PDA

View Full Version : G750JH screen replacement?

sakana
12-25-2013, 08:01 AM
I just purchased a G750JH and am experiencing the "vertical lines" problem with the matte screen.
Basically, the even and odd pixel columns have different brightness, which makes it look like there are vertical lines across the screen.

The same problem has been identified by various other users:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38346-Faint-vertical-lines-in-some-grey-shades-do-you-see-it-too
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2109542
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/718849-asus-g750-officially-announced-143.html

I guess it isn't an issue with some people, but for me it is extremely distracting and has been causing physical irritation, so I was thinking of trying to get the screen switched out via ASUS's RMA process (so as not to void the warranty).

I believe there is a 120hz glossy display this is also used for certain versions of the G750JH; does anyone know whether this screen has the same vertical lines issue?

Also, has anyone else had success with this sort of RMA before? This is clearly a problem inherent to the display's engineering rather than an actual "defect" or software issue, so I am kind of worried that they would just replace the display with the same model, which won't solve anything.

If this doesn't work, I'll probably return it to the store...

BTW I already tried the other recommended solutions like updating the graphics drivers, uninstalling Asus Splendid, etc without any luck. This is clearly a hardware issue!

EDIT:

After sending my laptop in for an RMA, they replaced the AUO B173HW02 V1 with a Chi Mei NT173HGE.
The vertical lines problem was resolved and there were no other obvious display issues.
For anyone else with the exact same screen model and problem (regular pattern of vertical lines across the screen), I would recommend sending it in asking for a screen replacement with a different model.

Pierre990429
12-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I too have a G750JH (French Windows 8 and Keyboard) with AUO 219D (B173HW02 V1) screen.

Sakana, I have tried TWO different glossy screens (LG LP173WF1 C1 and 12), and it was WORSE.
With the other screens I got HORIZONTAL lines, and more visible (not only in dark areas).
Some other guys have also done this, and said the lines were gone. Not for me. Not for my G750JH.
So it can't be the screen.(and THAT'S WHY there is NO comment from ASUS about this)
It must be something linked to the G750 itself : motherboard, customised Geforce 780M (because it's not a "standard" MXM model).
I finally put the AUO screen back.

Many people just don't see these lines, because there are less sensitive to it and/or because they put a larger distance between their eyes and the screen. (lots of folks just say "I don't see it - nope, don't see it")
I wonder : often it's the G750JH users who complaint the most : maybe this phenomenon is worse with the Geforce 780M (than with the 770M).
It's certainly NOT an issue with your particular model because so man other people (like me) describe EXACTLY the same.
Also, the 780M is the only graphics card where the "official" ASUS driver is still the 311.83 version. (But I've tried the other drivers too : doesn't help)

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a JH with a 120Hz screen. I still don't know in which countries these "really" exist. Maybe it's a "further proof" that the JH has a problem ?

I have to stick with this now. But my next laptop WILL NOT be an ASUS. Waiting for Alienware's mobile Maxwell.

Last question : are we 100% sure these things don't happen with other brands, like Alienware ? (in this case it would point at the Geforce 700M itself)

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:24 AM
I have to stick with this now. But my next laptop WILL NOT be an ASUS.

To be fair, you haven't sent in your Asus G750JH for repair, and you have at least a 1 year warranty + I think in Europe you have 2 years? - we used to have 2 years too in the US, but I guess no longer.

Why suffer with the problem when you can RMA it to Asus?

Pierre990429
12-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Why send it for repair, since it's "normal" for this model to have this lines issue ? I think 100% of these G750 are affected, but only a few people don't like it.

If I am wrong, HOW COME THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COMMENT from ASUS here ?

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I just purchased a G750JH and am experiencing the "vertical lines" problem with the matte screen.
Basically, the even and odd pixel columns have different brightness, which makes it look like there are vertical lines across the screen.

The same problem has been identified by various other users:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38346-Faint-vertical-lines-in-some-grey-shades-do-you-see-it-too
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2109542
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/718849-asus-g750-officially-announced-143.html

I guess it isn't an issue with some people, but for me it is extremely distracting and has been causing physical irritation, so I was thinking of trying to get the screen switched out via ASUS's RMA process (so as not to void the warranty).

I believe there is a 120hz glossy display this is also used for certain versions of the G750JH; does anyone know whether this screen has the same vertical lines issue?

Also, has anyone else had success with this sort of RMA before? This is clearly a problem inherent to the display's engineering rather than an actual "defect" or software issue, so I am kind of worried that they would just replace the display with the same model, which won't solve anything.

If this doesn't work, I'll probably return it to the store...

BTW I already tried the other recommended solutions like updating the graphics drivers, uninstalling Asus Splendid, etc without any luck. This is clearly a hardware issue!

sakana, are you running Windows 8 still, or have you updated to Windows 8.1? You can set the display magnification to 100% from the default setting of 125% in Windows 8 and before.

I also have a G750JH, and don't have the lines issue - with or without Splendid - Splendid color tuning doesn't do anything for me so I run without it. I still have the Asus Windows 8 + Windows 8.1 update build.

But another user who loaded Windows 8.1 from scratch when they got their G750JH, and didn't have the lines issue, said they got the lines issue when they tried installing Asus Splendid, and it didn't go away when they uninstalled Splendid! So they did another clean install and no longer have the lines issue. You might want to try that :)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41729-Bad-screen-is-somehow-software-related...&p=353676&viewfull=1#post353676

Before doing a clean install of Windows 8.1, I would back up the Asus Recovery partitions with Asus Backtracker to a 16GB drive - it only makes at most a 20GB partition - I tried a 64GB drive. And, you could backup the RAID boot drive image to a backup disk with a program like Macrium Reflect, so you could restore your configuration should the Windows 8.1 clean install not change the screen problem.

Let us know what you find when moving to a clean install.

Pierre990429
12-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Well, I didn't install 8.1 .

Concerning the display magnification : It wouldn't change anything for games, no ? (which are overriding most color profiles or such settings)

The idea that there are some "remnants" left in the registry or somewhere else after having uninstalled Splendid could be a hint. Could this be investigated ?
Could there be a "bad registry key" that screws up things ? How can we find that ? There can't be so many entries in the Nvidia registry directory, no ?

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Why send it for repair, since it's "normal" for this model to have this lines issue ? I think 100% of these G750 are affected, but only a few people don't like it.

If I am wrong, HOW COME THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COMMENT from ASUS here ?

There is "No Comment" from Asus on most things here. :)

I wouldn't read anything into Asus not commenting on your screen problem in the forum. This is a user support forum where we help each other out, and Asus is just here to moderate.

Also, I wouldn't call a screen that you can't live with "Normal", you need to get tough and get Asus to fix that problem for you.

Have you tried opening a Technical Inquiry and reporting the problem? Asus may even know a fix for it by now, enough time has passed since people have RMA'd their laptops with that problem and already gotten it fixed.

You could also request that they swap it with a 120hz model if they can't fix the problem with the AUO screen / support electronics.

Maybe this is a European G750 build problem? All the complaints are coming from European users (France, Germany, Czech), I don't think I have seen anyone in the US complain about the lines in the display problem? Sakana, are you in the US, or?

hmscott
12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Well, I didn't install 8.1 .
Concerning the display magnification : It wouldn't change anything for games, no ? (which are overriding most color profiles or such settings)
The idea that there are some "remnants" left in the registry or somewhere else after having uninstalled Splendid could be a hint. Could this be investigated ?
Could there be a "bad registry key" that screws up things ? How can we find that ? There can't be so many entries in the Nvidia registry directory, no ?
If it's this, I will humbly recognize that I was wrong.....

It isn't so much 8.1, as it is having a clean install where you don't install anything Asus - I think Splendid is what he thought did it, but then again, it might be a combination of stuff. Sometimes companies share dev libs/kits that rely on shared libraries that might not get uninstalled if another app from the same company is also running when you try to uninstall. The shared library causing the problem is kept because it is open.

You could try backing up your configuration, and then do a clean install of WIndows 8.1, to another drive if you like too - make sure to preserve your build/config before playing around too much - it is easy to get confused and blow away your boot drive if you aren't doing this often.

You could also do an install to an external USB / Thunderbolt drive and boot on that too.

Given all you have been through this seems like something worth trying.

sakana
12-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Pierre990429, are you sure we are having the same issue?
Were the vertical lines you experienced uniform across the entire screen, or did they look more like glitchy artifacts?

For me, they are the former. The lines are fine, completely uniform, and appear the same across the entire screen regardless of the resolution, magnification, or background color.
To describe it, it looks like a detailed texture has been overlayed across the screen, which is probably why some people don't complain about it.
The lines even show up on the BIOS screen, so I think they are inherent to the screen itself and not related to bloatware or any Windows display settings.
Does everyone's displays have the same problem?

Pierre990429, before you switched to a glossy screen did you have the exact same issue that I am describing? The "horizontal lines" problem sounds more like a software settings or compatibility issue, but I'm not experiencing it so I can't really comment.

BTW, has anyone with the exact same issue as me tried replacing their screen (or RMA'ing it) with any success? This is the information I need!

sakana
12-25-2013, 04:09 PM
For reference, I took a picture of the vertical lines phenomenon with my phone's camera.
This is a zoom-up of the "Mail" button in Win8 Metro. Can you see how the vertical lines are alternating between dark and light, while the horizontal lines are all uniform?

This is the same problem, right?

http://i.imgur.com/nBj17XH.jpg

hmscott
12-25-2013, 05:31 PM
For reference, I took a picture of the vertical lines phenomenon with my phone's camera.
This is a zoom-up of the "Mail" button in Win8 Metro. Can you see how the vertical lines are alternating between dark and light, while the horizontal lines are all uniform?
This is the same problem, right?

Here is a photo taken at 2" from my G750JH screen, same Mail icon from Start screen.

Pierre990429
12-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Sakana, please take a look at the photos in the other threads, like here : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40762-Anyone-replace-their-AUO-matte-screen&country=&status= , page 4.

I have posted an example of the vertical lines in Skyrim and said where you see it easily (Intro/Menu).

These vertical lines show mostly on dark background.

AS WEIRD AS IT SOUNDS, when I switched to the LG screens, the vertical lines became horizontal. Go figure. (but same thing : only on "some" backgrounds)

I assume I see the same thing as you. You haven't said if you have an AUO screen, btw.

To your question : in a French forum, someone who got an AUO had his reseller change the screen : he then got a Chi-Mei : he said it was worse and described a grid pattern (don't know exactly, didn't see it). He gave up and returned the laptop.

Another one, here, Chokko, changed for exactly the same LG screen as I tried. He says it's fine now.
That's all I know.

Hmscott, do you play games ? Can you launch Skyrim and look closely at the "fog" in the menu for 1 minute ? No lines in certain (NOT ALL) shades of grey ?

I think the "effect" doesn't show EXACTLY the same for everyone : it depends on the color, brightness and gamma settings.

sakana
12-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Hmscott's screen seems to be showing the exact same pattern as mine.
Do the lines bother you, or would you say that everything is working as expected?

I couldn't find a place that lists my display's manufacturer, but because I purchased the "matte" screen version, I have to assume that it is the AUO model.

Pierre990429, the horizontal stripes on the LG screen do indeed look pretty terrible. They seem thicker though, which makes me think that they could be occurring for a different reason, but I have no idea really... And the Skyrim pic does look pretty similar to mine.

Thanks for the responses. Now I have to decide whether to go through RMA or return it...

hmscott
12-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Hmscott's screen seems to be showing the exact same pattern as mine.
Do the lines bother you, or would you say that everything is working as expected?

I couldn't find a place that lists my display's manufacturer, but because I purchased the "matte" screen version, I have to assume that it is the AUO model.

Pierre990429, the horizontal stripes on the LG screen do indeed look pretty terrible. They seem thicker though, which makes me think that they could be occurring for a different reason, but I have no idea really... And the Skyrim pic does look pretty similar to mine.

Thanks for the responses. Now I have to decide whether to go through RMA or return it...

sakana, no the screen pattern doesn't bother me, I play games, watch blu-ray movies, streaming video, and the screen doesn't bother me. The Chi Mei screen I had before didn't bother me either. I like both screens and don't have any problem with them. Did both screens take some tuning to get the best image possible out of them both, yes - all screens need tuning.

Here is my reaction soon after getting the G750JH, about the screen:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40762-Anyone-replace-their-AUO-matte-screen&p=349368&viewfull=1#post349368

chippo (not chokko, a different guy), discovered that starting with a clean Windows 8.1 install he liked the screen images better - installing Asus Splendid caused the images to change for the worse and he had to reinstall a clean Windows 8.1 to get the screen images back that he liked:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41729-Bad-screen-is-somehow-software-related...&p=353676&viewfull=1#post353676

I may try this after the holidays and see if I care one way or the other. You and Pierre990429 might want to try this before giving up on a great laptop. :)

The power of both the graphics and cpu + solid build just can't be beat for the price.

All LCD screens of 1920x1080 are going to have characteristics that might offend anyone one way or the other when magnified beyond normal vision. At normal unmagnified viewing the images are pleasing to me, and others at work have commented how much they like the screen - of course I didn't lead with "I think the screen sucks, what do you think?" :)

If you are seeing artifacts in games, perhaps it is the game rendering engine that is the issue. It is likely that every screen's underlying mesh pattern - they all have it, that "mask" might "beat" at just the right angle/time to cause an interference pattern to emerge.

I haven't seen it, I don't have Skyrim, and I haven't seen it yet. If I do I will try the clean install of Windows 8.1 on a spare disk and see if it makes enough difference to make the effort to move over all my installs / configs to live under a clean install.

You might ask Chippo in the other thread to download Skyrim and try it and see if he sees the patterns running on his clean Windows 8.1 install.

Even the Retina displays have a downside => they require a lot more pixels to be moved around and slow things down - and decrease battery life. It's all trade offs.

If you are going to run an external monitor when home, then much of the time you won't be looking at the LCD either. I on the other hand look at the built-in LCD all day and I like it :)

Here is my screen info, yes it is an AUO:

I should also mention again here, like in a couple of other threads, I turn down the screen brightness on the AUO screen, way down. It is blazing bright to me:

If you aren't already turning the brightness down, give that a try too :)

Here is a test I run through to see if everything is ok on a screen:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

For the Chi Mei the Inversion (pixel-walk) images flickered, I think it was 4b primarily, but raising the refresh rate to 85hz and above, I ran at 100hz, stopped the flickering. I don't see anything wrong with the AUO screen going through this site.

sakana
12-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the writeup hmscott.

I just confirmed that I have the exact same AUO model as you, which makes sense.

I've already tried everything you said, but the problem Pierre and I are experiencing is clearly an issue inherent with the display's engineering.

I wasn't seeing any artifacts to begin with, so none of the software settings had any effect on the underlying issue, which is how images are displayed on this specific AUO model. (unless we all just happen to have defective screens...)

I sent in a detailed RMA request to Asus asking if they can switch out the screen for a different model, so I'll wait and see how they respond.

I'm just hoping they aren't going to tell me that it's my problem and everything is functioning as intended...

chokko
12-26-2013, 12:18 AM
sounds like the same vertical lines issue I had - uniform across the screen and extremely annoying at siting distance.

I also had win8 initially, the vertical lines were there before and after the upgrade to 8.1

I upgraded my display to a LG, and the model number was slightly different to Pierres (need to go find that thread I started).

Since I last posted, I have noticed some slight horizontal lines, occasionally in some (not all) dark scenes. However these are very hard to see in comparison to the AUO vertical lines, and I am happy to live with it.

Would be interesting to see what Asus does if you send it in. I didn't go down that route as I wanted to use the laptop over xmas.

hmscott
12-26-2013, 01:00 AM
I also had win8 initially, the vertical lines were there before and after the upgrade to 8.1

chokko, did you do a clean install of 8.0/8.1 without any Asus software? Or did you start with the Asus OEM 8.0 install and update that to 8.1?

hmscott
12-26-2013, 01:03 AM
I sent in a detailed RMA request to Asus asking if they can switch out the screen for a different model, so I'll wait and see how they respond.

I'm just hoping they aren't going to tell me that it's my problem and everything is functioning as intended...

Cool, let us know how that works out, it will likely take a few exchanges of emails to get resolution, hang in there :)

Pierre990429
12-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Hello, Chokko,

as a matter of fact I tried TWO LG screens, and the last one was exactly the reference you told us : LP173WF1 TL A2.
I must say Screen Country is great and lets you (if you ask, for example via their chat box) pick the exact reference you want. And they ship worlwide. (but you'll have to pay some taxes)
I saw then horizontal lines, as you now see too. That's why I think it's a design flaw; could be the motherboard, the geforce, the drivers.

Since I last posted, I have noticed some slight horizontal lines, occasionally in some (not all) dark scenes. However these are very hard to see in comparison to the AUO vertical lines, and I am happy to live with it.

So I wasn't dreaming after all! :) I guess the "intensity" of the lines depends on your brightness/gamma settings, and what the game's displaying, of course. But you'll have to admit that it's a very strange phenomenon.
I was so disgusted to have now horizontal lines that I said to myself : well, it's not the screen after all; and since Asus "chose" AUO, maybe (maybe) it's one of the screens where it is a bit less disturbing. Don't know, maybe my eyes are less sensible to "vertical" lines than "horizontal" ones ? And the horizontal ones from the LG screen also seemed to appear in "less dark" areas (sometimes).

Is it needless to say that the LG screens in my two Dell laptops (M170 from 2005 and M1710 from 2008) do not have ANY of these weird symptoms ? NO "screen pattern" whatsoever, good colors, contrast and viewing angles. (those were glossy & CCFL backlighted screens - very great : LP171WU1TL (for "TrueLife") xx ; the "xx" is the exact "sub-reference" - the screen pin-connector is of course different, and there is a power connector as well, for the "bulb")

Sakana,

another guy in France already tried a replacement screen and got a Chi-Mei. As I said, this one was, according to him, really grainy and bad.
A French laptop screen reseller told me that Lenovo ordered hundreds of thousands of screens for a new model, and that there is a shortage of screens (some brands only). So if you go through the "normal" channel, you'll end - there is a big chance - with a Chi-Mei (because apparently those ones are in stock).
Anyway, as it doesn't seem screen related..... I dunno if it will be better.

Did you tell us in which country you are ? And what is your model's name ? Mine is : Asus G750JH-T4076H.

sakana
12-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Did you tell us in which country you are ? And what is your model's name ? Mine is : Asus G750JH-T4076H.

USA, ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71

Got it from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-G750JH-DB71-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00EZ8BJNK

Pierre990429
12-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Ok, thanks.
btw, Aida64 : http://www.aida64.com/downloads will tell you which screen you have. (but with vertical lines, it has to be an AUO)

sakana
12-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah, the screen I have is a AUO B173HW02 V1
http://www.panelook.com/B173HW02%20V1_AUO_17.3_LCM_parameter_17335.html

Here is the response to my RMA request:
"As the problems might be related to hardware, you need to send in it for the repair service. Whether it will be replaced is determined by RMA center."

I'm feeling like the odds are pretty high that the maintenance guy will take a look at it, say that the screen is functioning according to specifications, and send it back after 1 or 2 weeks.

I don't have this kind of time to waste, so I think I'm going to try to replace the screen myself.

If I do this, the hard part will be finding a screen that is both fully compatible and doesn't have any other issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a screen?

Here is a search on panelook for screens that have (similar) compatibility with the default AUO:
http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?op=advancedsearch&order=panel_id&by=desc&production_state=1&panel_type_main=TFT&inch_low=17.3&inch_high=17.3&resolution_pixels=19201080&signal_type_category=LVDS&vertical_frequency=60&lamp_type=WLED&production_state=-1

I saw elsewhere that the AUO B173HW01 V4 is apparently pretty good, but I'm not sure whether it's 100% compatible.
The signal interface pin configuration is "LVDS-40P2C6B-010E" rather than "LVDS-40P2C6B-010A". It's the same number of pins though, so it might work... but I'm not an expert.
http://www.panelook.com/B173HW01%20V4_AUO_17.3_LCM_parameter_738.html

Anyway, I'm going to keep researching...

sakana
12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Then again, it looks like someone else had success with the Asus Service Center, so I might call them up and see what they say...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40762-Anyone-replace-their-AUO-matte-screen&country=&status=

Pierre990429
12-27-2013, 09:05 AM
As I said, I don't think it's screen related, because other (good) screens, which would look and work perfectly elsewhere, show similar issues when used with the G750JH. You might find another screen where it looks better for you, though.

But my guess is that every AUO will show vertical lines, and every LG horizontal lines. The intensity will depend on the model and your color/brightness settings.

Also, I wonder if the "matte" coating could "lessen" the visual impact of the lines. (anyway for me, the horizontal lines on the LG - glossy - seemed worse)

The AUO B173HW01 V4 isn't manufactured anymore, btw, so it could be difficult to find at a reseller who only sells new stuff - unless it "sits" in his stock.

Pierre990429
12-28-2013, 03:12 PM
I found someone ( "wewooo" ) posting about "horizontal lines in dark areas" in the Alienware forum :

Page 307 : http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/721578-official-alienware-17-owners-lounge-thread-307.html

Page 309 : http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/721578-official-alienware-17-owners-lounge-thread-309.html

Coincidence ?

hmscott
12-28-2013, 04:04 PM
I found someone ( "wewooo" ) posting about "horizontal lines in dark areas" in the Alienware forum :

Page 307 : http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/721578-official-alienware-17-owners-lounge-thread-307.html

Page 309 : http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/721578-official-alienware-17-owners-lounge-thread-309.html

Coincidence ?

Maybe you should be complaining to Nvidia? Seems like it is the interaction with the LCD screen and the Nvidia GPU. Have you searched through these forums?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

Doing a search of those forums for horizontal lines, came up with lots of stuff:

https://forums.geforce.com/search/more/sitecommentsearch/horizontal%20lines/

Unfortunately there are 133 pages of seemingly unsorted results, old stuff mixed in with new stuff...

Here are the ones mentioning vertical lines:
https://forums.geforce.com/search/more/sitecommentsearch/vertical%20lines/

So, it might be software related, you might want to try the clean install method that chippo found successful.

Pierre990429
12-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes, I follow the Geforce forums too. (mainly because I have a Geforce 580 GTX in my desktop, and apparently it's still not "safe" to go beyond 314.22 with this "old" (???) chip - I have zero issues with these "old" drivers, though)

Nothing concerning vertic/horiz lines here (at least as we mean it). Makes me think it's geforce 7xxM specific. And the "mobile section" of these forums isn't much frequented.

Clean install? Well, I really don't want to do this. And I'm not totally convinced it is the answer.

I just booted into BIOS to see, and I think I could see the vertical pattern (too bad the BIOS menu isn't in black and grey....) In BIOS, there's no Geforce driver, no OS-related stuff loaded, right ?

If someone has a Windows 8 Bart-PE and tries it....

EDIT: if "clean install" means "as it was when I first turned the computer on" (read this from another thread) , .... well, I have it already. I didn't change or install any fancy stuff, left the default Nvidia driver, disabled Windows Update.

hmscott
12-29-2013, 05:05 AM
EDIT: if "clean install" means "as it was when I first turned the computer on" (read this from another thread) , .... well, I have it already. I didn't change or install any fancy stuff, left the default Nvidia driver, disabled Windows Update.

In this case chippo is talking about installing Windows 8.1 from Microsoft Media, and only installing the needed hardware drivers - and making sure not to install Asus Splendid - if you read his post again, he is pretty clear.

Normally a "clean install" is to restore back to factory settings. In this case that includes having Asus Splendid installed - and that is somehow affecting video display even after being uninstalled.

Pierre990429
12-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Well, the weird thing is that it does NOT happen on an external monitor. But I'm not an expert in graphics cards signals, so maybe when the video signal uses another route (through the VGA or HDMI connector) , it's handled differently. (sounds curious, but how do explain it ?)

IF it is Splendid, there should be a registry key to "track". Can't be that complicated. ("exporting" a registry folder and then examining it ?)
Then, there have people in the past who said it was fixed and after a while admitted that it was still there, maybe in a different way. (like Chokko about the horizontal lines on the LG)

And I'm sure there is no ASUS Splendid on an Alienware.

I NEVER re-installed any OS in my computers. Still have a Win98SE from 2001, and its registry is pretty "sane" (even if I installed/uninstalled zounds of stuff). There is always (I think) an easier solution.

wrangler
12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I NEVER re-installed any OS in my computers. Still have a Win98SE from 2001, and its registry is pretty "sane" (even if I installed/uninstalled zounds of stuff). There is always (I think) an easier solution.

I don't remember re-installing an OS on a PC, either, and I go back to DOS 3. I can't say that it was necessarily easier to fix problems, but I was always stubborn about learning what was wrong and fixing it. Who knows -- I could reinstall and end up with the same problem a couple months later, and still not know how to fix it.

Pierre990429
12-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I only go back to DOS 5.0, and its "magical" DOS=HIGH to free "low" memory for the games' EXEs... it was the "golden age" where you had to really understand what happened : EMM386.EXE necessary or not ? (some "newer" (end of 1993, hah!) games like "Comanche" didn't work with it) ; EMS or XMS memory ? ; SMARTDRV as cache ? - but some games like Wing Commander III would crash with it, because they had their own cache system ; etc......... The Dos-Extender DOS 4GW from Rational Software made this somewhat easier, if the concerned game was built with it.

Windows 95 made a backup of its System.dat & User.dat files at each boot. Windows 98 didn't anymore, but I often made backups myself. All I had to do was to boot into DOS and change the files to "restore" Windows. I only used this once or twice, I think.

Oh, and one time I had to do a "SYS C:" from a floppy because for some reason , probably a DOS "demo" (from "demomakers" - look at http://www.scene.org/ ), my MBR was screwed and my hard-drive wasn't bootable anymore. (SYS, not FORMAT, so I didn't lose anything)

Sorry for this nostalgic post. :)

hmscott
12-29-2013, 11:26 AM
...If it is Splendid, there should be a registry key to "track". Can't be that complicated. ("exporting" a registry folder and then examining it ?)
Then, there have people in the past who said it was fixed and after a while admitted that it was still there, maybe in a different way. (like Chokko about the horizontal lines on the LG)
And I'm sure there is no ASUS Splendid on an Alienware.

You/we are never going to be happy with anything, and will always find fault in whatever video device you/we have. It isn't something that can be fixed, but it is something that can be changed into something more pleasing to some than defaults.

Somehow I, and others, find a way to focus on the content and accept that this is a simulacrum of reality, not actual reality. It is always going to be less than perfect, always having anomalies dragging you out of the suspended disbelief of enjoying the content.

There are people complaining about various rendering anomalies on Nvidia's site and ATI's site going back years, this isn't news. And, I think you know that.

The offensive video anomalies that chippo got rid of by doing a Windows 8.1 install without Asus Splendid made the video more enjoyable for him. It might do that for you too, but you won't know by talking to me, you need to do it yourself.

You should be talking with chippo and posting questions in his thread, not discussing it here - you aren't getting responses from him because he isn't following this thread...

If you and chippo work together perhaps you can find out the specific cruft Asus Splendid is leaving behind, and you can then remove them from the standard Asus install and everyone won't have to reinstall. But, someone is going to have to do that work to figure out what it is that is getting polluted :)

Bad screen is somehow software related...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41729-Bad-screen-is-somehow-software-related...

hmscott
12-29-2013, 11:28 AM
...Who knows -- I could reinstall and end up with the same problem a couple months later, and still not know how to fix it.

Not if you don't give in to the temptation to try a "new" Asus Splendid release like chippo did :)

wrangler
12-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I only go back to DOS 5.0, and its "magical" DOS=HIGH to free "low" memory for the games' EXEs... it was the "golden age" where you had to really understand what happened : EMM386.EXE necessary or not ? (some "newer" (end of 1993, hah!) games like "Comanche" didn't work with it) ; EMS or XMS memory ? ; SMARTDRV as cache ? - but some games like Wing Commander III would crash with it, because they had their own cache system ; etc......... The Dos-Extender DOS 4GW from Rational Software made this somewhat easier, if the concerned game was built with it.

Windows 95 made a backup of its System.dat & User.dat files at each boot. Windows 98 didn't anymore, but I often made backups myself. All I had to do was to boot into DOS and change the files to "restore" Windows. I only used this once or twice, I think.

Oh, and one time I had to do a "SYS C:" from a floppy because for some reason , probably a DOS "demo" (from "demomakers" - look at http://www.scene.org/ ), my MBR was screwed and my hard-drive wasn't bootable anymore. (SYS, not FORMAT, so I didn't lose anything)

Sorry for this nostalgic post. :)
I remember playing with all that stuff, too, and the Windows *.ini files. And adjusting EMS, XMS, audio and other drivers, etc., for each Windows shortcut for a DOS game. Seems to me that some of that knowledge came in handy when I set up some old games on Dosbox a couple years ago.

wrangler
12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Not if you don't give in to the temptation to try a "new" Asus Splendid release like chippo did :)
So far I haven't run into problems, so I haven't done anything other than upgrade to Windows 8.1. My video driver is 2702, but I don't know if the 8 updates or 8.1 made that change. I've been busy, so I haven't tried any games yet; we'll see what happens then.

hmscott
12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Here is a photo taken at 2" from my G750JH screen, same Mail icon from Start screen.

After doing a truly clean install of the Nvidia 331.82 driver, I noticed the Start Screen looked a lot smoother... and took this photo to compare against the earlier photo above:

Is it just me, or does the new photo look like it is missing the dark vertical troughs (lines) that the first photo evidenced?

The forum software isn't filling in the photo in the quote, but you can click on the link and it will bring up the photo - click to zoom, and I think you will see that the old photo has dark lines separating the blue even color, and the new photo has no such dark lines :)

Here is the post where I detailed what I did, Post #38
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41844-new-nVIDIA-Driver-from-ASUS&p=356178&viewfull=1#post356178

Pierre990429
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I never saw these lines on white or light blue background.

You need to check this image, for example :

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/pierre_67/BethSoftForum_a_zps954c4e91.png (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/pierre_67/media/BethSoftForum_a_zps954c4e91.png.html)

No vertical pattern anywhere in this image ? (from the Bethsoft Skyrim Forum)
With my actual monitor setting, I spot some at the right side of the middle section.

If it seems normal for you, modify your gamma settings, and retry. As said multiple times, it depends on the color settings, but eventually, you'll come across a color shade that is "buggy".

Moreover, the whole bottom section, below the text ("can you link... please"), is black on the G750 (again, with my actual settings). Normally, I should see the silhouette of the Dragonborn, which sems to have disappeared.
I can see it again if I increase the gamma (and change my color settings)....

If you "play" with contrast, brightness and gamma in the Nvidia panel, you can make "disappear" some lines, but others will appear for colors/shades where there weren't lines before you changed the setting.... it's hopeless.

See, I increased the gamma, and the lines at the right/middle section are gone. I can see the bottom of the silhouette again, BUT some lines have appeared at the right/bottom area.

And anyway : the German guy said it can be seen in Linux too. So, can it be caused by a piece of Windows software ?

hmscott
12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I never saw these lines on white or light blue background.

You need to check this image, for example :

No vertical pattern anywhere in this image ? (from the Bethsoft Skyrim Forum)
With my actual monitor setting, I spot some at the right side of the middle section.

If it seems normal for you, modify your gamma settings, and retry. As said multiple times, it depends on the color settings, but eventually, you'll come across a color shade that is "buggy".

Moreover, the whole bottom section, below the text ("can you link... please"), is black on the G750 (again, with my actual settings). Normally, I should see the silhouette of the Dragonborn, which sems to have disappeared.
I can see it again if I increase the gamma (and change my color settings)....

If you "play" with contrast, brightness and gamma in the Nvidia panel, you can make "disappear" some lines, but others will appear for colors/shades where there weren't lines before you changed the setting.... it's hopeless.

See, I increased the gamma, and the lines at the right/middle section are gone. I can see the bottom of the silhouette again, BUT some lines have appeared at the right/bottom area.

And anyway : the German guy said it can be seen in Linux too. So, can it be caused by a piece of Windows software ?

The image as downloaded and blown up, in any magnification, looks fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary. I check the middle - looks good, and the in the whole bottom area I see the shape / shades / dark and light areas clearly with no vagueness in the image. It looks great.

As you describe your difficulty in seeing the bottom half silhouette it concerns me that you have your monitor gamma/settings so far out of whack that you can't make out the image - it is very well defined and easily seen on my screen.

I wonder if you haven't over corrected to the point where you shouldn't do a complete reset back to stock settings and see if you can get your eyes to adjust to it. I have those settings and it all looks fine. On the same laptop, screen, graphics card, OS, drivers, etc.

As far as someone seeing the same effect under Linux as under Windows - this says to me it is a problem that isn't corrected under either OS. Whether it is correctable or not under one, the other, or both is yet to be seen... :)

As you all describe the problem, I am sure I would see it if I was seeing it, but I am not seeing it.

I tried to find a demo download of Skyrim, but all I got was 3GB of videos of a demo of the game. And, I am not going to spend $50 on a game I am told will look poorly on my laptop/screen, at least for now. Any pointers to a playable demo - not pirated ?

Pierre990429
12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't think a "demo" for Skyrim exists, sadly....

btw, what are your parameters ? I use the Nvidia color correction, at luminosity 30 , contrast 45 , gamma 0.80 (probably too dark) , the windows "brightness" settings is at ~75% , for both battery and AC, and on "normal" . I've uninstalled Power4gear because I couldn't stand the "auto-dim" thing, and it did override the "normal" windows system.

hmscott
12-31-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't think a "demo" for Skyrim exists, sadly....

btw, what are your parameters ? I use the Nvidia color correction, at luminosity 30 , contrast 45 , gamma 0.80 (probably too dark) , the windows "brightness" settings is at ~75% , for both battery and AC, and on "normal" . I've uninstalled Power4gear because I couldn't stand the "auto-dim" thing, and it did override the "normal" windows system.

You will be amazed to know i run everything "flat" - no adjustment except I drop the brightness down to about 75%

That is why I suggested undoing all the display tuning tweaks, and get back to stock - after weeks of playing with the tuning I know I have tuned myself into a corner and resetting seems to let the eye's recalibrate.

The only Nvidia settings I have tweaked are for 3D, and change most for performance away from quality - overriding them via specific game configs. Oh, and I have a custom resolution 1920x1080 @ 70hz.

chippo
01-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Pfffff on the image of skyrim i see light horizontal bar if i look in very front of my screen on the darkest grey\black area, one line grey the other black and etc, it's look like it doesnt know how make very "black grey" i didn't notice that except sometimes but i tought it was my imagination sometimes.... the lines aren't "soldered on the image" they stay "soldered" on the screen when i roll up or down.... ( excuse my english )

Frack, this is my only +1000 euro pc in my life and i've been caught... i Will go search on JHA, i don't want to see my laptop go in rma because i install ssd and it's the only thing that keep me awake at my work all nights...

chippo
01-01-2014, 03:57 AM
I continue to say that was a very big improvement with a fresh copy of w8.1 without asus bloatware, however i have a cm screen so Chi Mei 173HGE ( CMO1720 ), G750jh buy in france.

I've got lines only on number 2 and a little on 1 and 3 but the others are totaly fines : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

It seems to be connected to Dithering...

I dig all the night and it seems to be driver related because others users seems to have the line removed by instaling old driver post 306.97, sadly i can't say that for sure because it won't let me install drivers due to time 780m doesn't exist even with ini tweak.

So after all i think it's not smart idea to rma to asus, would be better to open a ticket to nvidia, but i see a lot of topic on their site talking about this problem and they are not answered. Only they have fix the problem for 500m series...

hmscott
01-01-2014, 07:49 AM
I continue to say that was a very big improvement with a fresh copy of w8.1 without asus bloatware, however i have a cm screen so Chi Mei 173HGE ( CMO1720 ), G750jh buy in france.

I've got lines only on number 2 and a little on 1 and 3 but the others are totaly fines : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

It seems to be connected to Dithering...

I dig all the night and it seems to be driver related because others users seems to have the line removed by instaling old driver post 306.97, sadly i can't say that for sure because it won't let me install drivers due to time 780m doesn't exist even with ini tweak.

So after all i think it's not smart idea to rma to asus, would be better to open a ticket to nvidia, but i see a lot of topic on their site talking about this problem and they are not answered. Only they have fix the problem for 500m series...

Thanks for the continuing debugging info chippo.

I looked at the images, and I don't see lines in any of the boxes. I even clicked and dragged a copy to the desktop and used irfanview to blow it up.

I have Nvidia default settings with no gamma/contrast correction only decreased brightness to + 75% brightnessh. I feel I have ave the contrast / brightness nicely set as I can just see the individual edges of boxes 1,2,3 etc in the first row, and in the last row, 255 is nice and bright, with the others on that row nice and grey.

If you are seeing lines in 2, 1 and 3, you probably have your contrast/brightness out of whack. You have a Chi Mei, which I was able to run comfortably on higher brightness settings - if you had an AUO as on most of our JH's I would recommend turning down the brightness a lot - like down to 75%.

In the first row I get an increasing sense of the edges if I look at each edge, it isn't till 6 that I get a clear view of the whole square.

I am running a clean install of 331.82 after deleting all the Nvidia files, folders, and registry entries via DDU 9.9.2 with wifi disable and ethernet unplugged during the DDU run under Safemode and the following install of 331.82 under normal mode immediately afterwards.

chippo
01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Okay now i'm sure it's softare related, i can reproduce the line or not, simply by installing nvidia driver 327.23 all lines are gone !!!!!

If I reinstall latest r331 lines cames back...

Thanks to
I am also not overly fond of the grainy CMO1720, but at least I got the "horizontal lines" issue in check, which rather seems to be a graphics driver than a hardware related issue:

Nvidia driver 327.23 for the GeForce 770M works nicely with or without Splendid. I had 331.65 installed and suddenly noticed these weird horizontal lines, only a few but noticeable ones without and tons of them with the latest "Splendid". 327.23 doesn't have the lines, if you look very closely it looks a bit like a checkerboard or thinner lines, it is basically not noticeable unless you search for it.

For now I recommend 327.23, I hope it works for you, too. :)

Edit: 331.93 BETA (27 Nov 2013) and 331.82 (19 Nov 2013) unfortunately have lines with Splendid and less noticeable but still annoying odd line-artefacts/lines without.

sakana
01-08-2014, 07:18 AM
I got my G750JH back from RMA.

HUGE SUCCESS!

They replaced my screen with a Chi Mei NT173HGE and the vertical lines problem is gone!

I played Far Cry 3 a couple hours for good measure, but could not find any vertical or horizontal lines or graphical anomalies, even at night. As far as I can tell, the display quality is pretty good as well.

So the problem (for me anyway) was definitely the screen. Other people might have software or other hardware related issues, but in my case it was just the screen.

If you have the same problem I am having, I recommend RMA! Good luck all!

hmscott
01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I got my G750JH back from RMA.

HUGE SUCCESS!

They replaced my screen with a Chi Mei NT173HGE and the vertical lines problem is gone!

I played Far Cry 3 a couple hours for good measure, but could not find any vertical or horizontal lines or graphical anomalies, even at night. As far as I can tell, the display quality is pretty good as well.

So the problem (for me anyway) was definitely the screen. Other people might have software or other hardware related issues, but in my case it was just the screen.

If you have the same problem I am having, I recommend RMA! Good luck all!

Congratulations Sakana, glad you got it fixed on RMA :)

How long did it take, between shipping it out and receiving it back from Asus?

sakana
01-09-2014, 09:32 AM
They fixed it and shipped it back the day the RMA facility received it. The repaired laptop arrived ~3 business days after they shipped it.
It would be nice if there were faster shipping options, but oh well.

hmscott
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
They fixed it and shipped it back the day the RMA facility received it. The repaired laptop arrived ~3 business days after they shipped it.
It would be nice if there were faster shipping options, but oh well.

They may not have said it, but they ship back to you the same rate/speed you send it to them. I have sent it Fedex next day, and they have done the same :)

sakana
01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
This is really weird, I am now seeing horizontal lines on my Chi Mei screen.

It is a different phenomenon then on the AUO screen however.
On the AUO screen, the lines were vertical and constant across the entire screen. They stood out more and were pretty much visible everywhere.

On the Chi Mei screen, sometimes the lines are extremely obvious, sometimes they are vague, and sometimes I can't even notice them. For some reason, they stand out the most against grayish colors. (Thankfully, overall it's not as bad as the AUO screen)

But what's really strange is that they started happening out of the blue. After performing a full clean install of Windows 8.1 without any extra junk (pretty much following the guide on http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=192 ) (tweak arena forums) I used my computer normally playing games etc for several days without seeing any lines. Today I woke up my computer from sleep and now I see the lines! I haven't changed the drivers or anything, so how is this even possible?

Actually when I started writing this post the lines were extremely visible but now I can barely see them (they seem to come in and out? or maybe now they go away a little after the monitor has warmed up??). I have no idea what's going on, although I have a feeling that it has to do with the screen technology (or that something is happening to the signal before it reaches the screen).

Anyone have any clue? BTW my NVIDIA driver is version 326.83. Has anyone had any luck with a more recent version?

chippo
01-16-2014, 01:39 AM
This is really weird, I am now seeing horizontal lines on my Chi Mei screen.

Anyone have any clue? BTW my NVIDIA driver is version 326.83. Has anyone had any luck with a more recent version?

Try 327.23 with clean install box checked, no horizontal lines.

Ps : seriously 5 post up...