PDA

View Full Version : G46 - Keyboard Connector Board (Keyboard to MOBO ribbon)

xbi0s
12-25-2013, 04:00 AM
I will start this note off with saying my mSATA installation didn't go too well.

At some point when I had the keyboard removed, I moved the motherboard in a way that caused the connector on the backside of the keyboard to break off. The housing completely removed from the keyboard.

The board has a label "BOT" on the board itself, with all of the connectors coming into it (the power button, the keys, the backlighting, etc...). Does anyone happen to have a part number for that board so I can order a new one?

Or, does anyone know where I can get an entire keyboard assembly... Keyboard, wiring, etc... If it's within a decent price range I will just buy a whole new assembly.

Thank you for your help.

Pitcher@asus
12-25-2013, 05:34 AM
please send to RMA to replace it, becasue i think if you buy ousite, maybe cannot use.

xbi0s
01-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Yeah... Sent it back and they called me today. Want $222 to install a few dollar piece. Over 1/4 of the value of the laptop to replace and install the small board (right side of this image, where the white ribbon cable goes into) as the connector broke off.

I asked them to go ahead and package that laptop back up and send back to me with no changes.

EDIT: If anyone has some leads on getting that circuit board, underside of the keyboard that distributes to the power button, keyboard, back lighting please feel free to share.

KalEl
01-08-2014, 03:41 AM
You might just have to buy the full replacement keyboard set. Looks like they sell it for 69.99 at the Asus Store...

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6012

cl-Albert
01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
You might just have to buy the full replacement keyboard set. Looks like they sell it for 69.99 at the Asus Store...

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6012

Thanks for the suggestion, but if you're looking for the small boards underneath, I'd want to confirm with U.S. and Canadian eStore site that they are included before you purchase the keyboard assembly (or check the return policy?). Actually, it might be nice if there was a picture of the other side too.

Otherwise, you might also ask eStore if it's possible to order any of the parts that's not included, but not sure what they will say.

xbi0s
03-25-2014, 10:41 PM
EDIT: I either have failed to notice this or it has been amended. I will lean on the side that I did not notice. The comments on the item list, "Touchpad Module and BLBD (Connector Board) not included." To eBay to find a replacement it is. :)

Good Evening -

Reader's Digest? Skip to the very bottom where I ask my question :)

So... The cycle continues on this issue. To bring folks up-to-speed on what I have done with this laptop.
1. After Asus sent me a quote of $220 to fix the problem (from the repair center), I asked them to package the laptop up and send it back to me.
2. I have identified many part sales on eBay where folks are sending the entire keyboard module for $75-$125... Probably the route I am leaning as it will fix the issue.

I took the recommendation from KalEl, above, and I checked out the website. Sure enough, that module looks to be what I need. The entire replacement keyboard. The problem is there are not photos of the underside of the keyboard. I sent the below email asking if they could clarify the information:

> Good Evening,
>
> I have an Asus G46VW laptop and recently broke the ribbon connector that
> goes from the motherboard to the bottom of the keyboard on my laptop.
>
> The actual broken piece is on the laptop side that I need to replace.
>
> I was looking at 90R-NMM1K1080Y
>
> The pictures do not show the bottom side of the keyboard. Does this come
> with the circuit board that links the keyboard to the motherboard as well
> as the power button?
>
> I appreciate your assistance... Also, this is not covered under Asus'
> warranty and I do not wish to send back for repair at the dealer. Looking
> specifically to replace myself.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jim

The response I received:

> Thank you for your inquiry. eStore does not carry repairing parts for your computer.
You can send in the computer whether in or out of warranty to get the repairs done to
your computer. You can send an email through this website
http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9.

A bit odd, considering it is a replacement keyboard... and the only way to access and replace the keyboard is by disassembling the laptop. I get it, we need to send it to repair. So, I sent the next email back just asking for a picture of the underside of the keyboard...

I appreciate the response. Is it possible to get a picture of the underside of that
keyboard?

So... I will be honest, I was not expecting to receive a picture back. But, there have been times, in customer service, where there has been that response. The response I have received today:

Hi Jim,

Unfortunatly we do not have a picture of that.

Best Regards,

So... The question I am posting to anyone who may have purchased this item... Or to anyone who works with Asus and could just tell me this answer... Does the replacement keyboard (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6012) have the circuit boards on the underside that connects to the power button and then the ribbon cable component to the motherboard.

The intention of this post is not to point out specific employees (I have removed their names from the email) or folks that I have talked to on the phone. There is product for sale on the website, as a consumer I am interested in buying it, just looking for more details.

I appreciate anyone's time in looking at this!!

cl-Albert
04-04-2014, 08:51 PM
xbi0s, sorry for the delay, but I sent you a PM about this, so you may want to check your mailbox if you haven't seen it already!

SoySaucie
04-18-2014, 03:03 AM
xbi0s, sorry for the delay, but I sent you a PM about this, so you may want to check your mailbox if you haven't seen it already!

I was also wondering, I've have a damage ribbon connecting the keyboard to the motherboard. I just need that ribbon seems like one of the pins is bad, thus the touch pad will not work but everything else works fine.

Xinya E315127 AWM 20696 80C 30V VW-1HF is the ribbon part but i can't seem to find any.

If you're able to direct me in the right way I will very much appreciate it.

ha1o2surfer
05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I have been searching far and wide for that cable and ended up cutting mine and sanding it to make a new connector edge. It was arduous work but It finally did end up working. So annoying, the design choices of laptops are a mystery to me.

xbi0s
06-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Just to update the thread:

I have placed an order for the circuit board that connects the mainboard to the keyboard. Once that comes in, I'll update the thread to see if I was able to resuscitate the machine.

xbi0s
06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Big thank you to cl-Albert for recommending: 90R-NMMCB1000Y from the eStore.

This was the exact part I needed and it seems to be working on the laptop. Started a new thread as the laptop won't post now. :)