PDA

View Full Version : G73sw: Black screen

thes33
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi there, I was hoping to get some feedback on a problem I've been having with my Asus G73sw (Win7 64x). I'm not sure when these issues started, because it would happen for a few days, then not happen again for weeks.

Frequently, after the computer boots up, shows the Asus logo and the Window startup sequence, but as soon as it reaches the log-on screen, the screen goes black. The blacklight is still lit. If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, sometimes it will pop back on to show the log-on screen, but then go black again when I select Task Manager. I've connected an external monitor and it works flawlessly. I can run my usual set of games using the monitor and the GPU is well below 60 C (about 45 avg during game, 38 idle).
I then made my LCD an extension of the external monitor, and it popped back on, although some things appear pixelated (especially white sections). If I R-click on the desktop on the LCD it'll go black while the windows context menu is up, but pop back on if I click out of it. Meanwhile the blacklit is always lit.

At this point I considered this might be a hardware problem, maybe the connection from the LCD to the GPU is damaged somehow, but then I tried uninstalling the nVidia drivers and rebooted. Now the LCD works just fine, no pixelation, no problems. I have tried the newest nVidia drivers and the ones recommended by Asus, both seem to cause this black screen issue. And it always goes away when the nVidia drivers are removed. I am now convinced this is a software issue because a damaged cord from the GPU to the LCD should still distort the video even if the GPU isn't accelerating, right?

Anyone have any ideas on what I should try next? Thanks for the help!

jmhdj
01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I hope for you'r sake I am wrong but it looks like failing gpu to me.

thes33
01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
If it was the GPU than I would see similar problems with the external monitor. The external works flawlessly.

jmhdj
01-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Not necessery. I had inn couple laptops now and all worked fine after gpu was exchanged.
However as said I hope I am wrong.

thes33
01-04-2014, 12:59 AM
It works just fine in Safe Mode or if I uninstall the nVidia drivers. I don't know what to do next because I can't get the screen to work with the Asus recommended drivers either. Seems that if I want hardware acceleration I have to use an external monitor.

jmhdj
01-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Funny way to describe it but you can think like old horse hes moving fine on it's own but if you put load on him he colapses :)

I apologise again for choosing to compare your gpu with old horse..

thes33
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Haha, I would agree if that was the case. But the gpu is working just fine. I can play any game on the external monitor, it's only the LCD that is acting funny. I'm positive this is a driver issue, I've had gpu's fail on me before and it's just not exhibiting that behavior.

jmhdj
01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Ok. When you say you can play any game on external monitor. You mean you have video driver installed first or what?

indianacarnie
01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
How old is your installation of Windows? You could try running a system file check to detect and possibly repair any corrupted system files.

1- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click CMD and run as an Administrator > in the elevated CMD prompt type" sfc/scannow" without the quotes. If it finds errors it will attempt to repair them. If so, run this two or three times rebooting between each run.

Have you checked the monitor itself? http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm

thes33
01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
How old is your installation of Windows? You could try running a system file check to detect and possibly repair any corrupted system files.

1- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click CMD and run as an Administrator > in the elevated CMD prompt type" sfc/scannow" without the quotes. If it finds errors it will attempt to repair them. If so, run this two or three times rebooting between each run.

Have you checked the monitor itself? http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm

My windows installation is about 2 yrs old. But system files checked out okay. LCD seems to be working perfectly. Things are working normally again after reinstalling latest nVidia drivers (331.82). I cleaned out all the old drivers, so it is possible there was a conflict somewhere. May be a fluke, but at least I can use it again. Fingers crossed.

billyray520
01-06-2014, 05:01 PM
My windows installation is about 2 yrs old. But system files checked out okay. LCD seems to be working perfectly. Things are working normally again after reinstalling latest nVidia drivers (331.82). I cleaned out all the old drivers, so it is possible there was a conflict somewhere. May be a fluke, but at least I can use it again. Fingers crossed.

Glad to hear you sorted it out! ;) I was going to agree that it was probably a driver problem. :p