PDA

View Full Version : G74S MKV Issue - What am I doing wrong? What did you do right?

demod8698
09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I purchased an ASUS G74SX and I'm having issues with the playback of MKV files. I've tried pretty much everything and I'm unable to narrow down what exactly the issue is, all I know is slight stuttering occurs every couple of seconds on 720p files and video playback is capable with audio completely out of sync on 1080p files.

First I tried K-Lite Codec pack, saw the issue and uninstalled it and removed the drivers.

I then tried MPC-HC x64 & x32, saw the issue and uninstalled it and removed the drivers.

I then tried CoreAVC with MPC, same thing. Uninstalled and removed the drivers.

Someone on another forum suggested I install a 32 bit version of Windows 7 as they were able to get smooth playback on all media (720 & 1080), I installed it on my 2nd HD and same thing. Uninstalled and removed it from the 2nd HD.

The only player I've used that doesn't have the issue as often (on 720p files, 1080p is still unplayable) is J River Media Center, but it's still there every once in a while.

What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll post screen grabs of specs, just let me know what you're looking for.

It's a terrible feeling to have such a powerful machine and not be able to play these files!

Thanks!

Chastity@ASUS
09-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Try updating your nvidia drivers 285.27 beta, and update your Flash player. There is video DRM that runs in the background and old Flash players can fubar your video playback. I use MPC-HC with MKV files all the time with no issue.

Pyro411
09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Demod, first I would HIGHLY suggest getting rid of K-Lite as it loads way to many things, what I found worked best for me was loading the cccp codec pack from www.cccp-project.net, once loaded this will install it's own MPC-HC with the codec pack supplied by MPC, for the most part it works great for me out of the box on my G73Jh but if you run into problems they have a wonderful set of documents with common issues and how to fix them.

iraqiboy90
09-18-2011, 02:24 AM
K-lite is fine, always used it, and no problems...
At MPC-HC preferences, go to output and change from EVR to VMR-9, chose 3D surfaces, and update your directX.

EVR uses your GPU, so changing it would make it less laggy

korre
09-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I use a player called KMplayer, it has all codecs needed, never had to update anything else but KMplayer IF (which I never had) a problem with videos

JRd1st
09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I use a player called KMplayer, it has all codecs needed, never had to update anything else but KMplayer IF (which I never had) a problem with videos

I just made KMPlayer THE player on my G74SX. Thanks for the tip! ;)

Boosted_R
09-18-2011, 10:59 PM
That's strange, I haven't needed to download any other player..... Cineplayer that came with the G74 works really good for MKV, no extra codecs or anything, using driver 285.27 but the driver before this one worked fine also. GL

JRd1st
09-18-2011, 11:43 PM
That's strange, I haven't needed to download any other player..... Cineplayer that came with the G74 works really good for MKV, no extra codecs or anything, using driver 285.27 but the driver before this one worked fine also. GL
Nothing strange about it. I formatted and reinstalled a clean copy of Win7 and neglected to install cineplayer because I watch movies in my livingroom on my television and have no need for a player with a big footprint. KMPlayer suits my needs perfectly and the installer is only about 15Mb.

Mystery solved. :D

grungeboy2
09-19-2011, 12:29 AM
you make it sound as if these are the old days and we're rocking 500MB hard drives. :lol:

JRd1st
09-19-2011, 01:31 AM
you make it sound as if these are the old days and we're rocking 500MB hard drives. :lol:

I don't mind a big footprint when it's something I use, like Photoshop CS5, but for a mediaplayer that I rarely use? No thanks, keep the bloat.

Old habits die hard, I guess. But I like a lean system partition, I make Acronis backups often, my system stays snappy and I never have to do the "format and install" routine. :D

GottiBoi55
12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I like the "VLC media player", has built in codecs
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
The VLC player will play any media file, even broken ones.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
I have no problem playing "MKV" files with the Cineplayer.
hope this helps.;)

GottiBoi

ASUS G74Sx-XT1

AnnieJunne
03-09-2018, 09:54 AM
There are two ways to help you.
You can download another media converter, which can support MKV files on Asus devices.
Or you can use some video converter to convert MKV to other Asus compatible formats, like MP4 to see whether your problem has solved.
As for the video converter, the most professional converter, called iTunes Media Converter (https://www.drmare.com), which only works on DRM M4V files. So in this part, I can't help you and you can find a good one on Google.

Pyro411
03-09-2018, 01:45 PM
There are two ways to help you.
You can download another media converter, which can support MKV files on Asus devices.
Or you can use some video converter to convert MKV to other Asus compatible formats, like MP4 to see whether your problem has solved.
As for the video converter, the most professional converter, called iTunes Media Converter (https://www.drmare.com), which only works on DRM M4V files. So in this part, I can't help you and you can find a good one on Google.

Holy thread necromancy batman! AnnieJunne :) you may want to check some dates, the last reply here was a bit over 6 years ago.