PDA

View Full Version : Installing an SSD in my G73SW

DPalmer5059
09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Im deploying to baghdad for 6 months in October leaving my desktop behind which has a OCZ Vertex 3 120gb Max IOPS SSD which I love btw. Can I install it into my G73SW and use it at its full potential? Also Ive looked on youtube and multiple forums with no luck in finding a guide of how to install an SSD in a laptop which ive never done before. Hopefully you guys will have the answers im looking for.. Thanks again.

xeromist
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Your G73 only has SATA II so it won't be quite the same but it will still be very snappy.

DPalmer5059
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
do u think its worth installing if its just gonna be collecting dust for 6 motnhs while im away. Will it be a noticable increase?

Hambone07si
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Should be way faster and will also give you some extra battery life as well. I'm trying to install my Crucial C300 SataIII ssd in my G73jh and am having no luck at the moment. Hope your install goes a little easier than mine. I would say install it for sure. My desktop is down at the moment for the next couple months and I'm doing the same as you, not letting it collect dust. Seems that I messed it up when Asus said it was ok to install windows from the "Restore disks". Ever since that, I can't install to that drive anymore. Not even with my Win 7 disk. DON'T USE YOUR RESTORE DISKS!!! Download a ISO image of the version of windows that came on your g73 and you can use the code that is on the bottom of your g73. Good luck.

DPalmer5059
09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info, did you find a guide anywhere or have you installed one on a laptop before. I dont like going in blind when installing hardware ive never have before especially since i have to crack open my laptop.
Should be way faster and will also give you some extra battery life as well. I'm trying to install my Crucial C300 SataIII ssd in my G73jh and am having no luck at the moment. Hope your install goes a little easier than mine. I would say install it for sure. My desktop is down at the moment for the next couple months and I'm doing the same as you, not letting it collect dust. Seems that I messed it up when Asus said it was ok to install windows from the "Restore disks". Ever since that, I can't install to that drive anymore. Not even with my Win 7 disk. DON'T USE YOUR RESTORE DISKS!!! Download a ISO image of the version of windows that came on your g73 and you can use the code that is on the bottom of your g73. Good luck.

Hambone07si
09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
It is very simple. Just flip over the laptop with the battery out of it. There is 2 small screws that hold on the backplate. Take those out and pull up on the backplate being careful as there are little tabs that kinda clip it in. Once it's off you will see your hard drive there. 2 screws and it's out. 4 screws and it's out of the cage. put your ssd in and screw back together. Install windows from a real disk and you should be good.