PDA

View Full Version : Games sometimes freeze, especially when attacking or dead

Chris Altig
01-08-2014, 03:34 AM
Hello, I am extremely pleased with my ASUS RoG G750JH. My only issue though is, in some games (Garry's Mode TTT mode chief among them, along with CS:GO) Will freeze and do a sound loop for about 3-5 seconds at a time. This kind of lag happens mostly when I am attacking someone, or someone is dying near me. Has anyone had a similar issue with a solution? I can most definitely provide more information if it is needed.

I have the latest nVidia Drivers installed, and I keep everything on my computer up to date.

khmergod
01-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Might be sound drivers.

Chris Altig
01-09-2014, 12:10 AM
The -entire- game freezes, it's not just a sound issue, the sound issue arises from the game freezing.

chokko
01-09-2014, 12:32 AM
games installed on the stock 5400rpm drive?

Chris Altig
01-09-2014, 05:08 AM
The C drive on the SSDs

MrAwesome
03-02-2014, 05:05 AM
I am having the exact same issue. I have only played CS GO on the laptop 3 times since I got it and this issue has happened 2 out of those 3 times. Any ideas? Could it be due to the video card overheating? There doesn't seem to be to much heat coming out of the laptop.

It simply just freezes, checked task manager and the game is non-responsive so I just kill the task.

UltimateKyo
03-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Are you sure you updated all the drivers released by Asus? To prevent such things happening, try to update drivers only with Asus released Driver

y0da67
03-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Had the same problem.
Here is your fix, use google translate.

http://www.republic-of-gamers.fr/Forum/showthread.php/10430-Probl%C3%A8me-performance-PC-portable?p=182944&viewfull=1#post182944

Chris Altig
06-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Had the same problem.
Here is your fix, use google translate.

http://www.republic-of-gamers.fr/Forum/showthread.php/10430-Probl%C3%A8me-performance-PC-portable?p=182944&viewfull=1#post182944

I did this, however the issue still persists. I do not understand, I even sent the laptop to ASUS for repairs, they didn't fix the problem. I have used restore points, used the RAM diagnostic tool, lowering my graphics, and the like. None of this has helped.

Edit: I also reinstalled my sound drivers, but to no avail.

hmscott
06-07-2014, 01:08 AM
I did this, however the issue still persists. I do not understand, I even sent the laptop to ASUS for repairs, they didn't fix the problem. I have used restore points, used the RAM diagnostic tool, lowering my graphics, and the like. None of this has helped.
Edit: I also reinstalled my sound drivers, but to no avail.

Chris, that kind of a failure, as described in your first post sounds like an application crash, or a Nvidia driver crash. Does the system recover, but the graphics run slowly and you need to reboot to get the FPS back up? That would be an Nvidia Driver crash. If the app crashed, but not the Nvidia driver then when you exit the crashed app the FPS would still run normal, which is it?

If the Nvidia driver is crashing, no matter which version Nvidia driver you load, that sounds like a Graphics card hardware problem. Otherwise it might be a game / game settings problem.

You can force a Nvidia driver crash using benchmark/stress software to verify the Graphics card problem in a reproducible way - that is important when trying to get Asus to replace the graphics card.

If you sent the laptop in with a gaming problem as you describe, Asus might not have replaced the graphics card, and if that is the problem, that is why their repairs didn't fix the problem.

Try these two benchmark apps, and run them to see if you get a repeatable Nvidia Driver crash.

Unigine Heaven Benchmark
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Furmark - Burn-in Benchmark 1920x1080 15min
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Let us know if you were able to run these benchmarks without the Nvidia driver crashing. If so we can try to debug the game / game settings to see why it is crashing.

Chris Altig
06-12-2014, 08:45 PM
They did replace my GPU according to the letter they sent back to me. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the Advanced Power Management on my hard drive. I've been using Crystal Disk Manager to disable it, and that seems to have fixed the problem. However, the APM re-enables after a system restart. Is there a more permanent solution to disabling APM?

hmscott
06-13-2014, 12:29 AM
They did replace my GPU according to the letter they sent back to me. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the Advanced Power Management on my hard drive. I've been using Crystal Disk Manager to disable it, and that seems to have fixed the problem. However, the APM re-enables after a system restart. Is there a more permanent solution to disabling APM?

Chris, yeah, it's weird the quiethdd guys didn't just implement a startup option, but they didn't and I have seen complaints that you can't just set up quiethdd as a Startup app, doesn't work, but you could try that.

I found this link, where a guy has put together zip files with quiethdd, default quiethdd.ini, and windows services config for quiethdd, but I haven't tried it. You could try it for us, and let us know how it works.

Read the instructions here, unfortunately buried in a long pre-text and post-text explanation.
http://xenomorph.net/misc/clicking-hard-drives/
http://xenomorph.net/data/hdd_click/

Maybe you could write up a short step by step, without his story, and upload the zip files, or redo the zip files, and upload those small zip files to your forum post - so they don't disappear when his site finally goes away.

Make sure and put in attributions to quiethdd and his site, for credit.

Glad quiethdd fixed the glitch/freeze problem you were seeing, you do know an SSD will completely solve that lag problem that HD's have, turning off the APM does expose the disk to flying head failures - you are essentially disabling parking... read his long description. It might be a good thing to only run quiethdd and disable APM when you are gaming...

Have fun!