't see the 100hz possibility like ac4 BF.

Pierre990429
01-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Eh, je crois qu' on est tous les deux Français.....

Avec les 326.80beta, j' avais l' impression de voir un motif en quadrillage (très léger) dans certains tons, en plus (ou à la place) des motifs en lignes verticales de mon AUO.

Donc tu as fait quoi exactement ? Dans quel ordre as-tu installé les divers pilotes, et à chaque fois avec l' option "clean install" ? D' habitude je ne le fais pas, pour garder mes réglages. Ca n' a jamais posé aucun problème.

As-tu essayé Skyrim pour voir si par hasard tu vois des lignes dans la fumée de l' écran de démarrage/menu ?

Comme dit, chez moi, quand j' ai essayé de écrans LG, là j' avais des lignes horizontales à la place des verticales. Et ça me semblait pire.
Les endroits exacts où ça apparait dépendent des réglages de contraste et gamma : si je modifie, ça disparait à un endroit, mais ça le fait ailleurs.

C' est pour ça que Skyrim est intéressant, car il y a toutes les nuances de gris dans la fumée qui bouge, dans cet écran du menu.

chippo
01-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Je viens juste de me prendre skyrim edition legendaire sur steam a -75 ^^ Je teste dans le mois et je ferais un retour.

hmscott
01-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Le garde forestier est à la recherche de Yogi et Boo Boo, ils ont tous les deux de s'enfuir avec la Picinic fête!

Anglais S'il vous plaît. :)

Offert à vous par Google Translate.

Pierre990429
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Voilà un bon site français où on discute des G750 et de leur problèmes d' écran :

>>> http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/22301-test-et-retour-sur-expérience-asus-g750jh-t4040/

good luck to you all with your ASUS.............................................. ..........................

chippo
01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Okay so, i have reinstalled the last 331 with clean option install and the lines are back, then i have reinstalled 327 with clean option and the lines are gones but it seems there is little square in grid but it's barely noticable and you must be really in front of your screen to see them, it's way beter than lines with 331.

And for finish i reinstall last 331 on 327 but with no clean install option and the lines are not here and i have the last driver optimisation for games, so for now i will stay like this but i hope nvidia and asus are aware of this and i hope the next driver will solve this.

On the official asus g750jh page, the 311.83 give the same as 331, lines on grey.

I don't know if gt70 owner have the same problem because they have the same chi mei screen and mxm 780m card.

I keep digging...

Edit : Not good with 332 for g750jh with chi mei, lines back like 331, revert to clean 327 then express 332...

Darnassus
01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Okay so, i have reinstalled the last 331 with clean option install and the lines are back, then i have reinstalled 327 with clean option and the lines are gones but it seems there is little square in grid but it's barely noticable and you must be really in front of your screen to see them, it's way beter than lines with 331.

And for finish i reinstall last 331 on 327 but with no clean install option and the lines are not here and i have the last driver optimisation for games, so for now i will stay like this but i hope nvidia and asus are aware of this and i hope the next driver will solve this.

On the official asus g750jh page, the 311.83 give the same as 331, lines on grey.

I don't know if gt70 owner have the same problem because they have the same chi mei screen and mxm 780m card.

I keep digging...

Edit : Not good with 332 for g750jh with chi mei, lines back like 331, revert to clean 327 then express 332...

If you're talking nVidia Driver, I think there's supposed to be a config file that's custom for our ROG's since we have no Optimus and something. I'll go find it.

Aram_yossarian
01-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi

I have a G750JH 4106 UK edition with the chi mei panel which I've had for ~ one month. First time I booted I noticed some vertical lines, i thought no worries I'll follow the tips of others on this forum and update drivers so now running 331.82 and the lines disappeared. At that point I'm happy and don't increase the screen refresh rate.

Couple of days ago I'm running a few stress tests as I optimize my OC I'm alternating Intel burn utility for the CPU and Furmark/3dMark for the GPU. After one of the furmark runs i switch to desktop and their are MASSIVELY obvious vertical lines, much more prominent than when i first ran the system. OK i think time to increase the frame rate, eveyone says 100Hz is fine I'll just set it to that but the screen goes blank and top 1/2flickers, then I try 75Hz , same thing but now only the top 1/4 flickers.

At this point I'm getting worried stop messing with the refresh close Nvidia control panel, low and behold the lines are gone and they have stayed gone, all very odd. All i can think is could this problem not be screen related or even software related but heat related?

wow I wonder why I'm an Asus VIP?:cool: Edit2: oh its gone again :(

Draetor24
01-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I have a G750JH-DB72 from a Canadian supplier, and I've never experienced this vertical line issue everyone claims.

When I first booted up, the notebook came with the pre-loaded Win 8 with Splendid and all the other Asus bloatware, and no vertical lines.

I did a clean install of Win 8.1 from a USB (no windows store upgrade), and installed drivers from there. I then installed Splendid just to see if there was a difference in screen quality (bad or good), and I didn't notice any change. I can always change the screen color using Splendid, but I think it looks horrible besides Normal.

The screen has the normal grain, especially on white backgrounds, and I got used to it really fast and prefer it over glossy glare screens now. This is normal due to the anti-glare on the screen, and I like it. The brightness and contrast on this screen is incredible as well, and a lot better than my old G73 glossy screen.

I still don't know what Splendid software actually does, but there has to be a reason why Asus uses it on all their laptops. If it sucked so bad, why would they use it, causing people to complain about the poor LCD screens Asus uses. I don't think they make money off it, since it seems to only be used on their own products.

Pierre990429
01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Aram_yossarian & Draetor2, thanks for your input.

Do you have a Chi-Mei or AUO screen ? (it matters)

Aram, when you upgraded to 331.82, did you choose "clean install" (and erase your previous settings) in the Nvidia setup or not ?

Darnassus
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Aram, when you upgraded to 331.82, did you choose "clean install" (and erase your previous settings) in the Nvidia setup or not ?

How do you know?

Darnassus
01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Graphics
=Monitor
===Name Generic PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
===Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
===Work Resolution 1920x1050 pixels
===State Enabled, Primary
===Monitor Width 1920
===Monitor Height 1080
===Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
===Monitor Frequency 40 Hz
===Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
===Manufacturer NVIDIA
===Model GeForce GTX 770M
===Device ID 10DE-11E0
===Revision A2
===Subvendor ASUStek Computer Inc (1043)
===Current Performance Level Level 1
===Current GPU Clock 405 MHz
===Current Memory Clock 405 MHz
===Voltage 0.825 V
===Bus Interface PCI Express x16
===Temperature 37 °C
===Driver version 9.18.13.3221
===BIOS Version 80.06.54.00.13
===Physical Memory 3071 MB
===Virtual Memory 3072 MB
======Count of performance levels : 3
Level 1 - "2D Desktop"
GPU Clock 405 MHz
Memory Clock 405 MHz

Level 2 - "Default"
GPU Clock 405 MHz
Memory Clock 810 MHz

Level 3 - "3D Applications"
GPU Clock 405 MHz
Memory Clock 2004 MHz

I can't see anything relating to Chi-Mei or AUO

Pierre990429
01-11-2014, 02:10 PM
because you need to, for example, install Aida64 : http://www.aida64.com/downloads

try the "extreme" version, zip or self-exe. totally harmless, doesn't install any crap.

then you can see all the hardware details.

Darnassus
01-11-2014, 07:41 PM
because you need to, for example, install Aida64 : http://www.aida64.com/downloads

try the "extreme" version, zip or self-exe. totally harmless, doesn't install any crap.

then you can see all the hardware details.

Monitor Properties
Monitor Name Chi Mei N173HGE
Monitor ID CMO1720
Manufacturer HC9GK_173HGE
Monitor Type 17.3" LCD (FHD)
Manufacture Date Week 2 / 2011
Serial Number None
Max. Visible Display Size 38 cm x 21 cm (17.1")
Picture Aspect Ratio 16:9
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Gamma 2.20
DPMS Mode Support None

Seems I'm Chi Mei.. I suppose that's a bad thing. ;d

P.S = I swear to the Naaru Asus use a custom version of Nvidia drivers. Theres some .inf file somewhere.

Express works since it doesn't lose the .inf file. Need to re-install to get it back I guess.

Anyone know the healthiest way to un-install a graphics driver? Other than ripping it out.. :c I want to take care of my compy.. <3

Edit, there's three Nvidia drivers on Asus, which one's the best to update from? Chippo? :c

Pierre990429
01-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Make a Windows restore point before installing a new driver.

If, after having upgraded, you want to revert, use this restore point. Best method. Of course, it only works for a limited time.

So far, for the JH, there is only one official ASUS driver : 311.83 . Don't know for the JX and JW.

Sorry, might be a stupid question, but what do you mean with "express" ?

EDIT : there is a nvam.inf file in C:\programs\nvidia corporation\installer2\Display.Driver.{CEDF1F3F-B915-49B5-8ADC-D0DEAD8B15E1} (in my computer at least)
it seems to be the "original" 311.83 INF

chippo
01-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Edit, there's three Nvidia drivers on Asus, which one's the best to update from? Chippo? :c

The best for me is to install clean 327 then express 332, but can you go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and see if there are lines in 1,2 and 3 ? i'm sceptic you have no symptoms with a cmo1720 the same week production.

Edit : there is only one nvidia driver from asus website, 311.83 and there is lines with it.

Edit 2 : i've got skyrim ands its pretty clear there are lines with some drivers on the start page but you can go to lagom too for testing. I'm pretty sure it's dithering related. I've open 2 thread on nvidia forum and only one respons so far : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/670235/geforce-drivers/g750jh-780m-horizontal-lines-in-dark-grey-area-in-newest-drivers/ and https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/670236/geforce-mobile-gpus/g750jh-780m-horizontal-lines-in-dark-grey-area-in-newest-drivers/

chippo
01-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Hi

I have a G750JH 4106 UK edition with the chi mei panel [...] At this point I'm getting worried stop messing with the refresh close Nvidia control panel, low and behold the lines are gone (

I can assure you modify refresh doesn't change anything for horizontal lines, change refresh can only stop flickering and you can test on : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

For me, 100 hz change stop flickering in 4 a and b.

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Gah, I guess the Chi Mei screen is a dud then and 60hz is too low for the screen this big.

Think I can get my screen changed to a 100hz? I tried seeing what 90hz looked like and my flickering disappeared. :c

Why was this screen even considered..? :c

Edit: I thought I should mention I only get the horizontal lines moving up and down during specific screens, mostly gradients. I noticed that the page I look at which gives the effect and cropped a specific area and then made two white strips down the middle.. then colored it one color which I selected from the very top and bottom of the image to show the corresponding gradient going down the image.

Also another note. The "gap of the lines" grows larger the more wide spread the gradient. If I remember correctly, this model isn't too good with blues?

Single example
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2rp9nqh.jpg

Comparison of the short and long gradient (bigger line gaps on the right)
http://oi42.tinypic.com/ehi69y.jpg

(Can see the tearing at 60hz)

If anyone's having the same problem please let me know, it'll make me feel more normal. x'3

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Update, I've cleaned everything, deleted my entire driver.. absolutely everything off of the system and installed R331 FRESH.. no updates or anything.. Black lines have gone, everything seems 100% except for the blue gradient thing.. will test for other things.

If it's JUST That blue gradient, I'll be happy.

Still wondering if making a custom refresh rate in Nvidia would be a good idea. Maybe something like 64hz, the stock refresh.

But yeah for those who have black/grey lines, the ones that are like 0.4cm apart along the screen, completely remove your Nvidia driver and install R331. NOT 332. Get 331. Current 'Game Ready' driver of this post.

Best I can do so far. :c

Pierre990429
01-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Update, I've cleaned everything, deleted my entire driver.. absolutely everything off of the system and installed R331 FRESH.. no updates or anything

Hello,

how did you proceed, exactly ?

you uninstalled the Nvidia driver from the windows configuration panel, in the "programs" section ?

And which 331 ? there are 5 : 331.40 beta, R331.58 WHQL, R331.65 WHQL, R331.82 WHQL, R331.93 beta

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Hello,

how did you proceed, exactly ?

you uninstalled the Nvidia driver from the windows configuration panel, in the "programs" section ?

And which 331 ? there are 5 : 331.40 beta, R331.58 WHQL, R331.65 WHQL, R331.82 WHQL, R331.93 beta

Sorry about that.

The beta. 331.93

Pierre990429
01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks.

So you uninstalled the previous driver,and then rebooted or immediately installed 331.93 ? clean install or not ?

and usually, I avoid installing stuff like nvidia 3D or geforce experience. I just install the driver, physX and eventually the HDMI audio (even if I don't use it)

did you choose "express" or "custom" ?

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks.

So you uninstalled the previous driver,and then rebooted or immediately installed 331.93 ? clean install or not ?

and usually, I avoid installing stuff like nvidia 3D or geforce experience. I just install the driver, physX and eventually the HDMI audio (even if I don't use it)

did you choose "express" or "custom" ?

Forget it all. I still get black lines INGAME it seems. At least the browsing black lines are gone though, like on the ROG site.

... I wish I knew what the stock driver was for the G750JX. I'd revert right now. Or at least.. the best driver everyone's aware of.

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Yep, I'm back onto the stock driver.

So far so good, need to see what it's like in game.

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 06:24 PM
... curse the grey lines of doom!

.. I swear this is just terror.

Here's a perfect image to test if you have the grey lines or not.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/wul44h.jpg

Just look at the upper half, move the image around to prove the grey lines aren't actually apart of the image and that it's actually the monitor if you're in doubt.

There's also the red going into the black right in the ROG page that you're looking at right now. The part to the left of the eye.

P.S. I'm playing Warcraft 3 on a 770m. Sue me. There's no game like Mafia.

Pierre990429
01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
With an AUO screen, there is nothing wrong on your image.

Chi-Mei screens have apparently other issues than AUO. My lines are vertical, static (don't move), rather faint, and only visible on certain dark backgrounds. On the inversion pixel-walk test, I have no flicker anywhere.

I have yet to find a setting (brightness, gamma, contrast, RGB levels) where the image is good in most cases.

As I said : sometimes you think the lines are gone, because you changed a setting (less gamma, for example) or because the new driver comes with other default settings. But then you find them elsewhere.

For me, good tests are : this ROG forum, the Bethsoft forum, the Nvidia forum. Because there are many gradients of dark colors in these sites.
And of course, there are the games...

gazzacbr
01-13-2014, 04:05 AM
With an AUO screen, there is nothing wrong on your image.

Chi-Mei screens have apparently other issues than AUO...

How to tell which screen we have?

Darnassus
01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Uggh, I guess as long as I keep my eyes no closer than two feet to the screen, then I'll never notice the grey/ black lines.

It could be much worse I guess..

Aram_yossarian
01-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Sorry for the delay Pierre I've got the Chi-Mei N173HGE

Pierre990429
01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks.

Well, and maybe we know now why ASUS doesn't care about all this : they are about to launch the G750JZ with the geforce 880M and Win8.1. I feel bad for those who just bought a G750JH.

& maybe ASUS fixed the screen issue...

Aram_yossarian
01-13-2014, 12:21 PM
mmm i knew the 880's were coming but was getting fed up with my old 3870m crossfire and the lack of driver support. Personally I still don't regret my purchase, what little info there is out there (512GB SSD, 2TB HDD, bleeding edge GPU) would probably indicate that would have been a stretch to far for my budget.

Oh and back to the screen Pierre you asked how i did the install of 331.82. I ran the installer and asked it to remove the old driver before applying the new one. I've only seen the vertical lines once so far and they slapped me in the face on the default desktop background with the image of the G750 from behind.

I still find it odd that these lines have come and gone for me it doesn't make much sense i wonder if its the FDP encoder chip that translates the GPU output to drive the panel rather than the panel itself? Perhaps overheating as it looks like its under the GPU or possibly EM interference I have no idea how to test either theory though.

Pierre990429
01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info :)

i wonder if its the FDP encoder chip that translates the GPU output to drive the panel rather than the panel itself

YES !!! I think you are right. I already suspect this for a long time.

Evidences :

- changing the screen doesn't help. (AUO = vertical lines, Chi-Mei = horizontal lines + flicker, LG (I tried) = horizontal lines)
- it happens with other OS (Linux) as well.
- changing the drivers can only modify this, not cure it.
- curiously, I couldn't see it on external monitors.

I don't think it's overheating, because it happens immediately at the boot, and doesn't change with GPU temperature.
Probably interference or bad motherboard design.

IT IS A SHAME ASUS DIDN'T MAKE ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

Since you still see it, I'll stay with 311.83

VirtualMark
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
I have contacted support several times.. explained the situation. Their response - update my drivers. I said in my initial post that I'd tried both the latest drivers from Asus and Nvidia and it didn't help. Their response - update my drivers... these monkeys haven't been fed their full ration of bananas. Very frustrating to deal with, especially since I paid a good amount of money for my laptop.

The latest response is to send my laptop back to them! Yes, they want me to return my 2 month old laptop so they can fix it. Instead of investigating this issue that so many people are having problems with, they want to waste both of our time by me sending it back. Idiots!

This is the first and last time I will spend moneh on an Asus product. It would seem that they don't care about their customers in the slightest, nor do they check their own forums. What is the point in having a forum if you're not going to check it?

Aram_yossarian
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
OK so we both think at least our problems might be the FDP chip how can we test this? Two theories how it might happen are EMI or Heat.

and by the way i see VERTICAL lines with my Chi-Mei not horizontal, I'll try to photo graph them tonight.

My lines only show intermittently when i stress the GPU, I got it to recreate last night by running furmark for 1/2 an hour solid after that switching to the desktop again and saw vertical lines where before there were none. They don't last for long and seemed to fade rapidly. I think this makes my system ideal for testing. I'll connect to my TV at the same time in future that should help discount my lines from being a GPU artifact.
For EMI:
I wonder if its another manifestation of the noise you can hear on the earphone jack at idle, could we tie the audible pitch to a frequency of interference? I'll run again and monitor fan speed and see if the lines appear as the fans spin up this might point to EM interference from the fans.
For Heat:
Could try to find a way to heat the system without stressing the GPU, all that really leaps out at me atm is to put the system in hot air, not sure i want to just yet. I'll put that on the backburner if thats ok.

Other ideas gratefully accepted.

hmscott
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks.
Well, and maybe we know now why ASUS doesn't care about all this : they are about to launch the G750JZ with the geforce 880M and Win8.1. I feel bad for those who just bought a G750JH.
& maybe ASUS fixed the screen issue...

Pierre, you don't speak for me - and probably 95% of the people with any G750.

Who are you to feel bad for me about owning a G750JH, what kind of crap is that?

The G750JH is a great laptop.

Aram_yossarian
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey HMScott,

Like you I'm massively happy with my G750, i think the themals, fan profiles, power provision the look and feel of the device are WAY ahead of MSI, Clevo's and yes even alienware (seriously lost their way this generation, throttling all over the place). Are there issues with some screens, yes are these issues more serious than other issues with other laptops hell no!

Pierre's comment i read as aimed at those just ordering a JH when there is a faster JZ model coming not the G750 as a whole.

hmscott
01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
OK so we both think at least our problems might be the FDP chip how can we test this? Two theories how it might happen are EMI or Heat.

and by the way i see VERTICAL lines with my Chi-Mei not horizontal, I'll try to photo graph them tonight.

My lines only show intermittently when i stress the GPU, I got it to recreate last night by running furmark for 1/2 an hour solid after that switching to the desktop again and saw vertical lines where before there were none. They don't last for long and seemed to fade rapidly. I think this makes my system ideal for testing. I'll connect to my TV at the same time in future that should help discount my lines from being a GPU artifact.
For EMI:
I wonder if its another manifestation of the noise you can hear on the earphone jack at idle, could we tie the audible pitch to a frequency of interference? I'll run again and monitor fan speed and see if the lines appear as the fans spin up this might point to EM interference from the fans.
For Heat:
Could try to find a way to heat the system without stressing the GPU, all that really leaps out at me atm is to put the system in hot air, not sure i want to just yet. I'll put that on the backburner if thats ok.

Other ideas gratefully accepted.

Aram, sorry to hear you are experiencing heat related problems. I have stressed the JW/JX/JH for hours/days at OC speeds (light undervolt on CPU), and have never seen screen artifacts unless I push the OC too far on the GPU - if you are seeing these problems without an OC on your GPU then you should consider RMA'ing your unit, with detailed reports of how to duplicate the failure for Asus, and ask them to either repair or replace with a laptop that doesn't experience display artifacts under load.

You deserve to have a stable laptop that works under load as well as everyone else.

It sucks to RMA, I have had to years ago, but Asus made it right - replaced the GPU card, and it ran great from then on. So it is worth letting Asus make it right for you. :)

hmscott
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I have contacted support several times.. explained the situation. Their response - update my drivers. I said in my initial post that I'd tried both the latest drivers from Asus and Nvidia and it didn't help. Their response - update my drivers... these monkeys haven't been fed their full ration of bananas. Very frustrating to deal with, especially since I paid a good amount of money for my laptop.

The latest response is to send my laptop back to them! Yes, they want me to return my 2 month old laptop so they can fix it. Instead of investigating this issue that so many people are having problems with, they want to waste both of our time by me sending it back. Idiots!

This is the first and last time I will spend moneh on an Asus product. It would seem that they don't care about their customers in the slightest, nor do they check their own forums. What is the point in having a forum if you're not going to check it?

VirtualMark, I had to RMA my G2S when it developed unstable graphics under load after a couple of months of heavy use. That laptop was fixed - GPU card replaced - and ran perfectly for years afterwards, and is still performing great with it's current owner.

It always sucks when something you buy fails, but that is why Asus has a great service program that will make it right for you. It is unfortunate that they can't come over to your place and fix it for you, so that you aren't out a laptop for a few days, but unless you have a local Asus repair depot near you - check the Asus site - it is the only choice - they can't investigate a problem without the laptop with the problem.

Suck it up, send it in for RMA - ship next day Fedex and they will return the same rate/class you shipped it to them - to reduce the time away. I would also insure it for full value to avoid disappointment should it get lost/damaged in transit.

Let us know how Asus does, and if you are happy with your fixed laptop when you get it back :)

hmscott
01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey HMScott,
Like you I'm massively happy with my G750, i think the themals, fan profiles, power provision the look and feel of the device are WAY ahead of MSI, Clevo's and yes even alienware (seriously lost their way this generation, throttling all over the place). Are there issues with some screens, yes are these issues better than other issues with other laptops hell no!
Pierre's comment i read as aimed at those just ordering a JH when there is a faster JZ model coming not the G750 as a whole.

Aram/Pierre, the 880m will likely be faster, run hotter, draw more battery, and be replaced with a new slightly faster 885m in a few months. :)

That is how these graphics companies stay in business, by attracting people to purchase new hardware even though their old hardware will work for many more years completely satisfying their needs.

Feeling bad for someone that just bought an awesome laptop just because an awesome + 5% laptop comes out doesn't make sense to me. I expect progress to continue, and I expect my current hardware to get replaced with newer better hardware, the same as it has been for years.

I don't feel bad knowing that my laptop isn't as fast as the one that replaces it - I expect it.

If I had the chance to choose between the G750JH and a G750JZ right now, I would stick with my G750JH - because it is working great and I have no complaints about it - jumping to the next new build of the G750JZ just because it is a little faster doesn't appeal to me.

If I was about to purchase a G750 I wouldn't wait for the GTX8xx's to come out. I have played that game before, and waited months past the expected release date for new hardware. The JH was like that, I waited from August last year to December for delivery.

But, if I was at the store and saw a G750JH sitting next to a G750JZ, I would carefully weigh the pros/cons of each new/different component. Stability over perceived performance improvement. It would be a tough choice - knowing that there is a fixed power budget available, I would wonder how much more battery life I would waste running the GTX880m vs GTX780m.

I lost about an hour of run time on battery between the JX and the JH - I think I would lose more on the JZ - but we don't know that for sure yet.

Anyway, please don't feel bad for me, I am happy with my JH :)

Aram_yossarian
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the time scott, I'm relatively new to the forum. I Started checking in just before i bought my JH and i am very happy with it and your input to this forum was a big part of that.

My screen issues only appear under unrealistic load and are not an issue for me, so not going to replace my system. It does seem to be in an unusual position of possibly being able to help pin down the screen issues for others. and thats really as far as it went

Pierre990429
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Pierre, you don't speak for me - and probably 95% of the people with any G750.

Who are you to feel bad for me about owning a G750JH, what kind of crap is that?

The G750JH is a great laptop.

You, sir, have an attitude problem.
Please behave yourself.
You are not an moderator.
You seem to feel personally attacked everytime I say (and these are only my opinions) something negative about ASUS. Are you employed by this company ?

Post reported.

hmscott
01-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Please behave yourself.
You seem to feel personally attacked everytime I say (and these are only my opinions) something negative about ASUS. Are you employed by this company ?
Post reported.

Pierre, you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if your attitude might be the problem. You have reported the same fixable problem for months on these forums, and have never sent the laptop in to Asus to get repaired.

You haven't given Asus a chance to make good on their promise for support and satisfaction, but continually act like they don't care about your dissatisfaction.

And, now you feel bad for everyone with a G750JH, because you are dissatisfied with yours. Who has the attitude problem?

I don't work for Asus, but I invested $3k in hardware that has a value to everyone based on the perceived value shared by everyone. When you trash the laptop repeatedly for months, hang around the forums trying to point out how many people in other forums have the same problem, and then cap it off saying how sorry you feel for anyone that bought one now that a new one is coming out that probably fixes the screen problems, you are devaluing my investment.

That is what I am responding to, an attack on my investment. There is nothing wrong with my laptop, but your long term attack on the JH based on your inability to send in the laptop for repair, gives a bad name to a product that doesn't deserve it.

Please just get your laptop fixed by Asus.

xeromist
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Please behave yourself.

Post reported.

People are allowed to disagree as long as they aren't name calling and throwing personal insults. I don't see anything in that post needing moderation.

chippo
01-14-2014, 08:09 PM
People are allowed to disagree as long as they aren't name calling and throwing personal insults. I don't see anything in that post needing moderation.

And asus are allowed to say something about screen problem, we are not only some few users with screen problems, only few to care or seeing these default, if one person doesn't have problem why come on a thread for screen problem and say we can't say we have issue ? If you don't then let us say we are not happy...

Again, if i opened this thread it's to find a solution not to hear somes are fine...

chippo
01-14-2014, 08:15 PM

^^THIS^^

I will stay with these issue 1 year and when there will not be anymore g750jh on the market i will go for rma.
If asus resolve the issue during this time so yeah it will be great, this laptop is great otherwise.
If they change only the screen and solve the issue then great. If not i will go rma again and again until they do something, i have 3 year warranty...

So with chance they fix the issue or they gave me a new JZ ^^

xeromist
01-14-2014, 08:43 PM
And asus are allowed to say something about screen problem
I am a volunteer moderator. I don't work for ASUS so I can't speak to any problems people may or may not be having.

If you don't then let us say we are not happy...

I am not silencing you. I was addressing a specific concern by Pierre because he reported a post. You may continue to discuss this freely as long as nobody is calling names or getting out of hand.

VirtualMark
01-15-2014, 10:41 PM
VirtualMark, I had to RMA my G2S when it developed unstable graphics under load after a couple of months of heavy use. That laptop was fixed - GPU card replaced - and ran perfectly for years afterwards, and is still performing great with it's current owner.

It always sucks when something you buy fails, but that is why Asus has a great service program that will make it right for you. It is unfortunate that they can't come over to your place and fix it for you, so that you aren't out a laptop for a few days, but unless you have a local Asus repair depot near you - check the Asus site - it is the only choice - they can't investigate a problem without the laptop with the problem.

Suck it up, send it in for RMA - ship next day Fedex and they will return the same rate/class you shipped it to them - to reduce the time away. I would also insure it for full value to avoid disappointment should it get lost/damaged in transit.

Let us know how Asus does, and if you are happy with your fixed laptop when you get it back :)

Thanks for the info, but I think this is a software issue. I've seen the same issue on the Nvidia forum now, so it is probably an issue with Nvidia's drivers. I just hope someone releases a fix in the next few weeks.

hmscott
01-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the info, but I think this is a software issue. I've seen the same issue on the Nvidia forum now, so it is probably an issue with Nvidia's drivers. I just hope someone releases a fix in the next few weeks.

It would be nice if it is a software issue that can get resolved by an update, and some in game issues might be due to that, but the laptops that have issues in games and the desktop are physical problems that might get worse and should be repaired while they have Asus Support in force.

RMA isn't something to be in fear of, just send it in and let Asus fix it.

When my G2S graphics acted up, it happened in games, and on the desktop, and was obvious to me at the time it wasn't supposed to be happening, as I had the same software loads on other devices without graphics issues. It wasn't software, and it wasn't something I could fix - and it definitely wasn't fixable by complaining into a user forum :)

I have the same software on a G750JH, and I don't have these issues...and I didn't have these issues on the JW/JX either.

Wagnard
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Here :

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/670235/geforce-drivers/g750jh-780m-horizontal-lines-in-dark-grey-area-in-newest-drivers/?offset=5#4090908

hmscott
01-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Here :

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/670235/geforce-drivers/g750jh-780m-horizontal-lines-in-dark-grey-area-in-newest-drivers/?offset=5#4090908

Gool :)

Hopefully that fix will persist into a release, and not get broken again by a following release, like before/after 327.23.

The flicker might be something reduced on the Chi Mei by increasing the refresh rate up to 100hz, but then again, this might be a different kind of flicker...

landsome
01-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Guys, the vertical lines (in 'dark places') on the Chi Mei are the panel's problem.

I get exactly the same lines - no flickering and no horizontal lines, though - on a Dell Precision M6600 modded with a 7970M. So it's neither a defective part on the Asus mobo, nor a problem with nVidia drivers.

It's easily reproducible (e.g., http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php) and it seems to be a problem with blacks and grays exclusively, which in the test linked here appear all checkered.

Too bad, as it's otherwise a screen with impressive specs for a TN (and even the graininess is acceptable in a matte).

BTW, tested it with my calibration (Spyder4), as well as the default color profile and a number of profiles from the net (mine's the most adequate, of course, but the problem persists under all circumstances, including 16bit color).

chippo
01-18-2014, 04:06 AM
Guys, the vertical lines (in 'dark places') on the Chi Mei are the panel's problem...

Okay okay but have you read the thread ?

We talk about HORIZONTAL lines wich dissapear with only one driver, the 327.23.

Generaly it's the AUO screens who gets vertical lines and no driver fix it.

So we will wait the next driver from nvidia or asus to see if something good is going on.

Darnassus
01-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Chippo can you seriously confirm that Driver 327.23 makes the grey/black lines issue go away? If you're running the driver, can you look at image: http://oi44.tinypic.com/wul44h.jpg to confirm?

I'm seriously stumped, I can't make them go away.. I installed this driver and it didn't seem to work.

I also uninstalled that ASUS program that makes your screen look 'hot and cold' with filters. I forgot what it's called. Display perfection or something.

Can anyone tell me?

I hope the next driver fixes this.. it's the only problem on this laptop, if it's fixed.. the machine will be simply perfect.

chippo
01-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Chippo can you seriously confirm that Driver 327.23 makes the grey/black lines issue go away? If you're running the driver, can you look at image: http://oi44.tinypic.com/wul44h.jpg to confirm?

I confirm ! Have you check the box clean install during the installation ?

I also uninstalled that ASUS program that makes your screen look 'hot and cold' with filters. I forgot what it's called. Display perfection or something.

IF you read carefully you will have see that doing this doesn't work for me, i have to do a whole new fresh installation of win 8.1. Don't know why but something still here after uninstall asus splendid.

it's the only problem on this laptop, if it's fixed.. the machine will be simply perfect.

I agree, but if it doesn't i will stay with this until there is no more g750jh on the market and go for rma.

landsome
01-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Okay okay but have you read the thread ?

We talk about HORIZONTAL lines wich dissapear with only one driver, the 327.23.

Generaly it's the AUO screens who gets vertical lines and no driver fix it.

So we will wait the next driver from nvidia or asus to see if something good is going on.

Yes, of course, this and several others. And it's not the AUOs only that gets the vertical lines, many or all Chi Meis do, as several threads on these forums attest to.

Wagnard
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Just wanted to tell you guys that Nvidia released 334.67 today and seem to have fixed the issue you reported.

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Just wanted to tell you guys that Nvidia released 334.67 today and seem to have fixed the issue you reported.

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:43 AM
....... holy hellfire, they're fixed. Ooooooh yes. I cannot see a line on ROG site.

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:46 AM
AHAHAHA!! YES!! They made a little work-around. It's no longer lines. I'll keep the information to myself because the knit picky will get cranky. Otherwise, AWESOME!