PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Brightness Problems

Azzazel
09-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi All,

I've got a G74sx , i can't change the brightness of my screen.

I have popping balloons from the brightness control but no difference...

I also tried changing the brightness levels from the control panel.

This is really killing my eyes cause it's seems to be on max.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Azzazel

Chastity@ASUS
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I would uninstall your current drivers, and do an optional clean install of the current nvidia beta or whql set.

Azzazel
09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Could you just post the links on what i must download.

thanks

Chastity@ASUS
09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/285.27/285.27-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta.exe

Azzazel
09-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi Chastity,

Still no difference..

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Uninstall ATK Package 1.0.0008 on your system, reboot, then install ATK 1.0.00010

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010.zip

Keyboard Filter should already be 1.0.0003

Azzazel
09-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Still no luck , i need to manual change it from the nvidea control panel.

Hopefully another update would fix this..

JRd1st
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I had a problem just like this one on my desktop pc. The problem was that I had gone through the Windows 7 "Calibrate Color" procedure and set my gamma too dark. Every time I restarted my PC I would need to open nVidia Control Panel then deselect "Use nVidia Settings" and reselect it. And I never found the problem until I was about to get rid of that PC. lol What I needed to do was to simply go back to the defaults for that whole "Calibration"

Go to Control Panel >> Display >> then click on "Calibrate Color" (this is a misleading name because it affects a lot more than just color)

ALSO, if you have Power 4 Gear installed, there is a brightness setting for each power profile. You may want to look into that, too. ;)

grungeboy2
09-18-2011, 10:39 PM
sounds like a problem with your Power4Gear software. try uninstalling it and seeing if you can change your brightness then. if so, i'd recommend going back to a slightly older version.

Azzazel
09-19-2011, 05:38 AM
Hi JRd1st,
I will try that later and let you know of the outcome.
I am not sure if i have Power 4 Gear installed , but it sounds familiar.

Hi grungeboy,
I try that as well too.

To all.
This is a bit off topic to this post.
But I had a problem with streaming videos like from youtube.
I got that fixed by updating my flash.
However now i am having problem with the video quality.
When i increase the quality of the video to 720P or higher , i see strange blocks/pixels when certain objects are in motion. The quality is not crisp. Even with letters , they have rough edges.

Your help is appreciated as always.

Azzazel
09-19-2011, 07:36 PM
OK , here is what i have found out after experimenting the above.
Power4gear , doesnt change my brightness at all.
All changed can only be done the nvidea control panel.
Any way i could change this?

JRd1st
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
OK , here is what i have found out after experimenting the above.
Power4gear , doesnt change my brightness at all.
All changed can only be done the nvidea control panel.
Any way i could change this?
Are you looking at an external monitor or the LCD Panel? Power4Gear only changes brightness when using it on the LCD panel, I believe.

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 04:02 AM
i use mine hooked up to another monitor, the p4g stuff would only change the brightness on my lappy's panel.

i tried using a newer version of power4gear so i could have the widget. i found that the newer version always set my brightness at 2, no matter what i changed it to. that's why i suggested trying a older version or uninstalling it and seeing what happened.

i found that after uninstalling it my panel would go to max bright, then i would install a different version and it would resume controlling. i ended up going back to the version that came with mine, since it worked well.

Azzazel
09-20-2011, 05:23 AM
LCD Panel.
Any place i can find out whether if the configuration is for an external monitor or LCD Panel?

If i installed an old version of P4G , would it mess up my current settings?

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 08:37 AM
i played with it earlier, with the p4g stuff uninstalled i could still adjust my brightness with the hotkeys. i would look at the ATK driver set. go download the ones you need and uninstall the old ones, install the new ones. or has that been tried already?

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 08:39 AM
oh yeah duh, you can change the brightness in windows by going into advanced power settings.

down the list is a setting for display, click and it'll open up for several different adjustments. display brightness will be among them.

Azzazel
09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
grungeboy
i haven't tried uninstalling P4G because i have noticed dramatic changes on my performance when i switch from the 'ROG' button.
Would uninstalling the software and reinstalling it with an older version effect those 'on the fly' settings?

Tried also changing the brightness from the power settings and nothing..

Azzazel
09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
grungeboy
i tried everything you said...
installed an older version of P4G too...
i tried changing the brightness everywhere and they seem to work only from the nvidia panel..

I am really not happy about this..

Any other suggestions?

Azzazel
09-21-2011, 09:02 AM
OK i found another thing.

Sometimes when i open the nvidia control panel , i would get an error mentioning that 'an older software has been installed' but then runs fine.

Could there some sort of collision between the software?

JRd1st
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
grungeboy

i tried changing the brightness everywhere and they seem to work only from the nvidia panel..

I am really not happy about this..

Any other suggestions?

I'm sure you know this already, but just in case . . . You DID set nVidia Control Panel to "Other Applications Control Color Settings" before you tried changing brightness in other programs. right? :)

Also, did you try going through the Control Panel >> Display >> then click on "Calibrate Color" procedure? Once that is set, it seems to override any other brightness/contrast/gamma settings.

Azzazel
09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Yup tried both... It just keeps ignoring my settings.

Other than my nvidia and gaming config , i can't change any settings... :(

grungeboy2
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
i still think it's tied to the ATK settings.

all the power4gear versions featured a on the fly setting tied to the ROG button.

but i don't really think that's your problem.

now if you're trying to adjust the brightness on a external monitor with the hot keys it won't work. if you're trying to get them to work on the internal lcd panel, then read on.

what nvidia driver are you using? the asus one or the nvidia one? i'd recommend using the nvidia one.

Chastity@ASUS
09-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Try disabling hw acelleration in Flash

Azzazel
09-22-2011, 05:22 AM
@grungeboy
I'll try to connect it to my lcd and see if there is a difference.
Nvidia drivers are from Chastity's post.

@Chastity
Tried and failed.. :(

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 01:53 PM
i'm out of ideas. i really don't understand your problem either.

i'm guessing that the hotkeys aren't controlling your screen (the one on the laptop), they're not supposed to control a external monitor. good luck dude, if you can't figure it out, rma it or something.

Chastity@ASUS
09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm running out of ideas too... especially since this is the first I've heard of this quirk. I'd suggest at this point in doing a F9 Recovery and seeing if it still does this. Unlikely as it's probably a software issue. (And check it right after the recovery, and not when you add all your apps and stuff. :) )

Azzazel
09-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Chastity

Please explain what recovery does exactly?

grungeboy2
09-24-2011, 09:52 AM
recovery should restore it to it's state as it was when you purchased it. the default state.

backup your files incase it doesn't keep them.

Azzazel
09-25-2011, 08:12 AM
and the recovery would only be done on my primary hard-drive , and not affect the other partitions?

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
The recovery only restores what the laptop came with, and if I remember there was nothing on the other partitions except that hidden recovery partition, so it would follow that only the primary partition gets restored to. But logic goes out the window with ASUS, sometimes, so wait for Chastity or someone experienced with ASUS recovery to chime in.

Personally, I even made recovery DVD's but it's a waste to me. After I did a clean Win7 install and got everything as perfect as possible, I made a partition backup with Acronis TrueImage Home. I swear by that program; it's saved me more times than I can count. . . and NO, I don't work for Acronis!!! lol

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 01:14 AM
When you run the recovery system, you can tell it to only restore 1 drive or partition. Choose 1 partition, and point it at the OS partition on C:

grungeboy2
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
what i've learned to do over the past few years is to create a second recovery partition of my own making on a secondary drive. on my G51, i installed a 160GB drive to the second, empty, bay. i partitioned it with a 8GB part, and then the rest of it.

on the 8GB part, i copied my Windows7 HP DVD, then added a folder called Utilities&Drivers. i then copied the Asus Driver disc to that folder, along with a fresh copy of the latest Nvidia driver i'm using. there are walkthroughs and tools that can help make that bootable. that way should anything happen, all of the software needed is on the second hard drive in it's own partition. sort of like how the recovery partition was when i bought it.

installing windows7 like this also makes the install faster.