PDA

View Full Version : How I fixed my G73 overheating problems in 2 minutes and without spending any money.

Decessus
09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Guys, I don't know the rules of this forums, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any. Just let me know and I'll edit or delete the thread if necessary.

I'll just paste the exactly same text that I used in another forum:

If you have any questions about what I did, feel free to ask. Any more in-depth information would be better answered by the experts such as Chastity.

(Sorry for my english both in the video and the description, it isn't my native language)
(Also, I don't claim to be a big genius with this video, in fact I might be creating a "master of the obvious" thread here, but it took me a while to figure it out, so I figured this thread might help someone. I just want to show you what helped me A LOT, and I hope it also helps you.)

So I've had my G73 for ~1year and about 3 months ago it started overheating a lot. My idle temperatures were ~75C. Gaming temperatures were ~100-110, causing my speakers to go crazy. Sometimes the system would shutdown because of it. Furmark was a guaranteed shutdown. The system would also run pretty slow.

After some research, mainly in this forum, what I commonly found was that I should do a repaste. I have assembled and disassembled hundreds of desktop computers in my life, but never a notebook. I was pretty scared to do so and kept postponing it. Also, ICD7 is impossible to find where I live.

I also found out that updating my BIOS and VBIOS could make a difference. I updated them both but it didn't help.

One random day I found someone saying something about blowing air with your mouth inside the fans, but people said this was bad because the humidity from your breath could cause dust clogs. Some people suggested canned compressed air. Since I couldn't found that to sell over here either, I decided to try something, and it worked. What I did is what's in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvGMZQDE3w

After cleaning the dust off, my temperatures went to 47-51C idle and 74C when running furmark for 60 minutes.

Some people recommended sticking something inside the vent to hold the fan still, but I didn't think of a safe way to do that. Also, if you just bought a brand new G73 and it already has overheating problems, you'll probably need to do a repaste, since it's probably not dirty and some ASUS notebooks really have a problem with how ASUS applied their thermal compound.

Good luck :)

And I'm not trying to spam this same video on many different forums, I was just really happy to fix my issues and I want more people to be able to do the same.

xeromist
09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
That's a decent alternative for people that don't have any canned air sitting around. Very creative. I would just add that if you have a temperature setting for your hair dryer, use the cool setting. :)

grungeboy2
09-15-2011, 05:11 AM
at first i was like "the heat might mess it up" but then i realized it's a asus g-series. it probably gets hotter just from being on.

Hambone07si
09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm sure that wasn't the affect from blowing the dust out. After I updated my vBios and Bios it didn't change the temps either until another restart. Blowing out the dust would not change the temps 30c+, unless you had some serious dust inside. You are now seeing the Full Fan speed at 76c from the updated bios I'm sure. My temps were the same as your before updating. Now after updating vBios and Bios, I have the same temps as your results. If you think that it was just from the dust inside, reflash your bios down to 206 and I'll bet your temps go right back to hitting 100c+.

xeromist
09-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Does it matter? The combination of the two lowered his temps. You're not trying to imply that cleaning the dust was a bad idea, right?

Decessus
09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
That's a decent alternative for people that don't have any canned air sitting around. Very creative. I would just add that if you have a temperature setting for your hair dryer, use the cool setting. :)

I def. had the cool setting on :D

at first i was like "the heat might mess it up" but then i realized it's a asus g-series. it probably gets hotter just from being on.

Probably does. I doubt the temperature of air you are supposed to blow on yourself is hotter than 50-70C, specially after it has left the heating source for "so long" as it happens with hair dryers. It would burn people :P Your hair dryer would need to be seriously hardcore to blow 100C+ air hehehe ^^

I'm sure that wasn't the affect from blowing the dust out. After I updated my vBios and Bios it didn't change the temps either until another restart. Blowing out the dust would not change the temps 30c+, unless you had some serious dust inside. You are now seeing the Full Fan speed at 76c from the updated bios I'm sure. My temps were the same as your before updating. Now after updating vBios and Bios, I have the same temps as your results. If you think that it was just from the dust inside, reflash your bios down to 206 and I'll bet your temps go right back to hitting 100c+.

Well, I had my Bios and vBios updated about 3 weeks ago. Many restarts and shutdowns happened between the update and the dust cleaning. Some of them were "full shutdowns" (meaning it had no energy - battery was out).

You have to understand that my fan was always freaking on! It would start running max speed less than a minute after I turned my G73 on. I would get crazy noise while gaming. Even louder than the worst noise I can get now after stressing the computer for a long time with furmark. Currently I can barely hear it 95% of the time I'm using my notebook.

It might have been something else that fixed my overheating issues, but it happening right after I saw a ton of dust coming out of my vents would be a gigantic coincidence :)

Cheers!

Hambone07si
09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Not at all. I build pc's for people and that the number one thing I tell them. KEEP IT CLEAN. Just doesn't help others when they all try just cleaning the unit and nothing changes, and then possibly the use a air compressor because maybe they didn't think they got all the dust out and then the damage the unit. Canned air is good. I've had people use an air compressor before and damaged their pc. I'm sure it was a affect of the new bios. I followed Chastity's overheating thread and it worked perfect. I did not blow out my G73 and my temps fell exactly the same as his did. My gpu used to run 100c+ now in Furmark it will not exceed 77-78c and it's because the fan is running faster now and exhausting the heat.

I always like to pass good info. When someone show something that may have worked, but isn't sure because they did many things at once to fix 1 problem. I just like to point out what was the one that really helped. Wasn't bashing at all, just stating. Sorry. I'm in here asking for help as well. Just helps more when we have good facts and not maybes. I've tried a bunch of maybe's lately and they aren't helping me :)

You must of had a pretty dirty G73 LOL. I've had mine over a year and it blew just a little bit of dirt out.

xeromist
09-16-2011, 05:50 PM
You must of had a pretty dirty G73 LOL. I've had mine over a year and it blew just a little bit of dirt out.

Maybe he's a coal miner :D

korre
09-16-2011, 09:18 PM
haha, coal miner :D

Hambone07si
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe he's a coal miner :D

LMAO!!