PDA

View Full Version : Recently reformatted g73sw-a1 but after all updates it's laggier/choppier than before

Python49
09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
I recently reformatted my asus g73sw-a1 for the first time using the allocated partition that came with the computer. I then used the asus update and microsoft automatic update to get everything updated but now the computer seems to run very choppy and slow in general. I don't see how i'd have a virus or malware since I installed my premium avira antivirus first when reformatting. When I say choppy I mean that firefox and other programs are noticeably laggy, not ultra choppy but still pretty bad. Any ideas?

grungeboy2
09-16-2011, 03:49 AM
sounds like a driver issue.

head over to google and type in asus. when it pulls up, click on the support section. they'll have some menus for you to select telling them what laptop you have and what OS (probably win7 64-bit). after that it will show you drivers for your computer. you might also have this on disc (would've came with your laptop).

Python49
09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
oh, well maybe its that then, i didnt install the drivers from the cd that came with thte laptop since i thought the asus live update thing would do it for me, ill try installing that and see how it goes

Python49
09-16-2011, 03:51 PM
nope, nevermind, i put the disk in to run it and it basically says that I already have all those drivers installed...

xeromist
09-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Take a look at these two threads on throttling:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it

Also look at the process list (ctrl+alt+del) to see if anything is using the cpu.

Python49
09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
i can try this out but was a bit hesitant since I was wondering, why would I need to run something like this all of a sudden if I never had the problem before when first buying the laptop? How come after a clean reformat it all of a sudden becomes necessary?

Python49
09-17-2011, 06:52 PM
If it's relevant at all, when I run furmark at the 1280x720 resolution (assuming im doing it right) it shows just 5FPS and my computer temperature is shown to rise up to 80 degrees celcius. Also recently my power supply burned out and stopped working so I had to buy one from wal-mart to use temporarily, is this all probably related to my problem? If so, what's the solution? I wouldn't want throttle stop to force things to work if it's going to cause more damage

Python49
09-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok, i ran throttle stop and yeah, my results usingi furmark were a lot higher, went from the 2-3 FPS to 20 FPS, is that where it should be? But also, I still am worried about why this is even necessary since if the computer was throttling up due to hardware issues, I don't want to stop that function and cause more damage

Python49
09-17-2011, 10:55 PM
lol, i am posting right now about 6 hours later from a walmart from laptop. not too long after running the full throttle program my laptop just outright died. its still plugged into the power adapter but its receiving no power and is dead. not sure if it has anything to do with the post I had made prior about my concerns over disabling the throttle since it may be a sign of a hardware issue, but anyhow, its dead. so bizarre, no hardware problems before the reformat and now all of a sudden I'm left with a dead hard drive it looks like and choppy/laggy issues before that. jesus.

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Coming in a little late, but if you haven't RMA'd it yet, try removing the battery and running on AC only. If it doesn't start up, then RMA it.

grungeboy2
09-18-2011, 10:41 PM
i don't think walmart sells a power adapter that feeds the needs of a g-series.

the g51 uses a 125w and i think the newer ones use 150w. i think the walmart ones top out at 90w.