PDA

View Full Version : G750JX. How does it cool? Where does the air come from?

Darnassus
01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Where does the air come from to blow outside of the fans? I see there's some grills underneath the unit, but people are saying it sucks through the keyboard? Which is true?

Can I get a detailed explanation please?

hmscott
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Where does the air come from to blow outside of the fans? I see there's some grills underneath the unit, but people are saying it sucks through the keyboard? Which is true?

Can I get a detailed explanation please?

This is the only official diagram/image and text I have seen...

INTELLIGENT AND POWERFUL COOLING

The G750 benefits from a legacy of ROG G Series thermal innovation, featuring dual rear-venting fans that quickly remove heat from core components and further drives the heat out from the back of the notebook. This unique thermal design not only helps to lower system temperatures, but also keeps hot air away from the user and reduces ambient noise for prolonged gaming.

Darnassus
01-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I can see it has two fans on the back (I'm an official owner) but I still cannot figure out exactly where the air intake is. The picture obviously suggests it goes from underneath then out the back.. but.. someone said keyboard? x'{

hmscott
01-05-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info so far. I can see it has two fans on the back (I'm an official owner) but I still cannot figure out exactly where the air intake is. The picture obviously suggests it goes from underneath then out the back.. but.. someone said keyboard? x'{

That is the rumor, under the screen above the keyboard, which is why you can set it down on the bed and have it not burn up.

I see the image showing the blue air path coming over the top of the laptop, not from underneath :)

You can ask Asus, through a Technical Inquiry, register here and post the question, let us know what they say...
http://vip.asus.com

Darnassus
01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Well, looking at this thread,

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40924-DIY-keyboard-backlight-color-mod-partial-disassembly-pics.&country=&status=

I found this

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30593&d=1386347885&thumb=1

So I guess it must be underneath mostly..

hmscott
01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
...So I guess..

Darnassus, you are still guessing :)

Using a flashlight, with your nose even with the end of the keyboard, look under the screen where the hinges attach...you will see the vents. It is too narrow to photograph with the equipment I have, if you can, please post a shot.

Darnassus
01-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Darnassus, you are still guessing :)

Using a flashlight, with your nose even with the end of the keyboard, look under the screen where the hinges attach...you will see the vents. It is too narrow to photograph with the equipment I have, if you can, please post a shot.

Be nice.. :c

I will look.. and try take pictor.. >;c

Edit: Inconclusive, they look like the speaker-holes.. at least to my knowledge so far. Unless they're connected to the screen and the ones at the very back are actually vent holes..

.. quite low profile. :3

Darnassus
01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
... how do you clean this thing for dust? ':f

hmscott
01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Be nice.. :c

I will look.. and try take pictor.. >;c

Edit: Inconclusive, they look like the speaker-holes.. at least to my knowledge so far. Unless they're connected to the screen and the ones at the very back are actually vent holes..

.. quite low profile. :3

You could run the GPU/CPU to 100%, get the fans really going fast, and then use a smoke generator to find the air intakes.

Here is a nice computer case example, good for ideas on how to do it so we can see all the paths the smoke takes from input to exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug

Or, register your laptop and ask Asus? :)

Zygomorphic
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
@hmscott is right. The fan vents are in the hinge assembly, on the top side of the notebook. The giant grille work covers both the speakers (in some places), and the vents in others.

Darnassus
01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
@hmscott is right. The fan vents are in the hinge assembly, on the top side of the notebook. The giant grille work covers both the speakers (in some places), and the vents in others.

Interesting, then what does the bottom do? Does the bottom and under the screen hinge BOTH lead to the fans?

Zygomorphic
01-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Interesting, then what does the bottom do? Does the bottom and under the screen hinge BOTH lead to the fans?
Most likely yes. If the grille work on the G750 is open on the top in the screen hinge area, then yes. Unfortunately, I don't own a G750, so I was basing my comments off my experience with my G53SX, and what other people in this thread have said.

Thestroj
01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Just my 2 cents...

Im a smoker, and this thread made me itch :D

I was playing with the smoke from cigarettes and i found out that it pulls smoke from below the laptop (grills on the bottom right side of laptop). If i play games on my couch, i can actualy feel the cold air going in to the grills at the bottom...

+ i think it would not be very effective to have the cold air intakes under the hindges. The air should be pulled in at one part of the laptop and thrown out at another IMO, to achive best possible cooling...

Could not see any smoke going anywhere at the top of the laptop (near the hindges)...

Darnassus
01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Just my 2 cents...

I was playing with the smoke from cigarettes and i found out that it pulls smoke from below the laptop (grills on the bottom right side of laptop). If i play games on your couch, i can actualy feel the cold air going in to the grills at the bottom...

+ i think it would not be very effective to have the cold air intakes under the hindges. The air should be pulled in at one part of the laptop and thrown out at another IMO, to achive best possible cooling...

Could not see any smoke going anywhere at the top of the laptop (near the hindges)...

I wanted to do this but I was scared of some residue or smoke particles getting caught. Also this would explain why the motherboard gets hotter than the CPU or GPU.

Looking at the fans, they're centrifugal, and if the air comes from under the screen directly into the fan to be blown out the end.. then that is focused on those two chips only.

It's nice to know that air still comes through those bottom vents, I had begun to think I could actually sit this on my lap without caring for heating.. I'll remain to provide a clean and plentiful intake at the bottom. Thanks for that part, Thestroj.

Zygomorphic
01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Interesting. On the G53SX, the entire bottom is closed, except for a grille at the other end of the notebook, and even there, it isn't much. The pattern of dust setting on the speaker grille work under the hinges leads me to believe that it is the air intake on the G53SX. Thanks for the clarification! :)

hmscott
01-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Just my 2 cents...

I was playing with the smoke from cigarettes and i found out that it pulls smoke from below the laptop (grills on the bottom right side of laptop). If i play games on my couch, i can actualy feel the cold air going in to the grills at the bottom...

Awesome Thestroj :)

Thanks for putting it to the test. Glad to hear the flow through is from front to back and not just limited to feeding the fans to cool the piping.

Darnassus
01-11-2014, 07:36 PM
It's still weird the motherboard is the hottest in the unit. Where's the probe I wonder, near the CPU is my wild guess.. because they're usually on par.