PDA

View Full Version : Optical Drive is Gone

brian1121
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
About 20 minutes ago, my G74SX-3DE tells me that it detected that a CD had been inserted. I thought that was odd, so I pressed the eject button, but nothing happened.

On the My Computer page, I right clicked on the drive and chose Eject, but it gave me a weird error, so I rebooted.

Since then the drive is gone. I tried the stuff listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us but that didn't change anything.

The device manager doesn't show the optical drive, nor does it find it when it scans for new hardware. I just did a system restore to yesterday before MS sneaked a critical update, but the drive is still gone.

Any guidance?

Thanks!

grungeboy2
09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
check in power4gear. by default office and battery saving modes disable the camera and the disk drive. they call it ODD (optical disk drive).

brian1121
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
In those settings, the drive was still missing. I called in to tech support. They had me power off, remove the battery, then hold the power button for about a minute, then reinsert the battery, plug it in and boot to the bios. In the bios, we loaded the defaults and checked to make sure they showed the drive. After that, I rebooted and the drive was back and functioning.

Hopefully this tale can help someone else.

Matt Horvath
09-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I had a similar issue with my G73SW-A1 a couple days ago... I don't recall which power setting was on, but I tried to install a game and then the drive would not respond, so I looked on My Computer and it was gone. I freaked out because I bought this machine some 15 days ago and we don't have Asus support here in Brazil for computers bought in the US. I managed to manually activate the drive via device manager, but after a few reboots it started to appear normally on My Computer. All I did before was a slight VGA overclock, but everything seems normal so far.

Matt Horvath
09-16-2011, 12:16 AM
heh, it turns out that I had disabled it on power4gear's program, now everything's ok.

brian1121
02-02-2012, 05:59 AM
This just happened to me again. The same solution as I listed before solved it. I am not sure how you other guys manage to just lose yours from a software setting. I think mine is a legit bug in Windows.

BrodyBoy
02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
This just happened to me again. The same solution as I listed before solved it. I am not sure how you other guys manage to just lose yours from a software setting. I think mine is a legit bug in Windows.
Power4Gear is a rather aggressive program, in that it has default "stealth" settings that do things like that. I.e., an owner may have never indicated he wanted this or that turned off to save power, and there was no obvious indication that it would happen. So it's not so much that the owners "managed to lose" their ODD from a software setting, but that P4G shut it down without their knowledge or explicit consent.

It doesn't really make sense that only you would have a bug in Windows that does this, since most of us are presumably using the same edition you are, and the issue is rare. From your solution description, it seems that your ODD had become locked in the BIOS....suggesting that something is happening with your BIOS. It's good to have a way to resolve it when it occurs, but it'd be nice to know what's causing it. Did Asus tech support offer any insights?

ford82
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
If ive known/seen this yesterday maybe I wouldnt RMAd it today :(

But Brian, has the drive been turning off again after youve brought it back to life?

Hopefully will the RMA guys sort it out with something that resolves the problem.

Ive also had some popping sounds from the speaker and the keyboarderror....