PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Backtracker problem - Recovering image error - / HDD to SSD

devx_mateusz
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I've just bought a G750JH-T4100H with the 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD SATA III - SAMSUNG. The Win8 was pre-installed on a 1TB HDD and I wanted to move it to SSD using Asus Backtracker. I've successfully created a recovery media on a 16GB USB device. I've removed the original HDD and installed the clean SSD only. I've booted PC from the USB device and when I try to recover the system I get this error:

"Recovering image error"
Interrupt when recover image: exception when access USB device.
1. Please make sure that USB device and laptop are connected when recover image.
2. Please check your USB device can work well.
3. Click 'OK' to reboot

I tried 2 different USB devices on each USB port. I disabled secure boot and enabled CSM in BIOS. USB device is FAT32 formatted. I tried with Asus Backtracer v2.0.0 and v3.0.3 - I get similar error.

Any ideas, how can I solve this issue?
Please help, thanks in advance.

hmscott
12-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I've just bought a G750JH-T4100H with the 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD SATA III - SAMSUNG. The Win8 was pre-installed on a 1TB HDD and I wanted to move it to SSD using Asus Backtracker. I've successfully created a recovery media on a 16GB USB device. I've removed the original HDD and installed the clean SSD only. I've booted PC from the USB device and when I try to recover the system I get this error:

"Recovering image error"
Interrupt when recover image: exception when access USB device.
1. Please make sure that USB device and laptop are connected when recover image.
2. Please check your USB device can work well.
3. Click 'OK' to reboot

I tried 2 different USB devices on each USB port. I disabled secure boot and enabled CSM in BIOS. USB device is FAT32 formatted. I tried with Asus Backtracer v2.0.0 and v3.0.3 - I get similar error.

Any ideas, how can I solve this issue?
Please help, thanks in advance.

What are the make/model of the USB flash drives? I have run across problems at times with odd flash drives, mostly the cheap ones. I didn't have a problem using a Sandisk 32GB, a Sony 64GB MicroVault, or a Sony 16GB MicroVault on my G750JH.

devx_mateusz
12-30-2013, 01:42 PM
What are the make/model of the USB flash drives? I have run across problems at times with odd flash drives, mostly the cheap ones. I didn't have a problem using a Sandisk 32GB, a Sony 64GB MicroVault, or a Sony 16GB MicroVault on my G750JH.

Thanks for your advice. I tried these two devices. The second one is the external hdd:
- TDK 16GB Trans-IT (http://goo.gl/r5xjBN)
- WD Elements SE Portable 500 GB (http://goo.gl/XD9WQc)

hmscott
12-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your advice. I tried these two devices. The second one is the external hdd:
- TDK 16GB Trans-IT (http://goo.gl/r5xjBN)
- WD Elements SE Portable 500 GB (http://goo.gl/XD9WQc)

Did you look at the WD after running Backtracker? It only makes a 20GB partition at most. I don't know if a large HD is supported, and it looks like the TDK isn't either.

You might try a name brand unit, like a Kingston, SanDisk, Patriot, or ?

Others aren't getting those errors when doing a restore. I haven't tried myself, but now that I see the potential for error, I guess I will test it soon :)

devx_mateusz
12-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Did you look at the WD after running Backtracker? It only makes a 20GB partition at most. I don't know if a large HD is supported, and it looks like the TDK isn't either.

You might try a name brand unit, like a Kingston, SanDisk, Patriot, or ?

Others aren't getting those errors when doing a restore. I haven't tried myself, but now that I see the potential for error, I guess I will test it soon :)

I've just tried a new SanDisk 32GB and the same error appears unfortunately. :/ just can't understand why it happens.

Any other ideas?

hmscott
12-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I've just tried a new SanDisk 32GB and the same error appears unfortunately. :/ just can't understand why it happens.

Any other ideas?

Don't have much time right now to research it, but the only other things I can think of to try right now are:

1) Other ports on the laptop
2) Enable/disable USB3.0 support in bios
3) Read the Backtracker instructions...

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion?

reka121402
12-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Did you wipe the SSD before trying to install the OS? It needs to be a clean format.

Did you remove the SSD before creating the image? I don't know if it is required, but when cloning it is best to remove all possible chances for errors.

Is the SSD in the left hand drive bay (I think it comes that way stock)? I never had an issue when I upgraded my HDD to SSD, but others have reported problems when the OS SSD is in the right bay.

I used a new SanDisk drive purchased from Walmart when creating the image and it worked fine, but that is only after my older SanDisk (minimum 3 years) had issues.

That's all I can think of.

Edit: For those of you with JH models, can the issue be going from a single HDD image to a RAID0 install? I don't know anything about RAID.

prueker
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Exactly the same here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34305-Windows-8-backup&p=351891&viewfull=1#post351891

BTW. What windows version do you have? People say backtracker is working for version 8, I have 8PRO and it does not.

I've opened the support case for this, will post the response.

prueker
01-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I have just received official asus support statement that restoring image from backtracker when chaning from HDD to SDD will not work.
Awaiting info regarding restoring to tradicional HDD.

ammar.2520
12-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Any news? Any one get successful upgrade to ssd?

hmscott
12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Any news? Any one get successful upgrade to ssd?

ammar.2520, try looking for old threads with a successful outcome. :)

Before and since that time many people have done a successful HDD to SSD Asus Backtracker backup/restore.

Did you track down and get the flash drives that were recommended to work?

PM cl-albert from Asus and discuss the problem with him, he knows it works and can work with you to find a solution. Tell him what you have tried and what failed.

Good luck!