PDA

View Full Version : G74 slowing down and freezing

Physalist
12-27-2013, 07:11 PM
So I have a GS74 and lately its been running way slower and from time to time just freezing when all im doing is running firefox. Anyone have any tips to get it back up to speed and make it run faster?

indianacarnie
12-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Boy , have you asked the right question!

I'm going to assume that you have already ran your Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs, correct? If you haven't do so now before doing anything else. A run with Malwarebytes coupled with your A/V of choice should do the trick. Then a run of Ccleaner and you're ready to start speeding things up.

I don't know how long its been since you reinstalled Windows, but a fresh clean install is always the crispest imho. But first here is a tutorial with a list of things you can do to speed up an old install. Just click on the link :

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11728-optimize-windows-7-a.html

You could also run a sfc/scannow to check for and possibly fix any corrupted system files : Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and run as Administrater > Type sfc/scannow and hit enter. This can work wonders for an older install and is highly recommended.

STAY AWAY from those all - in - one "cleaners" and/or "optimizers" as they WILL cause you trouble somewhere down the line!

chrsplmr
12-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Save your files that you love on a flash drive.
make sure you have current drivers on a flash drive.
Dump and Reinstall that OS.

You could run all the anti this and that you want, go through msconfig or even go through the folders of app data .. it needs a dump and a fresh install. imho. .c.

Physalist
12-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Well since theres 3 hard drives on this laptop is it safe to just store everything in one of them or do they all get wiped clean?

Physalist
12-28-2013, 07:55 PM
I forgot to mention one more thing in my initial post. The computer seems to run slower on batter power too. In order to keep it from lagging in games like Diablo 3 I have to keep it plugged in.

indianacarnie
12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Well since theres 3 hard drives on this laptop is it safe to just store everything in one of them or do they all get wiped clean?

Good choice! Yes you can move all your data to a drive other than "C" and save it. MAKE SURE you disconnect/take out the other INTERNAL drives if you're going for a new/clean install. It will save you time and negates the potential for something to go wrong i.e. Windows installing parts of your MBR to another drive. Yes , that can happen. Its happened to ME before. But there is no need to wipe them all. I STILL suggest a deep scan with your Anti-Virus on those drives though. Rather be safe than sorry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

Physalist
12-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Did these laptops ever come with a windows cd to install with? I know I used the AI recovery program but Im not sure if thats what I need.

indianacarnie
12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Go to the tutorial I linked to. READ the tutorial. It has a link to get an OFFICIAL, Microsoft approved .iso of whatever version of Windows you have. All you'll need is the COA from the sticker on your machine for the activation.

No I haven't bought a lappy ever that came with the disc's needed for reinstall. Dell USED to ship desktops with them but I don't know about now even for them. Do as I did (and many many others), go to the link I gave you, download an .iso image, burn it , save it. I save both the .iso AND two different physical discs, but I admit to being a little paranoid about these things.

Anyway, make a back up of the drivers you'll need before doing anything. Windows will have most of them when you install, but some will be outdated and others, mostly Asus stuff for the backlit keyboard,webcam and the wimax driivers will not be included. Save you some time searching the net for what you'll need. The usb3 drivers come to mind also. I downloaded the whole ATK package and saved it too.

TeKn1kaL_Jargon
12-30-2013, 05:41 PM
If I may hijack for an answer to my G53J which is having the same problems as the OP -- with the addition of memory issues despite memory checks and I can hear it working hard even if I am not streaming but just doing basic tasks. I have done updated A/V & Mbytes with nothing found. So I can live with a clean install, though my question is: What is the best way to find ALL the right drivers to do a clean install? And would I need to update BIOS? Which I have heard horror stories... I have looked here but this thread is over 2 years old now. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s/)

Thanks

indianacarnie
12-30-2013, 07:58 PM
If I may hijack for an answer to my G53J which is having the same problems as the OP -- with the addition of memory issues despite memory checks and I can hear it working hard even if I am not streaming but just doing basic tasks. I have done updated A/V & Mbytes with nothing found. So I can live with a clean install, though my question is: What is the best way to find ALL the right drivers to do a clean install? And would I need to update BIOS? Which I have heard horror stories... I have looked here but this thread is over 2 years old now. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s/)

Thanks

No you won't have to update your Bio's to do a clean install. Finding the right drivers is not as hard as it may sound. For example, I just reinstalled my O.S. about a month, 6 weeks ago if I remember correctly I only had to search out and find my wimax ones. There may have been one or two others. Windows will install almost all that are needed. Go to the Asus support site, look for your make and model, most if not all of the drivers you will need are there. Look especially for wifi drivers/network adapters as those are needed for net connections. At the Asus site make sure you grab the ATK package for your particular machine as it has all the propriety drivers you'll need (backlit keyboard, etc.) you may not need or want all of them but you can install it and then delete/turn off what you will. Follow the link I provided to the original poster for the link to the official Windows approved .iso and tutorials on how to do this if needed. I'll check back in regularly so if you need anything , just ask!

TeKn1kaL_Jargon
12-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks indianacarnie, so it sounds like I can avoid the drivers thread and just get started DL'ding from ASUS am I correct?

Speaking of network adapters, that is where it gets cloudy for me. The G53J requires Atheros drivers but all I can find are the 'unofficial Atheros' site. The drivers on the ASUS website are Azureware, WiMax, & Intel. So I am unsure which to download. I'd rather have Atheros but if it doesn't matter...

Thanks

indianacarnie
12-31-2013, 01:49 AM
Is this what you need? http://www.official-drivers.com/downloadcenter/atheros-drivers/

Yes , that should be it. Install the ATK and anything else you need/want from Asus. If you have any problems, you shouldn't but..... you never know, just ask here or at Sevenforums , I'm usually there (same username). I urge you to read over that tutorial I linked to earlier in this thread if you haven't installed before.