PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Unresponsive Keys

goddammitleary
12-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Hello,

The keyboard on my G75VW will not respond when I press any of the following keys: T, Y, O, and Windows key. These keys work fine when I received the laptop, but now appear to be dead. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for it and still nada. I am now using an external keyboard without a problem, but I'd rather not carry around a keyboard when the one on the laptop should work.

Any help or advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Pitcher@asus
12-26-2013, 05:40 AM
you mean all keyboard key are not respond? when you received laptop, it is ok, but one day it is unable to use right, can you tell us, what are you making in last time with kb work? install some utility, play game..etc, if you mean suddenly it is ubable to use, please send to RMA to check.

goddammitleary
12-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Not all of them, just the keys I specified in the original post. They just stopped working one by one. Not after any particular app or game was installed. I have a feeling it's hardware, just really hoping it isn't so I don't have to send it in and wait for a fix.

cl-Albert
12-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, if the external keyboard works fine, it's likely a hardware problem with your built-in notebook keyboard.

If you are still under warranty, it's probably safer to wait until there is a good time for you to send it in.
Check this ASUS contact page if necessary to find your closest service center and get more information about the arrangements: http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Otherwise, if you or someone you know can replace the keyboard safely on your end and you don't mind purchasing it (it may not be possible, but you might also ask your local ASUS support if a keyboard can be shipped to you under warranty if you plan to go this route), this is another idea, but it's not the easiest thing to do for everyone and you could get into trouble with the warranty if anything goes wrong.
You might also consider trying to reseat the keyboard cable if it can be done properly, but it may not help and things can get worse if something goes wrong, so please be aware of this.

Anyway, hope you are able to find a way to get that taken care of quickly and easily.

As a side note you probably don't want to do a lot of typing this way, but if you didn't already know and ever find yourself without your external keyboard in Win7, you can go to Control Panel/Ease of Access/Ease of Access Center to start the onscreen keyboard (similar to what you see with tablets/touchscreen systems) and 'type with the mouse' on the virtual onscreen keyboard those keys that aren't working.

Clintlgm
12-27-2013, 09:12 PM
you can replace the keys that are not working these people send you all three parts and have a video on line as to how you do it. This just might save you the Drama of an RMA. I personally had a problems with my "J" key , no issues after replacing the parts http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-23902/Asus-G75-Laptop-Key/Detail

goddammitleary
12-29-2013, 05:11 AM
I might try the key replacement, if that doesn't work, I'll probably call ASUS and see if my warranty is still good. I would call them now, but I'll be on the move for the next few months, so I'd like to keep the laptop close. Thank you both for the help, I appreciate it!

Clintlgm
12-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Well do these keys feel different when you press them from the others?, Its possible you have trash under them. The parts of the keys that we can work with are the Hinge the hinge connects to the keyboard it slides in under 4 metal tabs, then the bladder a round piece of rubber material that rebounds the keys back up after press them it just sets there inside the hinge and under the key cap. the cap being the plastic cap that we see and use to type on. This cap locks on to the hinge with 4 clips the top ones press straight down or removing straight up. the bottom side is a forward slide out or toward the screen or to remove slide back towards the track pad. The only fatal error would be to break off one of he metal clips that hold the hinges to the KB frame.

In my particular case what I have wrong was that the metal tabs that held the top of the hinge had been bent up allowing the hinge to disconnect at the top of the key. When I installed the new hinge rebound cell and key cap I adjusted these metal clips to hold the hinge correctly. Its been a couple of months since I made this repair and no further issues. this save me from a 3rd RMA. In reality I really only needed to adjust the metal clips. There was no information about this here and I just happen to find the key replacement web site. When I got the new key they gave a link to how to install it. The install instructions (http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/?gclid=CKj48cnj1bsCFcsRMwod_nAAGQ) are at the bottom of the home page this one has a video. I think the other link I gave you was direct to the Asus keys themselves.