PDA

View Full Version : Unresponsive Restart Problem

Larryk
12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi all, i have a G750JX with a samsung SSD as the primary and the stock hard disk as the secondary. It was working well until i removed the hard disk and replaced it back. Now whenever i restart the computer, after windows 'shutdown', the keyboard and a few lights remain on but unresponsive. After about 3-5 mins, the computer will then restart. If i were to shut down, there is no problem. Only when i select the restart on windows 8, then the same thing will happen. I've updated the bios and i'm running windows 8.1, latest nvdia drivers installed as well

hmscott
12-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Hi all, i have a G750JX with a samsung SSD as the primary and the stock hard disk as the secondary. It was working well until i removed the hard disk and replaced it back. Now whenever i restart the computer, after windows 'shutdown', the keyboard and a few lights remain on but unresponsive. After about 3-5 mins, the computer will then restart. If i were to shut down, there is no problem. Only when i select the restart on windows 8, then the same thing will happen. I've updated the bios and i'm running windows 8.1, latest nvdia drivers installed as well

This appears to be a dumb-ass problem in Windows 8.1 that has recently started annoying everyone. It started happening to me too, and I "fixed it" temporarily but then it came back.

When I get some time to debug I will post a solution - if I find one - right now I am thinking this is a Microsoft bug to fix.

If you just leave it, it will eventually reboot. But, I think it is safe to power off with the power button 15 seconds or so after the screen goes dark.

Waiting for reboot/shutdown is a good sized period of time to fill by reading positive aspirations:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/aspiration

Of course you need another computer / screen to view them :)