PDA

View Full Version : G750JH light bleed issues - normal?

Shatner\'s hairpiece
01-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Just bought this. I can clearly see light bleed on edges of screen in desktop mode, using the asus laptop photo background, particularly the right edge. When screen is dark or black, there is a row of alternating bleeds: purple, yellow, purple, yellow. Each is about an inch long, going all the way down the side of the screen. It is not so obvious on direct view but if I move four inches to the left or look at the screen from a higher angle, it it quite pronounced. The left edge does not have this bleeding problem at all. I can squeeze the edge of the bezel and see that it moves, but it never goes away.

I find this very disappointing considering how much money I paid for this. My wife's $850 acer screen looks way better than this Asus rog.

I can't imagine this light bleed being normal. I have not read anyone else having this problem though. Should I take it back for a replacement or is this normal for this model? I really don't see it in a regular browsing window because the scroll bar on right edge covers the bleeding areas, but I know it is there.

Great laptop otherwise, but still nowhere near the quality of my ipad screen for reading text. I got it for games, so not a big deal, but for $2400, I didn't expect an $850 ips acer v7 aspire (1920x1080) to have such a better screen.

Pitcher@asus
01-03-2014, 05:23 AM
please send to service center to check it, or you can post photo?

Shatner\'s hairpiece
01-03-2014, 09:42 PM
two photos show white screen, but are actually black. that was high iso. would you find this bleed acceptable? Does anyone owning this model have light bleed? for some reason. these photos came out sideways. the bleed is on right edge of screen.

reka121402
01-03-2014, 10:53 PM
If look downward into the gap between the screen and the plastic frame I can see the white LEDs in those areas, but I personally have no color bleed like you do on my JX.

What you showed in the pics is (in my opinion) unacceptable for today's QC on LED displays, both monitors and tvs. I would send it in for replacement if it were me.

Edit: Also, to compare this screen to an Apple Retina screen isn't really fair. 1080p v. 1440p. Matte v. Glossy. The Retina is a fantastic display, easily the best mass produced screen out there.

Shatner\'s hairpiece
01-04-2014, 12:45 AM
I agree this is unacceptable. I will be returning it to future shop tonight and they will mail me a new one, probably next week. . Hopefully, the replacement is good. Since I can't seem to find any complaints about the g750 in regards to backlight bleeding, this is probably a rare dud. Thanks for the input.

Yes, I am spoiled by my ipad screen!

Shatner\'s hairpiece
01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Got my second 750JH delivered today. Just as bad as the first. :o Exact same backlight bleed issues on the right side of the screen. At least this time I was able to see the problem immediately on booting it up before even doing any installation or updates. I think that's it for me and Asus. Taking it back to future shop and getting a full refund. I am not going through this a third time. It's a shame too because I really like the laptop. Maybe best buy problems are also future shop problems with this model. I'll have to look at an alternative laptop brand or just build a new PC.

WinterMisha
03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Got my second 750JH delivered today. Just as bad as the first. :o Exact same backlight bleed issues on the right side of the screen. At least this time I was able to see the problem immediately on booting it up before even doing any installation or updates. I think that's it for me and Asus. Taking it back to future shop and getting a full refund. I am not going through this a third time. It's a shame too because I really like the laptop. Maybe best buy problems are also future shop problems with this model. I'll have to look at an alternative laptop brand or just build a new PC.
man i have same issue... and its my 3d laptop... i do really like the laptop but this backlight bleed is really annoying... i don't know what to do

hmscott
03-05-2014, 08:42 AM
The G750JW/JX have a normally bright display, running it at 90%+ is ok.

The JH AUO (matte) display puts out too much light at 90%+, the whites bloom at that setting. I run at about 70%, more than bright enough - and running at 70% (or even 50%) might get rid of the most offensive bleed you are seeing.

Give it a try and let us know how that works for you. It might take a little while to re-adjust to 70%, but it is more than bright enough indoors - sometimes I drop lower.

I don't reduce the brightness to get rid of bleed, it is just too bright for me, and I normally like the display up around 95-100% - bright.

There is usually a transition point below which the bleed will drop away. On my TV the bleed starts to show at 53% brightness - the bleed goes away at 52% - one click up and it comes back.

You might try playing with the brightness/contrast to see if you can find a transition point on your G750 display that cuts out most or all of the bleed.

WinterMisha
03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
The G750JW/JX have a normally bright display, running it at 90%+ is ok.

The JH AUO (matte) display puts out too much light at 90%+, the whites bloom at that setting. I run at about 70%, more than bright enough - and running at 70% (or even 50%) might get rid of the most offensive bleed you are seeing.

Give it a try and let us know how that works for you. It might take a little while to re-adjust to 70%, but it is more than bright enough indoors - sometimes I drop lower.

I don't reduce the brightness to get rid of bleed, it is just too bright for me, and I normally like the display up around 95-100% - bright.

There is usually a transition point below which the bleed will drop away. On my TV the bleed starts to show at 53% brightness - the bleed goes away at 52% - one click up and it comes back.

You might try playing with the brightness/contrast to see if you can find a transition point on your G750 display that cuts out most or all of the bleed.
So you have this issue too?
I will try to play with brightness later and let you know.
Thank you

hmscott
03-05-2014, 06:32 PM
So you have this issue too?
I will try to play with brightness later and let you know.
Thank you

In the way that I have a JH that is way too bright all over, yes, but not in the way that light bleed is usually termed, a specific location / area that is brighter than others, usually due to a mechanical attachment 'pinch' / ill fit.

But knowing how I mitigate light bleed on devices that do have specific bleed areas - by lowering the brightness / LED light, I thought I would mention that trick to you to see if it will help. The JH is already too bright, so there is a lot of fudge room to lower the brightness to kill the bleed while still being bright enough to be normal brightness.

My TV model is an edge lit LED and I went through 2 before I found one that had the least objectionable localized brightness on the right side, about an inch on the whole right edge. As I said above, 1 step in the brightness setting is the trigger point that changes the bleed from being visible in dark scenes to being not objectionable.

I hope this works for you, let us know what settings you find are best.

WinterMisha
03-05-2014, 11:58 PM
In the way that I have a JH that is way too bright all over, yes, but not in the way that light bleed is usually termed, a specific location / area that is brighter than others, usually due to a mechanical attachment 'pinch' / ill fit.

But knowing how I mitigate light bleed on devices that do have specific bleed areas - by lowering the brightness / LED light, I thought I would mention that trick to you to see if it will help. The JH is already too bright, so there is a lot of fudge room to lower the brightness to kill the bleed while still being bright enough to be normal brightness.

My TV model is an edge lit LED and I went through 2 before I found one that had the least objectionable localized brightness on the right side, about an inch on the whole right edge. As I said above, 1 step in the brightness setting is the trigger point that changes the bleed from being visible in dark scenes to being not objectionable.

I hope this works for you, let us know what settings you find are best.
Hello
Well i lower it to 0% brightness and i still can see it barely but still do ..Currently my brightness is on 60% and its not like it so much noticeable but like this guy said before (i know its there and it drives me nuts) and its true.. I know mine laptop is JX and it cost only 1500$ not a 2400$ like JH but its still alot of money for me for the laptop...
I had and still have my old laptops and i never face such a problem even they were 400-600$
I never heard about backlight bleed until i bought ASUS.
I am not trying to ***** here and i do appreciate your attention and help but this is really frustrating..
Do you think there is anything else i can do about it?
Thank you

TiberiusX
03-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Great, thanks Misha...LOL. I never noticed it until your thread but I have it too, only really notice it on boot up screen though and love my JH so
I'm hesitant to take it back to Best Buy for an exchange as they would have to order another for me and that would take 7-10 days again so I
might just live with it.

**hmscott, thanks for the note on turning down the brightness, I thought it was just me getting used to a new display after coming from my G74SX...no more retina searing brightness.....:D

WinterMisha
03-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Great, thanks Misha...LOL. I never noticed it until your thread but I have it too, only really notice it on boot up screen though and love my JH so
I'm hesitant to take it back to Best Buy for an exchange as they would have to order another for me and that would take 7-10 days again so I
might just live with it.

**hmscott, thanks for the note on turning down the brightness, I thought it was just me getting used to a new display after coming from my G74SX...no more retina searing brightness.....:D
Hello.
I am really sorry about that.
Sounds just like me when i got my first g750JW... i did ask for replacement and it has exactly the same issue..Allot of wasted time and nerves and here i am now with brand new G750JX for the third time just got it yesterday and it have same backlight bleed problem...Just Advice,do not waste your time because its gonna be exactly the same thing with replacement...
As i said before i am here not to ***** about the laptop so here is some good things about it.
Reason why i bought the laptop and not build the PC for those money its because me and my friends like to party together and play games and in this case laptop is a perfect choice(G750JX).So the only reason why exactly i pick Asus is because one friend of mine have ASUS G75vw and no matter what this machine never Overheats and stay quiet meanwhile my other fiend have problems with hes Lenovo Y510p that reaches 98C on GPU same thing about MSI and on top of it they both are extra noisy .So here what i wanna to say,G750 is really great laptop but Screen is Bleeding and there is noting that we can do about it ....
And i will repeat again by lowering brightness it become just less visible but its still there.
thank you

Cormogram
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Hello.
I am really sorry about that.
Sounds just like me when i got my first g750JW... i did ask for replacement and it has exactly the same issue..Allot of wasted time and nerves and here i am now with brand new G750JX for the third time just got it yesterday and it have same backlight bleed problem...Just Advice,do not waste your time because its gonna be exactly the same thing with replacement...
As i said before i am here not to ***** about the laptop so here is some good things about it.
Reason why i bought the laptop and not build the PC for those money its because me and my friends like to party together and play games and in this case laptop is a perfect choice(G750JX).So the only reason why exactly i pick Asus is because one friend of mine have ASUS G75vw and no matter what this machine never Overheats and stay quiet meanwhile my other fiend have problems with hes Lenovo Y510p that reaches 98C on GPU same thing about MSI and on top of it they both are extra noisy .So here what i wanna to say,G750 is really great laptop but Screen is Bleeding and there is noting that we can do about it ....
And i will repeat again by lowering brightness it become just less visible but its still there.
thank you
What kind of screen finish is that (glossy or matte or "anti-glare")?
Could you please post the manufacturer and model of the LCD? You can find that info with programs such as HWiNFO[1].

[1] http://www.hwinfo.com/

hmscott
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM

It took me a little while to figure it out, was so excited about the JH, but yeah, Retina Searing Brightness it is :)

About 60-70% is enough for normal light. I haven't tried it outside yet, but maybe the 100% will help for bright outdoor light.

WinterMisha, sorry man, I wish it had cured it for you. You could return it for another, or RMA the screen problem to Asus. I don't have the bad bleed issue, but yours isn't as bad as I have seen, if that helps any - IDK if you can live with it, but I know how you feel - I have gone through similar situations with other gear.

hmscott
03-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I never heard about backlight bleed until i bought ASUS.
I am not trying to ***** here and i do appreciate your attention and help but this is really frustrating..
Do you think there is anything else i can do about it?
Thank you

WnterMisha, it is likely a mechanical attachment issue under the bezel, where the LCD attaches to the lid, or how the LCD/backlight are sandwiched together. I have seen this kind of problem fixed by service people, but they know the specific hardware well, and have spent time getting to know the assembly / dis-assembly techniques and what causes the problem so they can reattach it correctly. Best fixed by Asus in this case. but if you have someone you know that works in this area you can ask them if they think they can fix it but if they mess up it might void the warranty.

WinterMisha
03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
What kind of screen finish is that (glossy or matte or "anti-glare")?
Could you please post the manufacturer and model of the LCD? You can find that info with programs such as HWiNFO[1].

[1] http://www.hwinfo.com/
Hello
Here is full info about my laptop:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8208716&Sku=A50-173318
Screen is FHD LED non-glare
Munufacturer is ASUS but made in China..
Thank you

WinterMisha
03-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Hello
As you already know its my 3d G750 and returning it for the 4th time its just insane and its not gonna change anything,because they all bleed.
Even your JH bleeds not that much but it does.
And its just 2 days old still have this new smell ... i don't want to take it for the warranty or any service.Plus i don't any around me and its all extra money..
I have only two choices:
1.Return it and never buy ASUS Again.
2.Keep it and live with it.
But i still need to think because i do really like it :) its just this bleed (I HATE YOU BACKLIGHT BLEED!!!!! ;..; )
Thank you

WinterMisha
03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
It took me a little while to figure it out, was so excited about the JH, but yeah, Retina Searing Brightness it is :)

About 60-70% is enough for normal light. I haven't tried it outside yet, but maybe the 100% will help for bright outdoor light.

WinterMisha, sorry man, I wish it had cured it for you. You could return it for another, or RMA the screen problem to Asus. I don't have the bad bleed issue, but yours isn't as bad as I have seen, if that helps any - IDK if you can live with it, but I know how you feel - I have gone through similar situations with other gear.
Hello
As you already know its my 3d G750 and returning it for the 4th time its just insane and its not gonna change anything,because they all bleed.
Even your JH bleeds not that much but it does.
And its just 2 days old still have this new smell ... i don't want take it for the warranty or any service.Plus i don't have any service around me and its all extra money..
I have only two choices:
1.Return it and never buy ASUS Again.
2.Keep it and live with it.
But i still need to think because i do really like it :) its just this bleed (I HATE YOU BACKLIGHT BLEED!!!!! ;..; )
Thank you

numanRC
03-06-2014, 06:18 PM
or just fix it yourself. Open it, push&fix the edges in place (probably "warranty" will be gone)

WinterMisha
03-08-2014, 04:07 AM
no solution i am about to return it

hmscott
03-08-2014, 05:59 AM
no solution i am about to return it

Sorry to hear that WinterMisha... maybe try the Matte screen version?

Let us know what you end up trying next!

WinterMisha
03-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Hello
I upload the video so you guys can see what is going on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wissxsLsBMA&feature=youtu.be
Thank you

QC_Desired
03-09-2014, 05:24 AM
WinterMisha,

I have the same light bleed issue.

My panel is an AU Optronics but I have noticed that some G750 have Chi Mei screens.

Can you please use HWINFO, or Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and list the model of the lcd panel you have?

Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Monitor>Generic PnP Monitor>Properties>Details>Hardware_IDs

hmscott
03-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Hello
I upload the video so you guys can see what is going on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wissxsLsBMA&feature=youtu.be
Thank you

You have hot spots I don't have, but I also have a brighter than black haze on the right side. But, only if I put on a High Contrast Black Theme - and turn up the brightness all the way.

Turning down the brightness to 70% doesn't get rid of it, I can still see the brightness difference, but it is a lot less than on 100% brightness.

When I select a normal color theme, there is absolutely no perceptible brightness in that area over any other area.

Do you notice the hotspots in normal use, or only when setting the conditions to exaggerate the difference in brightness?

There are a lot of things you can do with this laptop that will distract you from obsessing on a little extra brightness under bright on black conditions on the right side of the screen.

Try some theme's from here, and make a companion video so we can see the hotspots:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/themes?ocid=w8_client_themes

I downloaded a bunch of them, and in none do I notice the right side of the screen doing anything odd.

They all look beautiful :)

WinterMisha
03-10-2014, 05:23 AM
You have hot spots I don't have, but I also have a brighter than black haze on the right side. But, only if I put on a High Contrast Black Theme - and turn up the brightness all the way.

Turning down the brightness to 70% doesn't get rid of it, I can still see the brightness difference, but it is a lot less than on 100% brightness.

When I select a normal color theme, there is absolutely no perceptible brightness in that area over any other area.

Do you notice the hotspots in normal use, or only when setting the conditions to exaggerate the difference in brightness?

There are a lot of things you can do with this laptop that will distract you from obsessing on a little extra brightness under bright on black conditions on the right side of the screen.

Try some theme's from here, and make a companion video so we can see the hotspots:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/themes?ocid=w8_client_themes

I downloaded a bunch of them, and in none do I notice the right side of the screen doing anything odd.

They all look beautiful :)
Hello.
Screen looks normal when i browse or look at regular picture.I can only notice bleeding when watching movies,playing horror games or looking at dark pictures.
Sometimes i forget that screen is bleeding but once there is something dark its really obsess and make me sad.
Only choice i got is to ignore it,but i don't know for how log could i do that...

hmscott
03-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Hello.
Screen looks normal when i browse or look at regular picture.I can only notice bleeding when watching movies,playing horror games or looking at dark pictures.
Sometimes i forget that screen is bleeding but once there is something dark its really obsess and make me sad.
Only choice i got is to ignore it,but i don't know for how log could i do that...

Good that it is only under certain conditions, it is easier to ignore. But, should you decide to change, let us know how it works out.

WinterMisha
03-19-2014, 04:49 AM
Good that it is only under certain conditions, it is easier to ignore. But, should you decide to change, let us know how it works out.
HELLO
Hello everybody!
Just got mine 4d ASUS G750JX and after watching this video you will see that they all bleed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRXUcWL-IU&feature=youtu.be
VERY BAD ASUS,VERY Frustrating,very disappointing...

QC_Desired
03-19-2014, 05:32 AM
HELLO
Hello everybody!
Just got mine 4d ASUS G750JX and after watching this video you will see that they all bleed..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRXUcWL-IU&feature=youtu.be
VERY BAD ASUS,VERY Frustrating,very disappointing...

Same display panel?

Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Monitor>Generic PnP Monitor>Properties>Details>Hardware_IDs

WinterMisha
03-19-2014, 05:45 AM
yes

CosmicPoweR
03-19-2014, 05:48 AM
OMG... Same issue here like @WinterMisha case but just slightly bleed not so serious. Still considering should i bring it back to warranty.

QC_Desired
03-19-2014, 05:54 AM
OMG... Same issue here like @WinterMisha case but just slightly bleed not so serious. Still considering should i bring it back to warranty.

Nice to know we aren't the only ones.

Try changing to solid black background.

Can you confirm your display panel?

WinterMisha
03-19-2014, 06:02 AM
its not going to change anything as they all are bleeding

CosmicPoweR
03-19-2014, 06:06 AM

Yeap. I always use solid black or black minimalist background as i like dark color very much. About my display panel, I'm not with it now so will confirm with you guys later. Mine have a slightly light bleeding from right and somehow "black bleeding" from top.
Why Asus why?!

CosmicPoweR
03-19-2014, 06:08 AM
its not going to change anything as they all are bleeding
Haiz... Sad to hear that.

CosmicPoweR
03-19-2014, 05:28 PM

My display panel is AU Optronics.

WinterMisha
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I hate the day when i decide to buy this Trash!

QC_Desired
03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Btw, this issue may be specific to AUO panels:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44667-Backlight-Bleed-G750JX-G750JW-G750JH&country=&status=

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44877-ASUS-G750-Chi-Mei-vs-AU-OPTRONICS