PDA

View Full Version : quick question relating to steam / retails copies of games

james_cooper_89
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
if i buy a retail game eg ghosts / bf4 and install on my laptop, link to steam etc

will i need the disc everytime i want to play?

i like the idea of downloading my games so no discs are needed, and obviously its quiter with no disc spinning up

only reason i ask its its cheaper, ghosts was on offer in tesco for 25, and cuts out the download time.

thanks

hmscott
12-25-2013, 11:29 AM
if i buy a retail game eg ghosts / bf4 and install on my laptop, link to steam etc

i like the idea of downloading my games so no discs are needed, and obviously its quiter with no disc spinning up

only reason i ask its its cheaper, ghosts was on offer in tesco for 25, and cuts out the download time.

thanks

Try it and let us know. I have done it before and used the Steam version, and all you need to do is be online when playing so Steam can validate the license. If you want to play offline - without internet available - you might want to keep the disk for such a time - say after the start of the Zombie Apocalypse when the internet service gets spotty ;)

james_cooper_89
12-25-2013, 12:02 PM
ah, great stuff, so once the game is installed, so long as im online and launch the game via steam i souldnt need the disc?

:o thats my worst nightmare, dont care about zombes (i have a foolproof zombie apocalypse plan) i cannot loose the internet :0 lol

hmscott
12-25-2013, 12:04 PM
ah, great stuff, so once the game is installed, so long as im online and launch the game via steam i souldnt need the disc?

:o thats my worst nightmare, dont care about zombes (i have a foolproof zombie apocalypse plan) i cannot loose the internet :0 lol

Ah, a joiner not a fighter then? Become a Zombie so that the internet is no longer an issue,? sweet :)

Like I said, let us know how it works for you, every program is different, and some you can't migrate to Steam...and if you haven't bought the game yet, send a query to Steam support and ask if that particular game is supported to integrate into steam - and you might as well ask them about needing the disk to play too :)

james_cooper_89
12-25-2013, 12:21 PM
id be a fighter, until i get bored, then il probably give in lol

yeah thats an idea, guessings ghosts will be good, but bf4 is origin so id have to ask them.

im guessing realisticly its not possible, otherwise everyone would be doing it as its a lot cheaper than the steam prices

39.99 for mw3 and black ops 1??? crazy pricing on 2-3 year old games

hmscott
12-25-2013, 12:24 PM
id be a fighter, until i get bored, then il probably give in lol

yeah thats an idea, guessings ghosts will be good, but bf4 is origin so id have to ask them.

im guessing realisticly its not possible, otherwise everyone would be doing it as its a lot cheaper than the steam prices

39.99 for mw3 and black ops 1??? crazy pricing on 2-3 year old games

It is worth checking out, they might support it, they want people to invest their time in their eco system, it is a benefit to them as long as the game license owner lets them do it.

For that matter, you could just wait for a sale on Steam, and get the games there :) (no, I don't work at Steam)

james_cooper_89
12-25-2013, 12:37 PM
oh i have :p been taking advantage of these sales, i picked bf3 up for 11.99 from origin the day i got my laptop :)
ive had sims 3, assasins creed 2, and farcry 3 all from steam, jut takes a while on my slow ass 10mb internet.

however january 13th im getting fibre optic 75mg so things will be a it different then :)

cheatermclaggin
12-25-2013, 07:17 PM
battlefield 4 is a origin game and require origin to play if you buy it and download it you dont need the desk to play and can put it on as many computer as you want but you have to sign in with the account that bought the game to play it and only one computer can be signed into your origin account at a time. With steam you can download the game and play it if the game is disc it will have a cd key and when you put the cd key in it links it to your steam account for as long as you have your steam account and even if you lose the disc you can redownload it. Must games are like this now and dont require a cd to play anymore.

RCraig
12-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I have both COD:Ghosts and BF4 installed on my G750JHA -- works great, even better than my main gaming box I built!

Simply use either the Steam Client or Origin (EA) Client. Login, install, play... that easy. Never worry about the CD; just log-in and it is sitting right there in your account.

Maxter
12-27-2013, 06:01 PM

thanks
Once Steam detects that this game is connected to your account, it'll just add it to your library. After this, you'll never need your CD or CD-key again. Data can be downloaded from Steam servers, and CD-key is tied to your Steam account. This is also true for Origin. Installing from CD can be done in the future still (quicker than downloading anyways).