PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8? Or Windows 8.1?

Darnassus
01-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Title says it all, Windows 8? Or Windows 8.1?

I've heard there's some mean changes and some things that make the operating system even more difficult to work with and be compatible with programs.. though it's all inconclusive.

Andyponken
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
I updated to 8.1 as soon as i could with my G750jx and i've never had any issues. Did the upgrade mostly cus i want to start from the desktop not Microsofts retarded "app screen" =)

Aram_yossarian
01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I've updated my G750JH to windows 8.1, perfectly happy. No driver problems to speak of, though i am running a none ROG skinned Audio. On the whole few minor improvements for me only thing for me is the touchpad downswipe now brings up a "customize" ribbon not "all apps"

kingkaan
01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
just uupgraded to 8.1 yesterday everything seems fine..much better than win 8

Kantm
01-08-2014, 04:26 PM
So far im good, been up for couple months, I love the start up straight to desktop, and Start button is back, thou not the same, i can turn off my laptop easier from there.

The only downside is when I got a new ssd, gotta install windows 8 then all the updates and 8.1 since our OEM Product key is for Windows 8 and it wont work w win 8.1 installation...

getjohnalive
01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
I've updated my G750JH to windows 8.1, perfectly happy. No driver problems to speak of, though i am running a none ROG skinned Audio. On the whole few minor improvements for me only thing for me is the touchpad downswipe now brings up a "customize" ribbon not "all apps"

hey, the latest Realtek Audio Driver comes with asus Rog Skinned Audio Wizard app. its works well on my G750JX with Clean installed Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 8.1 pro

hmscott
01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
hey, the latest Realtek Audio Driver comes with asus Rog Skinned Audio Wizard app. its works well on my G750JX with Clean installed Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 8.1 pro

8.1 with the newest drives works great. I don't think there is a reason to stay on Windows 8, but I just did a Backtracker restore, so I am on 8 now...

Darnassus
01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
I guess I'll try upgrading. Hopefully if anything goes wrong I can fix it all on my end.

Aram_yossarian
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Thasnk for the tip I'll look into this when i get home, something nice to look forward to for the start of my weekend :)

Darnassus
01-10-2014, 02:30 PM
I've just updated. Didn't notice I was off-battery lol for the past 3 hours which is actually cool. Anyhow, I hate the "window button" but I fixed that and made it exactly what I wanted with ClassicShell, now I have my trusty Win7 Task Bar for which I use with everything and searching. So I'm pretty happy now.

So far so good.

No idea why Micro$oft wanted Win8.1 to have two ways to get to the metro, AND switch-screen...

Aram_yossarian
01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Glad its gone ok for you and all on battery, i like the idea. A kind of extreme peril battery test :)

I know a lot of people that love the ClassicShell feel nice to hear more good feedback.

Personally i like my Metro "superstart" menu and 8.1 adding the ability to keep the same background is strangely a big psychological thing for me, makes it all feel more like one OS again. As someone pointed out somewhere right clicking the default button brings up some useful options too. Never left click it though, my keyboard has a button made for the task.

Darnassus
01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Glad its gone ok for you and all on battery, i like the idea. A kind of extreme peril battery test :)

I know a lot of people that love the ClassicShell feel nice to hear more good feedback.

Personally i like my Metro "superstart" menu and 8.1 adding the ability to keep the same background is strangely a big psychological thing for me, makes it all feel more like one OS again. As someone pointed out somewhere right clicking the default button brings up some useful options too. Never left click it though, my keyboard has a button made for the task.

Thanks for the kind words :3

brandontaz2k2
01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
8.1 for sure as long as ASUS supports it with drivers. Why would you want anything less is puzzling.

Darnassus
01-12-2014, 06:45 AM
8.1 for sure as long as ASUS supports it with drivers. Why would you want anything less is puzzling.

As far as I've experienced, 8.1 was much more puzzling until I used a program to mod it back to KIND OF Win 7/8. ;d

brandontaz2k2
01-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Win 8.1 is easier than 7 in my opinion. Press Windows key, type for the app you want and when it comes up press enter and it is launched.
Press Windows key to go to desktop. Right click the start button on desktop for all the things you would normally need as well.

cl-Albert
01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
For anyone that's interested you can also have Win8.1 boot directly to the desktop by going under the desktop taskbar properties/navigation and checking the box under the Start screen section for 'When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start' which isn't available in Win8.