PDA

View Full Version : Updated to 8.1, installed new drivers, webcam doesn't work?

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 02:57 AM
So I updated to 8.1 and have been going through and updating all the drivers and I have found that I can't get the webcam to work.. honestlyI hadn't tried to use it before on win 8 but now on win 8.1 it doesn't function... anyone have any help for this?

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 05:52 AM
clean install my friend. upgrading has so many bugs

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 05:59 AM
clean install my friend. upgrading has so many bugs

you have a jx but does your webcam work? and what driver version do you have installed on it for the virtual cam?

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 06:10 AM
you have a jx but does your webcam work? and what driver version do you have installed on it for the virtual cam?
yes it works fine and always have

ASUS Virtual Camera 1.0.28 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/Virtual_Camera/Virtual_Camera_Win7_8_VER1028.zip)

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Maybe I will redo a clean install tomorrow... How much was the upgrade to pro vs the standard edition 8.1?

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Maybe I will redo a clean install tomorrow... How much was the upgrade to pro vs the standard edition 8.1?'

this was back when Microsoft offered an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 for $15 USD so I used that offer on my previous G75VW. then I use that same key on my new G750JX since the old G75VW was taken back by ASUS and I never used that key before as Windows 8 ws very buggy initially

hmscott
12-28-2013, 09:32 AM
So I updated to 8.1 and have been going through and updating all the drivers and I have found that I can't get the webcam to work.. honestly I hadn't tried to use it before on win 8 but now on win 8.1 it doesn't function... anyone have any help for this?

It is likely that you need an update. Have you set Windows to update other things besides Windows OS? Do that and I think I recall the webcam software get updated after the Windows 8.1.

Or you can download it from the Asus support site, but that site is acting badly right now, overloaded - just keep trying.

You don't need to reload from scratch with a "clean" Windows install, the Asus install works fine, and updates fine, with nothing broken except for those things needing updates.

Here is the Asus G750JW download area, select Windows 8.1 x64 and when it works it will display all the categories of drivers/updates.
If you see "Server Error in '/' Application." just be patient and keep trying, or come back a little later.
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JW&hashedid=w5ZFxIpLeKBoVabd

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 01:46 PM
hm, I just manually ran the check for updates and there wasn't anything there except for a broadcom bluetooth adapter file... not sure if you noticed but there isn't any webcam drivers on the support page if you select the 8.1 os.... they are there if you select win 8 tho.... i removed the virtual camera last night in my sleep deprived stupor and i am reloading it from the 8.0 site to see if letting it sleep on the matter would help.. then I'll recheck for updates...

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
just went back through device manager and I havent been able to find the webcam in there at all.. I had the manager show hidden devices and there is a webcam in there but it says it isn't connected?? wtf

sasuke256
12-28-2013, 02:21 PM
you havent any FN+X keyboard command to activate or deactivate it ? or activate state in the BIOS :)

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
sorry but that doesn't translate for me, not sure what you saying about bios... fn key + x does nothing but give me a ding noise, the fn+v key is supposed to activate the camera but is says one needs to be connected...

hmscott
12-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Here is what I see under 8.1:

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 03:16 PM
yea mine is in the hidden devices and it says not installed... open your usb controllers and take a snap shot of that... with 8.1 and the updated intel drivers from asus i only have 3 items there and they all have a yellow warning triangle..... wondering if maybe that has something to do with the connection

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 03:20 PM
here's my screen shot...31665

hmscott
12-28-2013, 03:23 PM
yea mine is in the hidden devices and it says not installed... open your usb controllers and take a snap shot of that... with 8.1 and the updated intel drivers from asus i only have 3 items there and they all have a yellow warning triangle..... wondering if maybe that has something to do with the connection

You need to fix those :)

You could try uninstalling them and rescan devices to reinstall.

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
You need to fix those :)

You could try uninstalling them and rescan devices to reinstall.

yea so i am in device manager, i disabled all 3 and then unistalled from there... u're saying to go to action and click scan for hardware changes and see if that works?

yea still f**ked...

hmscott
12-28-2013, 03:47 PM
yea so i am in device manager, i disabled all 3 and then unistalled from there... u're saying to go to action and click scan for hardware changes and see if that works?
yea still f**ked...

Not that it made a difference, but you didn't need to disable them before uninstalling them.

So it found them again and you have the tellow warning triangles?

It just means that it can't find drivers for those devices in C:\Windows\. Go into each of them, likely fixing the first will fix the others, and update the drivers over the internet - try that first. If that doesn't work, update from the local disk, and point it at the c:\eSupport folder and check the "check subfolders" box - if it doesn't find the drivers there, come back here and let us know. If it fixes it, let us know too :)

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Not that it made a difference, but you didn't need to disable them before uninstalling them.

So it found them again and you have the tellow warning triangles?

It just means that it can't find drivers for those devices in C:\Windows\. Go into each of them, likely fixing the first will fix the others, and update the drivers over the internet - try that first. If that doesn't work, update from the local disk, and point it at the c:\eSupport folder and check the "check subfolders" box - if it doesn't find the drivers there, come back here and let us know. If it fixes it, let us know too :)

over the net it says driver that is installed is up to date.. trying in esupport folder it says that it encountered an error when trying to install driver

FML with this crap

hmscott
12-28-2013, 04:00 PM
over the net it says driver that is installed is up to date.. trying in esupport folder it says that it encountered an error when trying to install driver
FML with this crap

Please take a screen shot of your ucb devices showing the yellow triangle so I can see what you are missing, same area I last posted from Device Manager.

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Please take a screen shot of your ucb devices showing the yellow triangle so I can see what you are missing, same area I last posted from Device Manager.

yup... just shouldn't be this damn difficult to update an OS... why couldn't they just optimize this schweet laptop for 7.... i built my pc last year and put 7 64 ultimate on there... no problems everything just works... anywho i'm just KCCO'ing while we try to get this fixed. here's two screen shots.

hmscott
12-28-2013, 04:19 PM
yup... just shouldn't be this damn difficult to update an OS... why couldn't they just optimize this schweet laptop for 7.... i built my pc last year and put 7 64 ultimate on there... no problems everything just works... anywho i'm just KCCO'ing while we try to get this fixed. here's two screen shots.

I feel ya, every system update/upgrade can make things go wonky, depends on the state of your config...

It looks like you are missing lots of stuff in that area, compare against mine, it might be that your install of the Intel Chipset drivers didn't go well, here are the latest ones, and when you install, look carefully at the text scrolling by in the installer window to see if there are installation errors.

It may have done an uninstall, and asked you to reboot, but didn't complete the reinstall at the next boot.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

After you download/install, run this tool and see what it says:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

hmscott
12-28-2013, 04:37 PM
ZERO013, need to head out, but I think you can take it from here, have fun :)

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 04:44 PM
i got this when i ran that utility...

omg this is sh*t..... this totally requires being at home and drinking for this...

hmscott
12-28-2013, 05:03 PM
i got this when i ran that utility...
omg this is sh*t..... this totally requires being at home and drinking for this...

Did you download and install first before running the update utility?

It should look like this after installing the 9.4.0.1026 update:

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Did you download and install first before running the update utility?

It should look like this after installing the 9.4.0.1026 update:

indeed i did...just doesnt seem to be taking it, unless you have another suggestion it might be time to just call it and start back from scratch and follow the clean install guide on the other website...:mad:

Nehmia
12-28-2013, 07:05 PM
bro, only download drivers from ASUS not from Intel, those drivers are meant to be for desktop motherboards NOT laptops!!

ASUS has that 9.4.0.1027 on their main drivers website but why do you think they only posted 9.4.0.1022 on the G750JW downloads page? it's because that what works properly with this laptop and you have to install it with the -overall -overide command then reinstall IRST
everything is mentioned in the guide I gave you

ZERO013
12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
I followed the guide after doing the 8.1 update thats when this all started.... i did that install from the guide for those drivers using the cmd overall overide just like the guide showed and it still didnt fix it.. think im going to try for about ten min again now and if i can't get it im just starting fresh with that guide

hmscott
12-29-2013, 01:14 AM
indeed i did...just doesnt seem to be taking it, unless you have another suggestion it might be time to just call it and start back from scratch and follow the clean install guide on the other website...:mad:

Asus / Windows provides a recovery facility - use F9 at boot time, and select varying degrees of recovery.

I would try the Windows Refresh first. You maintain your config, Windows just gets refreshed back. I haven't done it under Windows 8.1. That is all that should be need to fix this problem.

The full restore to default config is the last step to try before giving up completely, and moving to MacOS X ;-)

You only need the Asus install / Windows Update / Nvidia downloads to keep you up to date.

We don't need to go outside that eco-system and redo all the work Asus did to create a Windows install by going back to a Windows 8.1 Microsoft and doing that all yourself..

That is a silly waste of time, unless you screwed up and blew away your original recovery partitions without backing it up ==> Nehmia :)

Don't fall down the same rabbit hole - it buys you nothing.

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Asus / Windows provides a recovery facility - use F9 at boot time, and select varying degrees of recovery.

I would try the Windows Refresh first. You maintain your config, Windows just gets refreshed back. I haven't done it under Windows 8.1. That is all that should be need to fix this problem.

The full restore to default config is the last step to try before giving up completely, and moving to MacOS X ;-)

You only need the Asus install / Windows Update / Nvidia downloads to keep you up to date.

We don't need to go outside that eco-system and redo all the work Asus did to create a Windows install by going back to a Windows 8.1 Microsoft and doing that all yourself..

That is a silly waste of time, unless you screwed up and blew away your original recovery partitions without backing it up ==> Nehmia :)

Don't fall down the same rabbit hole - it buys you nothing.

I'll try these suggestions hmscott and see where it takes me... recovery stuff should be there as I cloned my original HD when I installed the Samsung EVO SSD I installed. Screw the MAC's :-p, i grew up on them and couldn't stand their garabage software that constantly conflicted and programs were never able to work right on them...

So f9 gave me an error, so i went to bios and booted from the backtracker thumb drive i made incase this happened... will keep you posted

hmscott
12-29-2013, 04:21 AM
I'll try these suggestions hmscott and see where it takes me... recovery stuff should be there as I cloned my original HD when I installed the Samsung EVO SSD I installed. Screw the MAC's :-p, i grew up on them and couldn't stand their garabage software that constantly conflicted and programs were never able to work right on them...

So f9 gave me an error, so i went to bios and booted from the backtracker thumb drive i made incase this happened... will keep you posted

You can also get to the recovery options via setting them at reboot/shutdown by holding CTRL-ALT-SHIFT while selecting restart/shutdown. It then gives you many options including troubleshooting and recovery. But, it may be that the partitioning it found wasn't to it's purpose so didn't work - you didn't post the exact text/photo of the error.

The full restore from the Backtracker USB drive should work smoothly...

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 05:22 AM
You can also get to the recovery options via setting them at reboot/shutdown by holding CTRL-ALT-SHIFT while selecting restart/shutdown. It then gives you many options including troubleshooting and recovery. But, it may be that the partitioning it found wasn't to it's purpose so didn't work - you didn't post the exact text/photo of the error.

The full restore from the Backtracker USB drive should work smoothly...

it did... and I have completed the first rounds of updating windows... now everything is working normally... however I still need to do the 8.1 update.... should i do that then make sure everything is working ok create a restore point or whatever then... then start dnling drivers from asus for 8.1?

hmscott
12-29-2013, 05:33 AM
it did... and I have completed the first rounds of updating windows... now everything is working normally... however I still need to do the 8.1 update.... should i do that then make sure everything is working ok create a restore point or whatever then... then start dnling drivers from asus for 8.1?

When I did this I made image backups of the disk using Macrium Reflect, so I could recover back to Windows 8, 8.1, and 8.1 fully configured, in case something messed up along the way. I backed up the images to the 1TB drive.

So yeah, it's kinda like a saved game - you avoid having to go back levels to get back to where you are should Windows kill your install :)

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 05:42 AM
When I did this I made image backups of the disk using Macrium Reflect, so I could recover back to Windows 8, 8.1, and 8.1 fully configured, in case something messed up along the way. I backed up the images to the 1TB drive.

So yeah, it's kinda like a saved game - you avoid having to go back levels to get back to where you are should Windows kill your install :)

talk about a pain.. k sounds like a plan ill use my 2tb external... did you do all the updates listed on asus support site or did you do all the updates as laid out on that other site for doing a clean install?

hmscott
12-29-2013, 06:27 AM
talk about a pain.. k sounds like a plan ill use my 2tb external... did you do all the updates listed on asus support site or did you do all the updates as laid out on that other site for doing a clean install?

It is a simple matter of common sense for the most part. Let Microsoft do all the updates - until it wants to do no more updates - it takes quite a few rounds under Windows 8, then the 8.1 update, and then a number of additional updates after that.

Then, or while you are waiting for the Windsows updates to download and install, you find all the downloads from Asus that apply to your hardware - under G750JW, JX, JH and then look for Windows updates as a last thing, and then every Tuesday moving forward.

That should be enough, but you can also do what I do, and download the updates for add on's like Wireless and Bluetooth boards from the OEMs, and audio chipsets like Realtek from their .tw site. I also do the Intel chipset drivers - they are the same chipset drivers for all current chipsets desktop and mobile. Then you can download the Nvidia WHQL driver, most recent and if you are playing new games with fixes in the Beta release you can do that too,

I downloaded the newest Killer 1202 Qualcomm Wireless drivers which also came with the new Bluetooth drivers, but you probably have the Broadcom 802.11ac chipset so you will need to look those up too. I don't go to 3rd party sites, I only download from Asus and the original manufacturer - too much of a chance for funny business - stay away from the .ru sites :)

Reboot between driver installs if they don't do it for you. Takes longer, keeps it cleaner.

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 06:43 AM
It is a simple matter of common sense for the most part. Let Microsoft do all the updates - until it wants to do no more updates - it takes quite a few rounds under Windows 8, then the 8.1 update, and then a number of additional updates after that.

Then, or while you are waiting for the Windsows updates to download and install, you find all the downloads from Asus that apply to your hardware - under G750JW, JX, JH and then look for Windows updates as a last thing, and then every Tuesday moving forward.

That should be enough, but you can also do what I do, and download the updates for add on's like Wireless and Bluetooth boards from the OEMs, and audio chipsets like Realtek from their .tw site. I also do the Intel chipset drivers - they are the same chipset drivers for all current chipsets desktop and mobile. Then you can download the Nvidia WHQL driver, most recent and if you are playing new games with fixes in the Beta release you can do that too,

I downloaded the newest Killer 1202 Qualcomm Wireless drivers which also came with the new Bluetooth drivers, but you probably have the Broadcom 802.11ac chipset so you will need to look those up too. I don't go to 3rd party sites, I only download from Asus and the original manufacturer - too much of a chance for funny business - stay away from the .ru sites :)

Reboot between driver installs if they don't do it for you. Takes longer, keeps it cleaner.

Right'o the site i mentioned just has the tutorial and link back for drivers to asus... for the intel chipset should i follow those instructions for the cmd install with the -overall -overide?

hmscott
12-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Right'o the site i mentioned just has the tutorial and link back for drivers to asus... for the intel chipset should i follow those instructions for the cmd install with the -overall -overide?

ZERO013, no don't use that, it looks like the -override option likely caused your earlier problem.

This looks like the source of the idea of forcing the install of the chip set drivers, even over other installs that are incompatible. The original poster b,e,r,r,y,r,a,c,e,r, who suggested those commands and the method, retracted the suggestion in post #12

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=328704

See post #12
in response to "However, I tried to upgrade on RSTL driver and this created the nightmare, and I had to restore from my image. Yes, it is forcing the overwrite which caused the problem."

"Ah thanks for letting me know..I guess I never had a problem because I always the Chipset Drivers THEN the IRST I have edited the guide and just kept the -overall command and removed the -overide"

And, in post #14, an exasperated b,e,r,r,y,r,a,c,e,r was unable to remove his tragic suggestion, and it has lived on since 2008 - because people are too "busy" to read the entire thread :)

"Yeah I wanted to remove the -overide command from the guide but I can't edit my own thread for god's sake! I sent a PM to Ronjor to edit it for me but nothing happened! "

I guess Ronjor missed the request :)

Just let the installer do the intelligent thing and do the install correctly for you.

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 08:34 AM
ZERO013, no don't use that, it looks like the -override option likely caused your earlier problem.

This looks like the source of the idea of forcing the install of the chip set drivers, even over other installs that are incompatible. The original poster b,e,r,r,y,r,a,c,e,r, who suggested those commands and the method, retracted the suggestion in post #12

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=328704

See post #12
in response to "However, I tried to upgrade on RSTL driver and this created the nightmare, and I had to restore from my image. Yes, it is forcing the overwrite which caused the problem."

"Ah thanks for letting me know..I guess I never had a problem because I always the Chipset Drivers THEN the IRST I have edited the guide and just kept the -overall command and removed the -overide"

And, in post #14, an exasperated b,e,r,r,y,r,a,c,e,r was unable to remove his tragic suggestion, and it has lived on since 2008 - because people are too "busy" to read the entire thread :)

"Yeah I wantedto remove the -overide command from the guide but I can't edit my own thread for god's sake! I sent a PM to Ronjor to edit it for me but nothing happened! "

I guess Roger missed the request :)
Just let the installer do the intelligent thing and do the install correctly for you.

THanks for the info H....I've backed up my image of 8 with all the windows updates run so now i'll set it to dnl 8.1 while I go to sleep... then Ill save an image of that and make sure all is well then start uplaoding all those driver updates direct from asus support site.... so for the chip set drivers I'll just double click on the setup.exe and just let it do its thing that seems reasonable... oh also now that I have restored from the backtracker the damn 20gb recovery partition is on my drive... didn't you suggest a program for removing that as it seems i can't delete it in the disk management?

ps not the same website forum I was using but solves my problem so kudos on finding that obscure forum posting... the site I was using for going thru all the drivers was one they don't post here with the guide for clean install started by Maximus... i'm sure u're familiar...

thanks again

hmscott
12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
THanks for the info H....I've backed up my image of 8 with all the windows updates run so now i'll set it to dnl 8.1 while I go to sleep... then Ill save an image of that and make sure all is well then start uplaoding all those driver updates direct from asus support site.... so for the chip set drivers I'll just double click on the setup.exe and just let it do its thing that seems reasonable... oh also now that I have restored from the backtracker the damn 20gb recovery partition is on my drive... didn't you suggest a program for removing that as it seems i can't delete it in the disk management?

ps not the same website forum I was using but solves my problem so kudos on finding that obscure forum posting... the site I was using for going thru all the drivers was one they don't post here with the guide for clean install started by Maximus... i'm sure u're familiar...

thanks again

You might want to post to that site and let them know about the -override issue, so they are aware of it. I don't post there.

The recovery partitions are protected, so you have to use a tool that will allow you to override the protection, and the Windows diskpart program will work, I posted about it here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41030-Just-ordered-my-new-G750JH-DB71&p=355046&viewfull=1#post355046

Good night :)

ZERO013
12-29-2013, 07:55 PM
You might want to post to that site and let them know about the -override issue, so they are aware of it. I don't post there.

The recovery partitions are protected, so you have to use a tool that will allow you to override the protection, and the Windows diskpart program will work, I posted about it here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41030-Just-ordered-my-new-G750JH-DB71&p=355046&viewfull=1#post355046

Good night :)

thanks for the help H.. so far so good on updating drivers for 8.1, Ill check your post and follow that for reaping the 20gb partition back after I do a final image copy. I'll see about that other site but I doubt I will create a login just for that one post.. maybe if I can post as a guest... otherwise people can come to this forum and find this thread to help them... thanks again for all the help

Update*** so i think the problem lies with one of the driver installs as i run down the list. wither one from the list from asus or the asus nvidia driver that is liked in a post here by nehmia for the latest 331.82 driver... the last drivesr i installed were the power4gear, asus usb charger, splendid, not sure which one acctually did it or if it was an earlier one as my dumbass forgot to check after each one. so i did the windows system restore that was the only one available from after the 8.1 install and I will now be going thru this again but will check each driver install to see which one is doing this and also making a restore point each time to make my life easier....grr:mad:

ZERO013
12-30-2013, 02:55 AM
FIgured it out... the usb charger driver failed to install then says it installed now all the usb and connections are screwed... looking at the version from asus support is 2.1.5 and that was already installed on the laptop.. no need to reinstall it since it was same version...i uninstalled the program then reinstalled it and all was right again. no need to recover.... hooray

hmscott
12-30-2013, 03:00 AM
FIgured it out... the usb charger driver failed to install then says it installed now all the usb and connections are screwed... looking at the version from asus support is 2.1.5 and that was already installed on the laptop.. no need to reinstall it since it was same version...i uninstalled the program then reinstalled it and all was right again. no need to recover.... hooray

I posted about that glitch with USBCharger+ while doing the new updates here, last paragraph:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41740-Asus-is-Posting-New-G750-Windows-8.1-64-bit-drivers!&p=353757&viewfull=1#post353757

Glad to hear it is all working :)

Also, I have a working fix for the Windows 8.1 shutdown/restart slowdown - where the screen goes blank, but it takes 2-3 minutes for the disk activity to stop and the system to shutdown or restart:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41783-G750-hanging-on-Shutdown-FIX&p=354005&viewfull=1#post354005

ZERO013
12-30-2013, 04:18 AM
I posted about that glitch with USBCharger+ while doing the new updates here, last paragraph:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41740-Asus-is-Posting-New-G750-Windows-8.1-64-bit-drivers!&p=353757&viewfull=1#post353757

Glad to hear it is all working :)

Also, I have a working fix for the Windows 8.1 shutdown/restart slowdown - where the screen goes blank, but it takes 2-3 minutes for the disk activity to stop and the system to shutdown or restart:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41783-G750-hanging-on-Shutdown-FIX&p=354005&viewfull=1#post354005

so far haven't had issues with it being slow to shut down but will tag ur thread if I do.... thanks

mataleo
11-13-2014, 08:55 AM
can u guys advice me how can i fix camera on my asus ROG G750JW

win 8.1

i did reinstall usb charger, but no luck

in devices manager it shows camera installed with windows driver

is it any asus driver for that camera that i can download?

thx

hmscott
11-13-2014, 10:21 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53595-asus-rog-g750jw-camera-drivers&p=449757&viewfull=1#post449757

cosie
11-02-2015, 09:27 PM
the same problem as was with ZEROO13 - device manager cannot see camera like it is disconnected. and also microphone is not working - but it is ok in device manager. can this be the issue with hardware connection? tried different combination of drivers, reinstalled usb charger software also. windows 8.1