PDA

View Full Version : volume keys not working with win 7

biancanm
01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
hi guys, be easy on me, its my first day with asus, just switched from dell, im experiencing this problem with the volume keys...actually none of my fn+f keys work..also, there's a speaker on the bottom of the lappy which doesnt work (or i dont hear it maybe). but the thing is im using win7 on my machine, not win8 or 8.1. should i try and dload the AKT package of win8?
oh, and differently from other users who had this problem combined with the non working glow of the keys, my keys glow fine and bright.
also another stupid thing...it wont let me move my icons on the desktop anyhwere but in straight line (for example i can't organize the desktop screen somehow like in the leftside some shortcuts, and in the right side some of my work folders or whatever. did i do something wrong or its just how my lappy works and i have to adjust to it?
thanks in advance...man, its awful to be a noob :(

Nehmia
01-11-2014, 03:28 PM
it would help if you tell us the model of your laptop for god's sake!!!

Lil Godwin
01-11-2014, 03:38 PM
While I'm brand new to the boards, and this laptop, I've just purchased the G750JW and read mostly all of the first 22 pages to the "G750" section after doing my own windows 7 install on an SSD. Even after all the supposedly proper drivers installed, which I haven't found any other issues yet really, I did have an issue such as yours, but instead of the volume, mine was brightness not working (FN features). I did a google search for "asus support atk driver windows 7" and clicked the first link (yes, the Asus support one with all the Chinese lettering. It brought me to the right driver and OS system. After removing the current ATK driver, I installed this one:

Version V1.0.0023

Description ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
File Size
11,74 (MBytes) 2012.11.19 update

From the Global download (I didn't want to download some file manager which seemed to be required by the first download option. HERE (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATK_package&os=30) is the link. First driver option. At least, it worked for me and my Windows 7 Ultimate on the G750JW (Best Buy version) with SSD installed. I hope this helps you out too, even though the issues are slightly different, should be the same corrective action. Good luck!

biancanm
01-11-2014, 03:40 PM
thought i did. its a g750jw

biancanm
01-11-2014, 03:43 PM
i'll try that home. im in the office now and on my way to the exit door....thanks, ill tell you if it worked

Lil Godwin
01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
I hope it works out. And as for your other issue, try right clicking the desktop and highlighting "View". Check to see if "Auto arrange icons" is highlighted. I think that might be what forces your icons into that order. If it's unchecked, you should be able to move them wherever you want. I used to do this too all the time. I might do the same with this new laptop if I get to cluttering up the desktop. Hope that helps.

Nehmia
01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I found the best ATK Package that works with Windows 7 is:

ATK Package 1.0.0027 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_8_VER100027.zip)

Anything after than that and there is the auto dimming bug where after a period of inactivity, your screen might go dim even though you have turned off dimming in the power options

biancanm
01-11-2014, 10:57 PM
ATK Package 1.0.0027 not working. more over, something funny happened after i tried it- it asked me to reboot, which was normal, and when it started, all keys blinked a lil and then turned off their glow forever. i uninstalled- asked me again to reboot, on shutdown the key blinked again. after uninstall the keys glow again. but no fn+f keys work. autoarrange was first thing to try for my other issue, didn't work first (maybe i was too nervous and didn't uncheck in the office cause now i found it checkced. I'm gonna start some more reading till you guys have other ideas. Im' quite lost.
None of the fn+ f keys work. btw love how the key structure is put. my arms and hands feel more relaxed this way... a very lil problem with the 7, 4 keys which i sometimes bump when i press enter or shift...but the rest is an amazing architecture. hope i can make it function in normal params with win 7.

biancanm
01-11-2014, 11:05 PM
oh and since you asked me about the order of my driver install and stuff, i used this for guiding: hope it helps others:
http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=155

biancanm
01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
guys, its finally working! with ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100022, anyone experiencing it and is new to asus, just go to asus page and look for akt for win 7. i got 21 results and struck luck with second or third try. thanks for all the help and sorry for the typos if any, im still new to this keyboard format.