PDA

View Full Version : 750JH - Adding another SSD

bri5150
12-31-2013, 03:23 AM
My stock JH has the dual 128 SSD's and the 1 TB standard drive. My SSD only has 48Gb free after Win 8.1, Sniper Elite 2, BF3, Left 4 Dead 2, AC4 & Batman Arkham. I deleted the partitions and made the 2 SSD's one larger 217Gb drive. Has anyone replaced the dual 128's with anything lager?

Or, is there any issue with changing the 1TB standard drive to a SSD? I know it wouldn't be in Raid, but a single SSD would still be very fast. Not even sure what type of port the standard drive is plugged into and if it could even use the full speed of an SSD drive. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Brian.

hmscott
12-31-2013, 03:52 AM
My stock JH has the dual 128 SSD's and the 1 TB standard drive. My SSD only has 48Gb free after Win 8.1, Sniper Elite 2, BF3, Left 4 Dead 2, AC4 & Batman Arkham. I deleted the partitions and made the 2 SSD's one larger 217Gb drive. Has anyone replaced the dual 128's with anything lager?

Or, is there any issue with changing the 1TB standard drive to a SSD? I know it wouldn't be in Raid, but a single SSD would still be very fast. Not even sure what type of port the standard drive is plugged into and if it could even use the full speed of an SSD drive. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Brian.

We are right on the cusp of getting the fruit of these new NAND chips in mSata form factor:
http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-840-evo-msata-1tb-ssd-review-unheard-msata-capacity-along-turbowrite-great-security/?ModPagespeed=noscript

I am waiting for those :)

I have used Samsung 256GB mSata PM841 in a 2x RAID, and just like all the other current mSata drives the Write speed was 1/2 the Read speed. Here is a review of the 512GB, which does a little better than 1/2 as good on Writes:
http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-pm841-512gb-msata-ssd-review-performance-and-capacity-in-a-client-ssd/?ModPagespeed=noscript

A couple of notes. First, when you remove the 128's, be sure and mark them as to which socket they came from so you can put them back in place and match the RAID to function. Second, we may need to figure out a way to clamp down on the free end to keep it from falling out - as the OEM 128's are a bit longer than normal mSata cards.

And, it looks like the other bay is also Sata III, all the controllers showing are 6gps ports, so we can do a 3xRAID with similar sized parts.

Here is a nice comparison chart from the 1TB Samsung article. It is a nice list of the competition.

As you can see by the chart, our SanDisk 128's are modest in performance ;)

If you jump in to upgrade them now, let us know what you decide...