PDA

View Full Version : disk defrag question

psychosocial81
01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Wanted to optimize my drive by performing disk defrag, was wondering why there is quite a few in the list that appears,

I have :

OS : for some reason it stays at 3% fragmented and even if I run defrag it doesnt change, but what bothers me most is the following. I got a line that says

\\volume{1a0be... : its 28% fragmented, says it needs optimization, but when I click on the button it just flickers and nothing appears.. any idea why?

Thanks

Nehmia
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
because the Windows Built in Defragmenter is the worst defragmenter on earth! simple as that

it doesn't do anything and doesn't actually defragment anything

After I defragment with Windows Disk Defrag and it says its complete, then I run some other utility like PerfectDisk or O&O Disk Defrag, both of them start to really defragment and take a long time

psychosocial81
01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Ok thanks

Darnassus
01-04-2014, 07:39 AM
DO NOT DEFRAG A SOLID STATE DRIVE!!! That is the most important thing to know!

Nehmia
01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
DO NOT DEFRAG A SOLID STATE DRIVE!!! That is the most important thing to know!

The Windows 8 Defragmenter DOES NOT defrag an SSD, all it does is send TRIM commands to it. Google it, it's not your usual defrag.

With that being said, I still say the Windows Defrag is the worst defragmenter out there

Darnassus
01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Yes I know, but I was speaking general, some people have pet peeves that their SSD doesn't get defragged when they're not meant to in the first place, so they download a defragging program to do it on demand.

I just wanted to make it absolutely clear to NEVER DEFRAG AN SSD!! ;d

Myk SilentShadow
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone,

Wanted to optimize my drive by performing disk defrag, was wondering why there is quite a few in the list that appears,

I have :

OS : for some reason it stays at 3% fragmented and even if I run defrag it doesnt change, but what bothers me most is the following. I got a line that says

\\volume{1a0be... : its 28% fragmented, says it needs optimization, but when I click on the button it just flickers and nothing appears.. any idea why?

Thanks

Usually WIndows Experience Index sets up the Auto Optimizations for you, when you run it.

hmscott
01-04-2014, 01:50 PM
After the trial, I purchased Perfect Disk Pro:
http://www.raxco.com/home/products/perfectdisk-pro

http://download.raxco.com/perfectdisk-pro?utm_campaign=PPC-GOOGLE-SITELINKS&utm_content=LP&utm_source=PPC-Google&utm_term=perfect%20disk&gclid=CPqJwqTV5LsCFStBQgodblMAhA

Chris Y
01-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Question while we are on this!

Does an SSD get fragmented?. Because i know i cant defrag it, or is there another thing to do,as to say,to do what a defrag would do
to a non SDD.
Excuse my inexperience. Thank you