PDA

View Full Version : Unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 :(

kaltoreth
12-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Greetings, earthlings!

Soo... I bought my new g750 a few weeks ago, since my loyal g74 was starting to.. Well.. *sniff* ..
I can still see its speakers, looking at me with that .. that .. look ..It's to hard to talk about yet..

Anyhuuuu ...

Trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 via the store, and after trying it a few times, I give up.

I get: Sorry, We coulden't compete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.
(Whoopedidoo ..)

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

So - I've googled a bit (Ah i remeber the good ol' late 80's, early 90's where you rang your favorite nerd and he'd just talk for 20 minutes about how to fix it ..) - And found that it could be my MEI drivers. So lo and behold, more googling. What the hell is MEI drivers ? Well - Intel Managment Interface google kindly told me. So i checked my MEI version, and its 9.0.0.1287. Which many state is the one to run.
Not working :(

So - Any if you by anychance happen to be a 904 year old timelord, with the knowledge and IQ far surpassing that of my measly human brain ? No .. ? No one ? Time wimey ?

Bonkers.

chrsplmr
12-27-2013, 06:13 PM
kaltoreth .. go to the upper right corner of desktop with cursor.
[you may be missing updates] click on the search icon when it appears
and type 'update' ..
when that is complete, then try to go to 'the store' and do the 8.1 update.

.c.

kaltoreth
12-27-2013, 06:19 PM
kaltoreth .. go to the upper right corner of desktop with cursor.
[you may be missing updates] click on the search icon when it appears
and type 'update' ..
when that is complete, then try to go to 'the store' and do the 8.1 update.

.c.

If you are refering to the Asus driver updates - The only driver there is "BIOS t12"

If I try to install that, i get the "Bios flash" tool, that says:

"Warning: THe bios is older than the current version"
Bios rev 208 is what I have

Nehmia
12-27-2013, 07:06 PM
208 is the latest. Uninstall the ASUS Live Uppdate crap it never finds anything worthwhile or may brick your system

even ASUS moderators here recommend uninstalling it

Prostar Computer
12-27-2013, 07:21 PM
If you are refering to the Asus driver updates - The only driver there is "BIOS t12"

I think chrsplmr is referring to Windows updates. Make sure you have all of your Windows 8 updates downloaded and installed, if you haven't already. :)

cheatermclaggin
12-27-2013, 07:58 PM
windows 8 has to be fully updated or it will not let you upgrade to 8.1 must of the time its not even in the store unless your windows is up to date.

kaltoreth
12-27-2013, 08:56 PM
They are. my friend :)

kaltoreth
12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Im considering just using backtrack and factory resetting my computer. Rip out the 2nd HDD, and do nothing BUT hit windows update till i hit the win 8.1 update

But it feels like such a waste, now that I've gotten it all setup as I like it :)

chrsplmr
12-27-2013, 09:39 PM
If you like win8, you will lov 8.1. imho. .c.

Berid
12-28-2013, 02:39 AM
http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com/articles/win8/7-common-windows-8-1-update-errors-and-how-to-fix-them.html
I think you may need to read the 7 common errors when need upgrade to Windows 8.1.

hmscott
12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Im considering just using backtrack and factory resetting my computer. Rip out the 2nd HDD, and do nothing BUT hit windows update till i hit the win 8.1 update

But it feels like such a waste, now that I've gotten it all setup as I like it :)

You shouldn't need to do a clean install :)

There are a few hiccups that are covered by Microsoft to reset things so you can update to Windows 8.1

BTW, did you set Windows Update to update other things besides Windows OS? That can help too. Enable it and then search for updates again.

Here are some things to try, and places to research the problem:

Upgrade Assistant: FAQ

Upgrade Assistant is a free download that scans your PC, desktop apps, and connected devices to see if they'll work with a later version of Windows, and then provides a free compatibility report. Depending on the version of Windows you're running, you can also use Upgrade Assistant to buy, download, and install Windows online.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Ignore the references to Windows RT in anything, Microsoft mixes all OS updates into their help.

This should help, if all else fails (or you can try it first):

Windows Store might not be showing the latest content
To refresh the content in the Store

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Enter run in the search box, and then tap or click Run.

Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click OK.

Restart your PC.

On the Start screen, tap or click Store, and check to see if Windows 8.1 now appears on the Store home screen.

kaltoreth
12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Managed to get my g750 upgraded to W8.1

I tried everything you guys threw at me, disabling WLAN in UEFI/Biost - Upgrading every driver I had - Ripping out 2nd HDD etc ... Nothing workd :( Sorry ... But thanks for trying :)

I backed up files from C: to my 2nd HDD (1tb rotating drive) and just used my backtrack made USB stick, and just reinstalled the whole thing to factory.

Just installed Silverlight so I could watch netflix, and updated ALL windows updates, and ten upgraded to win8.1
Worked like charm..

Dunno why it diditn work before... BUt its sad I had to flippin reinstall to be able to upgrade.

Disk is now ghosted so I dont have to do this crap ever a
gain :)

hmscott
12-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Managed to get my g750 upgraded to W8.1

I tried everything you guys threw at me, disabling WLAN in UEFI/Biost - Upgrading every driver I had - Ripping out 2nd HDD etc ... Nothing workd :( Sorry ... But thanks for trying :)

I backed up files from C: to my 2nd HDD (1tb rotating drive) and just used my backtrack made USB stick, and just reinstalled the whole thing to factory.

Just installed Silverlight so I could watch netflix, and updated ALL windows updates, and ten upgraded to win8.1
Worked like charm..

Dunno why it diditn work before... BUt its sad I had to flippin reinstall to be able to upgrade.

Disk is now ghosted so I dont have to do this crap ever a
gain :)

Congrats, glad you got past that rut in the road, it's nice to be past something like that...

Now you can enjoy your laptop :)

chrsplmr
12-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Congrats, glad you got past that rut in the road, it's nice to be past something like that...

Now you can enjoy your laptop :)

hm' -Says it all. Well played goodSirs. .c.