PDA

View Full Version : New User - G750 as CAD Machine - bad idea

VW_StrWrs
01-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Hello, new forum member here.
I've been reading this forum for about two weeks trying to get a feel of how good this machine was for running a CAD Program. It has a nice processor and RAM upgrade flexibility. I will max it out eventually. So I bit the bullet yesterday and got the 8GB JW version at Best Buy. I runs the CAD Program fine. No problems whatsoever.

The only, "problem" is that it Runs Skyrim in Ultra High. There goes productivity. :rolleyes: ;) :D
I also got a Dell 530 series SSD that I may swap in today... maybe after playing Skyrim and maybe do some work of corse.

getjohnalive
01-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Hello, new forum member here.
I've been reading this forum for about two weeks trying to get a feel of how good this machine was for running a CAD Program. It has a nice processor and RAM upgrade flexibility. I will max it out eventually. So I bit the bullet yesterday and got the 8GB JW version at Best Buy. I runs the CAD Program fine. No problems whatsoever.

The only, "problem" is that it Runs Skyrim in Ultra High. There goes productivity. :rolleyes: ;) :D
I also got a Dell 530 series SSD that I may swap in today... maybe after playing Skyrim and maybe do some work of corse.

ok..man. since you're playing Skyrim in Ultra setting on you G750JW, then I think your G750JW has no problem.. why you say **the only problem is that it run Skyrim in Ultra High**?...I am running Battlefield 4 in ultra setting on my G750JX, so I think you're G750JW will handle latest Games and CAD software without any problem....

SHADO
01-12-2014, 04:44 PM
ok..man. since you're playing Skyrim in Ultra setting on you G750JW, then I think your G750JW has no problem.. why you say **the only problem is that it run Skyrim in Ultra High**?...

He was JOKING about it. He was saying that because it plays Skyrim so well, he finds himself playing games instead of getting his CAD work done.

kingfish
01-12-2014, 05:08 PM
i get my 3d cad done then, battle begins :)

VW_StrWrs
01-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Correct. It was meant as a joke. Even with 8gb of RAM, MasterCam is running great for a laptop.

Fun fact: the DVD drive has a BD cover. I tried playing a BD but it's still DVD

balundab
01-13-2014, 03:58 AM
i run solidworks, enroute 5, mastercam x10 and autodesk 2014 most of which i run 2 or 3 at the same time on the 750jw model from best buy that i have pimped out with 32gb ram and 2 840 pro ssd's in raid o. but the 765m handles it all no problem, as well as bf4 in ultra with 40-60 fps at all times. even modded and running geforce -shadowplay. so i can brag to my minnions at work how good i am at dieing in creative ways lol.

Aram_yossarian
01-13-2014, 02:13 PM
kind of nice to hear the 750 has no problem with CAD, i thought the AMD drivers were out in front for these kind of applications. Not that I have any engineering know how and will probably never need to to run these, but damn it its good to know i can *slams fist on table*... ahem sorry, now where are my meds?

cronik916
01-14-2014, 07:25 AM
well see i do design not data simulations which is what i think u mean or have heard about. thats another beast alltogether but with 8.1 and no i7 parked cores it should be able to do reasonably well crunching those kinds of massive data point simulations. but in reality a engineer would not use a laptop to do that kind of thing but rather a very beefy desktop rig.

Aram_yossarian
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Good to learn thanks cronik ;)

Zygomorphic
01-14-2014, 11:15 AM
well see i do design not data simulations which is what i think u mean or have heard about. thats another beast alltogether but with 8.1 and no i7 parked cores it should be able to do reasonably well crunching those kinds of massive data point simulations. but in reality a engineer would not use a laptop to do that kind of thing but rather a very beefy desktop rig.
I've done visualization of DEM datasets on my laptop a few times, and yes, these laptops are boss! Not bad, all things considered, and OP, I first thought that you were serious. Apparently, you were, in different way. :D Try not to get yourself fired, since then you can't afford to upgrade to a nicer machine when it comes out! :)

VW_StrWrs
01-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I put in a SSD and it was quite the adventure.

I didn't know how to open the back cover. When the screw wasn't going all the way out, I decided to yank it out and in return I broke off the small circlip and fell inside the latop. I was able to get it out.

SSD is in, and judging by the pictures, it seems that the RAM it has in is the hard to reach slots. So I lucked out.

Does anyone have two 4gb Samsung sticks for sale? OEM Or do you know if I can mix and match RAM? Example, 2x4gb+2x8gb sticks? I prefer to have everything the same. Brand, speed etc

PS, notice the RAM tray says 1.5v

hmscott
01-15-2014, 06:44 PM

I didn't know how to open the back cover. When the screw wasn't going all the way out, I decided to yank it out and in return I broke off the small circlip and fell inside the latop. I was able to get it out.

SSD is in, and judging by the pictures, it seems that the RAM it has in is the hard to reach slots. So I lucked out.

Does anyone have two 4gb Samsung sticks for sale? OEM Or do you know if I can mix and match RAM? Example, 2x4gb+2x8gb sticks? I prefer to have everything the same. Brand, speed etc

Nice catch on the 1.5v socket :)

The physical characteristics of the DDR3 and DDR3L memory are the same so the socket is interchangeable - but notice that the memory itself says PC3L, so it is the Low voltage DDR3L.

Nillaz
01-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Correct. It was meant as a joke. Even with 8gb of RAM, MasterCam is running great for a laptop.

Fun fact: the DVD drive has a BD cover. I tried playing a BD but it's still DVD

Well I was going to welcome you to the forum, but after reading the above quote I've realized that you're the reason I haven't been able to get the damned BD bezel from Asus for the last 4 months...they took the one destined for ME and put it on YOUR laptop.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37502-Replacement-ODD-bezel

j/k...'grats on your rig. BTW, I can relate to your problem....Skyrim sucks up entirely too much of the time that I should be doing....not Skyrim. :D

Nillaz
01-16-2014, 05:31 AM

I don't have any Samsung ram for sale, but I know you can mix and match your ram as long as it's meets spec. I've been running 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial ram in addition to the 8GB (2x4GB) Hynix ram that came stock in my machine without any adverse effects. That extra ram has been a godsend.

Zygomorphic
01-16-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't have any Samsung ram for sale, but I know you can mix and match your ram as long as it's meets spec. I've been running 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial ram in addition to the 8GB (2x4GB) Hynix ram that came stock in my machine without any adverse effects. That extra ram has been a godsend.
As long as you match the voltages (absolute must), the speeds (really important), and the timings (not so much), you will be fine. :)

Just a note of reminder to all, we don't sell directly on this forum. Links to appropriate retailers are perfectly OK though. :)