PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard lag caused by touchpad drivers

Inty4
12-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Like the title says, I'm experiencing keyboard lag, when I type, random letters are skipped and it's quite annoying. I intsalled ATKCPI drivers V1.0.0030, and it wasn't any better. When I uninstall the touchpad drivers, the problems stop. But I really like the gestures and the ability to disable the trackpad via the FN buttons. I read that other G-series laptops had similar problems, does anyone have a fix for this, or is experiencing the same problems?

Pitcher@asus
12-27-2013, 03:33 AM
what is your model? G750JW, JH,JW,JX and what is your OS? win 8 or 8.1? if can, please try restore OS.

Inty4
12-28-2013, 08:10 PM
It's G750JX and I had the problem on 8 and now on 8.1 both.

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Did you update to the below latest driver for Touchpad?

Elantec Touchpad Driver 11.5.12.1 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win81_64_VER115121.zip)

hmscott
12-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Like the title says, I'm experiencing keyboard lag, when I type, random letters are skipped and it's quite annoying. I intsalled ATKCPI drivers V1.0.0030, and it wasn't any better. When I uninstall the touchpad drivers, the problems stop. But I really like the gestures and the ability to disable the trackpad via the FN buttons. I read that other G-series laptops had similar problems, does anyone have a fix for this, or is experiencing the same problems?

Which version of the Realtek driver do you have installed? The only time I got keyboard lag was from a bad version of the Realtek drivers.

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Which version of the Realtek driver do you have installed? The only time I got keyboard lag was from a bad version of the Realtek drivers.

What Realtek Drivers? Audio? What would they have to do with mouse lag or keyboard?

hmscott
12-29-2013, 01:54 AM
What Realtek Drivers? Audio? What would they have to do with mouse lag or keyboard?

Good question :)

It was weird, I intsalled it and immediately had lag on typing, at first I thought it was something running in the background - I do lots of stuff at the same time - but after clearing that all out I was still getting lag. So I uninstalled the driver going back to the .7040, and the lag went away.

I have since updated to 6.0.1.7083 without a problem.

Here is the thread where the installer I tried made my text input laggy:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40648-HD-Audio-service-running-at-20-all-the-time&p=343330&viewfull=1#post343330

Inty4
12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
The realtek drivers are version 6.0.1.6954, so I guess that's pretty old. I will try updating the elantec drivers and the Realtek ones, and will report back, thanks for the ideas. Never would have thought the audio driver could have anything to do with it.

Inty4
12-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, it seems I am still getting skipped letters. But it does seem to occur less. I don't know, it's hard to tell, it's not an exact science, since on occasion I actually do make a typo myself. I'll report back in a few days or hours, when I get a better feeling for it, since right now I can't exactly tell. Thanks for the help so far.

hmscott
12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, it seems I am still getting skipped letters. But it does seem to occur less. I don't know, it's hard to tell, it's not an exact science, since on occasion I actually do make a typo myself. I'll report back in a few days or hours, when I get a better feeling for it, since right now I can't exactly tell. Thanks for the help so far.

Inty4, dropped / skipped characters are different than lag. Since you had such an old Realtek driver, you probably want to update all your drivers, there is evn an ATK v1.0..0031.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JW&hashedid=w5ZFxIpLeKBoVabd

The other thing is it might be the physical keyboard, the way you are pressing the keys. I have come across keyboards that aren't compatible with the way I type, but work fine for others. And, some days are better than others for me. Something to consider.

Most of the time I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad, the Logitech k400r - Logitech has a newer larger one too TK820. This keeps my hands off the laptop, which keeps the laptop clean and lets me control the keyboard I use most of the time - I went through 4 or 5 before settling on this one. That way you aren't stuck with the builtin keyboard if it isn't compatible with you.

noizex
12-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Guys! Thats exactly what is making me almost cry out of frustration. I'm a fast typer and my G750JX laptop (which is 2 months old) had this problem from the beginning - I wouldn't call it LAG but it definately SKIPS some keypresses.

OS is WIndows 8.1, but I had the same problem on original 8.0 pre-installed on that laptop. What is weird though - it doesn't always happen. I mean, my manner of typing is the same all the time and now I'm writing this post, typing very fast, and it doesn't skip. Then, at some point I start talking to someone on GTalk and it skips so much that I have to correct every word I type. This is crazy. I can't see any pattern here - sometimes typing is hell, sometimes it works ok. So I don't think its mechanical problem with keyboard because it would happen more consistently. Its also not a manner of how I hit the keys because its the same all the time and sometimes it doesnt skip at all, and sometimes it skips 1 out of 5 keypresses.

What can cause this? I'm desperate, because it destroys about 80% of my daily laptop usage, I'm programmer, I need to quickly check things and be able to type without typos yet it happens in every application - again - inconsistently.

Any feedback is welcome, I beg you, help me fix this. :)

hmscott
12-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Guys! Thats exactly what is making me almost cry out of frustration. I'm a fast typer and my G750JX laptop (which is 2 months old) had this problem from the beginning - I wouldn't call it LAG but it definately SKIPS some keypresses.

OS is WIndows 8.1, but I had the same problem on original 8.0 pre-installed on that laptop. What is weird though - it doesn't always happen. I mean, my manner of typing is the same all the time and now I'm writing this post, typing very fast, and it doesn't skip. Then, at some point I start talking to someone on GTalk and it skips so much that I have to correct every word I type. This is crazy. I can't see any pattern here - sometimes typing is hell, sometimes it works ok. So I don't think its mechanical problem with keyboard because it would happen more consistently. Its also not a manner of how I hit the keys because its the same all the time and sometimes it doesnt skip at all, and sometimes it skips 1 out of 5 keypresses.

What can cause this? I'm desperate, because it destroys about 80% of my daily laptop usage, I'm programmer, I need to quickly check things and be able to type without typos yet it happens in every application - again - inconsistently.

Any feedback is welcome, I beg you, help me fix this. :)

The first obvious choice is to update *all* drivers, to see if something else is getting in the way.

The second to check out, is to monitor your laptop while you are typing to find a background process/application that is interfering with the IO such that it is causing the laptop to focus on a task other than your typing. Task manager, sorted by CPU, slow down the refresh so you have time to read the name/pid.

You might "fix" such a problem by setting the priority of your program high, and when you find the other process you can set it low in priority - right click on the processes in the Detail view of Task Manager to get the option to change the priority. I have also use the Affinity to isolate my task to it's own core pair and keep everything else off that pair. You can at least do half of this "fix" now, as you know what program needs to be high Priority.

The best / quickest way is to use an external keyboard and pointing device. I use a small portable keyboard that plugs its dongle in to the USB port and lets me be wireless. I went through 4 or 5 options before setting on this Logitech K400r, but they now have a larger TK820 - which I am waiting to look at when it arrives in the shops locally.

I have also plugged in my Razor keyboard/mouse when I have it on a desk.

I have a Mac Bluetooth keyboard for my work Macbook Pro, I could try binding that - I recall long ago when I had a G750JW someone on the boards couldn't get it to pair, so glad I remembered :)

Update: the Mac mini/short BT keyboard paired immediately, no problems, but it is weird needing to set that keyboard down to navigate as it doesn't have a built in pointing device like the Logitech K400r...

It could be another thing... the angle of attack you use, the flair and movement you use changes during the day, and at different times, and when you are in different positions. I have a desktop keyboard at work that I have to place my fingers just right or I miss keystrokes. I don't think the G750 keyboard is bad, quite the opposite, but it is possible that sometimes you are hitting keys in the sweet spot to get a hit registered, and sometimes you aren't.

Let us know how it works out :)

noizex
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

What drivers do you mean, exactly? I tried checking ASUS support page for drivers download for G750JX and there are no drivers to download really.. Also I often see ATK drivers mentioned, do I have them on my JX? Because they are not downloadable for this model, but I saw them for other models.

Setting priorities could work, is it necessary though? I had many laptops and I've never ran into such problems with keyboard input. I checked CPU usage and its below 10% at max, sometimes Service Host: Local System takes some CPU but its nothing significant, yet skipp

For the record I'm having this problem right now, replying to your post. Even space skips, and I doubt it can be angle of attack here? Right now I have to correct almost every word because it misses a letter :( Something has to be wrong if there are more people reporting this problem for this exact laptop model?

Let me know what drivers I should update - I thought ASUS update program keeps them up-to-date anyway. Maybe it will help.

Using external keyboard is an option too (at least if it wont skip there too) but I'd keep it as last resort because I don' have much room for additional keyboard on my desk. Also, I see no reason why laptop's own keyboard should have some weird behaviour - I'd still have skipping whenevr I use it somewere else.

hmscott
01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

What drivers do you mean, exactly? I tried checking ASUS support page for drivers download for G750JX and there are no drivers to download really.. Also I often see ATK drivers mentioned, do I have them on my JX? Because they are not downloadable for this model, but I saw them for other models.

Setting priorities could work, is it necessary though? I had many laptops and I've never ran into such problems with keyboard input. I checked CPU usage and its below 10% at max, sometimes Service Host: Local System takes some CPU but its nothing significant, yet skipp

For the record I'm having this problem right now, replying to your post. Even space skips, and I doubt it can be angle of attack here? Right now I have to correct almost every word because it misses a letter :( Something has to be wrong if there are more people reporting this problem for this exact laptop model?

Let me know what drivers I should update - I thought ASUS update program keeps them up-to-date anyway. Maybe it will help.

Using external keyboard is an option too (at least if it wont skip there too) but I'd keep it as last resort because I don' have much room for additional keyboard on my desk. Also, I see no reason why laptop's own keyboard should have some weird behaviour - I'd still have skipping whenevr I use it somewere else.

The Asus update program has it's uses, and it would update all the things I needed updating, but it lags the posting for new drivers on the download site, so I usually do it manually by looking at the G750 download sites, JW - JX - JH

Asus sometimes (most of the time?) only updates 1 model in a line with updates, at least first, and then follows up later - so far later hasn't arrived, so you want to go to the g750W site to get the latest drivers :)

All the suggestions I made were workarounds, or long term solutions depending on how much you want a single keyboard layout to get used to.

I keep 1 wireless keyboard that I can connect to all my machines, so that I am "at home" on all of them. Otherwise I have to have multiple keyboards to get used to. That is the reason I do this - mostly - I also want a keyboard I can put in my backpack and take with me.

So, go to the JW site, and download all the new drivers, and after a dozen reboots you will know if you need to use a work-around, or your keyboard is fixed :)

As a matter of fact, one of the hardest keys to make stable/work from all angles is the Space Bar. It is very long and supporting it such that it will register a key stroke from any location on the bar isn't easy. It is the most annoying key on that keyboard I mentioned above - I have to hit it just right in the middle from straight above or it doesn't register.

Let us know if the driver updates fixed the problem.

Trying the other workarounds like priority and affinity are good to know for future unrelated issues - and always fun to try. I find it helpful for long running process I am tired of waiting to complete :)

Also not that the BT update turns on all the sharing options for BT, which is bad enough, but it also hangs reboot/shutdowns for 2-3 minutes - so disable all of them you don't want, disable all of them, and that fixed the reboot/shutdown hangs for me:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41783-G750-Win-8.1-hanging-on-Shutdown-FIX&p=354005&viewfull=1#post354005

The other steps in that thread for debugging are good to know for other windows issues.

fjollon
01-07-2014, 11:57 PM
I have the same problem and thought I was the only one.

It clearly goes away when the driver for the touchpad is uninstalled and comes back when I re-install it. I need to have the driver installed or I will mess everything up by touching the touchpad unintentionally.

I hope they can fix this. As a gaming machine the computer is awesome. As an office machine is awful - basically useless.

Vinith Pillai
01-08-2014, 06:02 AM
I have updated all the drivers, but still I am facing the issue of letters getting missed in fast typing. ASUS, please check the touchpad drivers as people in here have reported that the issue goes away when it is uninstalled.

fjollon
01-10-2014, 05:21 AM
I have finally "fixed" the problem. The real fix will be to get an Elantech driver that doesn't interfere with the keyboard, but for now - unless you really need the touchpad - just disable it in the BIOS. Press F2 during boot and go to "Advanced" and set "Internal pointing device" to disable.

This turned the worst keyboard I've ever had to the best. It is sooo different now. :)

Edit: If you do this there is no need to uninstall the Elantech driver.

therenix
01-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I have finally "fixed" the problem. The real fix will be to get an Elantech driver that doesn't interfere with the keyboard, but for now - unless you really need the touchpad - just disable it in the BIOS. Press F2 during boot and go to "Advanced" and set "Internal pointing device" to disable.

This turned the worst keyboard I've ever had to the best. It is sooo different now. :)

Edit: If you do this there is no need to uninstall the Elantech driver.

CONFIRMED -- this works great and thanks for the solution!!! It would be nice to get an official update from ASUS resolving the problem properly, but until then (optimistically), this is a great workaround!!!

Phoeny
01-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Works for me ... thx

Inty4
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that works, but I still need the touchpad from time to time, and it's annoying not to be able to use it without restarting the PC. I had the exact same problem (and solution) on my old G71v, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an official fix from ASUS. I hope someone finds some other solution.

Nehmia
01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
you guys are all n00bs sorry

did any of you install the Keyboard Device Filter Driver for Windows 8.1? I bet not. The problem doesn't happen when it's installed

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/KBFilter/KBFilter_Win81_64_VER1005.zip

PS: That is only for Windows 8.1, for Windows 7 and Windows 8 there is a diff. driver for each so make sure you have the correct version

Phoeny
01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Oh rly? i have it installed and it didnt work ....

Still missing keystrokes ... disabling touchpad fixed it ...

Nehmia
01-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Oh rly? i have it installed and it didnt work ....

Still missing keystrokes ... disabling touchpad fixed it ...

sure it works, but that's not how it should be

Im using this touchpad driver:

Elantech Touchpad driver 11.5.12.1 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win81_64_VER115121.zip) along with the keyboard device filter driver and ATK package 31

Phoeny
01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
I have intalled th driver right now ... +Keyboard Device Filter Utility +ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

And loo what bull**** i am tying....

Nehmia
01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
I have intalled th driver right now ... +Keyboard Device Filter Utility +ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

And loo what bull**** i am tying....

very strange, this laptop has been the worst out of all the ROG laptops I've owned. it's all down to ASUS' crappy driver support

Phoeny
01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Deactivated the Touchpad again in Bios .... All keys are workin ... :-)

i do not need the touchpad ... i have a mouse

slobo26
06-30-2017, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem with keyboard lag - my solution was:

1. go to asus web site
2. found my laptop model
3. drivers
4. drivers for win8 / touchpad
5. downloaded Touchpad_Synaptics_Win8_64_VER162117.zip
6. unpack / install

That's it. Work like a charm.

Btw, I'm on Win 10.