PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx additionnal issues

Mylar188
09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi,

Would it be possible to have a clear and complete sticky post detailing all the fixes that need to be done for the laptop to be fully functionnal ?

I just spent 2hours on the forum and couldn't figure out what was still necessary (if necessary at all). Also some issues are not referenced together under one simple to use fix thread.

I updated the BIOS to .202 version, updated ATK to the latest ver. after uninstalling the .8 one.

Two things:
-Do I need to take care of some CPU throttling problem?

-My keyboard backlighting flashes on start-up but won't come back on once windows is launched. The fn+f2, fn+f3, fn+f4... combinations don't work anymore. The OSD that usually pops up when using those hotkeys is gone. The only working combinations are fn+f5 and fn+f6 (screen brightness control) but still without On Screen Dislay of the little fake-3D "wheel" with blue in it. The "ROG logo" key next to the power button is also out of order (no cycling throug modes/3D mode toggling).

Could someone please sum-up what fixes need to be applied and point me to a solution regarding how to fix the broken hotkeys and gone OSD.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I couldn't find any sastisfying answer so far!

Thanks in advance for answering/helping me.

Regards,
Vincent.

Mylar188
09-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello again,

I fixed the "hotkeys not functionning" problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the ATK Package drivers.
I still can't figure out why it failed in the first place but since it's fixed I guess it doesn't matter anymore. As long as it doesn't fail again for no reason, I'll be satisfied :)

I would still be interested in knowing if I need to take care of the throttling issue with Sandy bridge CPUs, or if the BIOS revision might have taken care of the problem somehow. If anyone could help me out I would be thankful.

Vincent.

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Vincent! Thank you for purchasing your ROG. :)

As for your issues, you already redid the ATK, which is what I was going to suggest. After updating the ATK, sometimes it needs 2 reboots to properly setup.

As for the throttle issue, it's a situation that is still being investigated. here's a link explaining the issue and how to setup Throttlestop properly. It only needs to run once, and can be turned off afterwards. The Throttlestop homepage has more info and a full guide on setting it up, including how to get it to shut down automatically after starting.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

grungeboy2
09-18-2011, 10:44 PM
sounds like the g74sx is a garbage laptop, to be avoided at all costs.

Mylar188
09-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Thank you Chastity for the link and the info. :)

@grungeboy: It's true that there's a couple of issues that require fixing on first use but the fixes are easy and available. This forum is an excellent resource by the way.
Despite the flaws, which can be very frustrating, I'm still very happy with it and have been able to use it whithout any limitation.

Br4nd3n
09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
@Grungeboy

Every laptop no matter which company you look at will have some sort of issues in a specific model. I'm running a Asus G74Sx-A1 right now and haven't had 1 single issue with it since day 1, and I've had it for over a month. In my opinion it's the best laptop I have owned, and was a major upgrade from my previous Dell Alienware; mainly because of the superior cooling. My GPU on full load never gets above 54c, which is seriously impressive; and to mention I'm not even using a cooling pad at the moment. The processor is ridiculously fast, the 3gb DDR5 560m can run any game, and I play Rift maxed out.

The G74 series is no where near garbage. Some laptops off the line just weren't built perfectly, like every company. If you'd rather buy something else why don't you go get an HP. Have a fun time dealing with their bull**** support and horrible laptops.

Naits
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
g74sx = alot of issues and frustration. my issues so far: the bios and atk. windows-explorer.exe stopped working the second i used it. touchpad & bluetooth issue. and finally: the LCD cable is somehow broken, after 2 weeks of GENTIL use. only way i can fix the last one is to RMA it.. which isnt really tempting

Chastity@ASUS
09-20-2011, 03:00 AM
You should give us a chance to fix it :(

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 03:30 AM
all i'm saying is that Asus shouldn't sell a laptop that needs fixing. i've had zero problems from my G51. i've never had a single problem with any asus motherboard or component i've used in building systems. i've also noticed that the majority of problems with the other G-Series laptops has been generally because something failed or simply the user was trying to do something different with it.

i understand that the forum is a great resource. that's why i come here, and why i try to contribute as much as i can.

all that said, they shouldn't sell a laptop that needs fixing fresh out of the box. it'd be wrong if it was a car, it'd be wrong if it was a power tool, you name it, it's wrong to sell a item that requires fixing.

i do understand that the problems usually have fairly easy workarounds, but so help me if i spend upwards of a grand on something, it best not be broke out of the box. it just ain't right.

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 03:38 AM
LOL. i bought my wife a HP. i was a early adopter of the Asus G-Series. i actually used to work for a company in LaVergne, TN called Quanta Computers. they handled warranty level repairs of Compaq, HP, and Gateway, they also manufactured motherboards for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. so if you sent your laptop in because you dropped it in a pool or your 15 year old son put a password on it and can't remember, i was the guy who fixed it (obviously i mean i was one of the guys). cracked screen, dead wifi card, mostly stuff that had been broken by the user at some point, and usually we'd do everything we could to score the parts to fix it so that there wouldn't be any cost. sometimes if one was out of warranty, we'd set it aside until we got a similar model that was in warranty and then order the parts for that one to fix the out of warranty one at no cost.

i've seen it all man, saw a iphone 4 earlier today that had been backed over by a car, save for the fact that the front and back screens were completely shattered, it still worked.

the G74's have a extremely high failure rate, i hope that's the reason why they've held off on a G54, i want to see Asus fix the problem, but that doesn't mean they didn't strike out on this one. it's not like they didn't pack it with sweet hardware or a awesome feature set all for a reasonable price, but somewhere along the way something went wrong and it seems like there are major issues.

if anyone asks, my advice would be to get a G73 or whatever, but i couldn't in good conscience advise anyone to get a G74.

xeromist
09-20-2011, 09:58 PM
the G74's have a extremely high failure rate

Not to be argumentative, but this is based on what? It's very easy to start feeling negatively about a product line or the brand in general if you read everything on this board. But we have to keep reminding ourselves that the posts on this board are not indicative of anything larger. Based on the number of units that ASUS will sell for any of its products, the posts we get here are statistically insignificant. This is further skewed by the fact that happy customers don't take the time to find the ASUS website, create an account, and post their experience. It happens but it's very rare.

All of that is not to say that there aren't problems which seem to be affecting multiple customers and may affect many more who have not posted here, but there's no mathematically sound way to even estimate how many. We don't even know how many units have been shipped or purchased, let alone returned or RMA'd.

Mylar188
09-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I didn't start this thread expecting that kind of outcome but I agree with what you said grungeboy.
It truly is wrong that the G74 requires the buyer to fix it before it can operate smoothly.

Having said that, I chose Asustek over another brand because of the good feedback I got from a number of people and there is definitely some truth in what xeromist says above. There aren't that many threads about serious failures on the part of the G74, and (at least in my case) the only truly recurrent issues are the ones about the keyboard drivers and the BIOS needing updating.
I trust Asus for providing us with a definitive update of the BIOS as soon as possible, that'll turn the calc. key into a Numlock one and eventually take care of the throttling problem if necessary (which, from what I understand, originates from a design flaw on Intel's part).

Now, at the risk of repeating myself, my G74 pleases me very much. I'll admit that I was very annoyed by the Numpad issue when I first used it but hopefully these computers will soon be packed with an updated BIOS making them good to go from purchase. Until then, the soundest thing to do might be to tell people who consider buying a G74 that either they'll have to apply those fixes or that they should consider waiting or settling for another model.

I hope everyone's issues will find their solutions.

regards, Vincent.

grungeboy2
09-21-2011, 05:43 AM
I chose Asustek over another brand

i concour.

adymitruk
09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Where can I find a complete list of "Must apply patches" and the order in which to apply them? I've added an SSD for my primary drive. Does that change things? I'm getting intermittent blue screens - one every 2 days or so.

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 05:10 AM
check the stickies. loads of great info there.

Chastity@ASUS
09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Where can I find a complete list of "Must apply patches" and the order in which to apply them? I've added an SSD for my primary drive. Does that change things? I'm getting intermittent blue screens - one every 2 days or so.

Which model of SSD did you get? Did you check for any firmware updates for it?

adymitruk
09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I applied the BIOS upgrade to 202 and the latest drivers from NVidia. Haven't had a blue screen since yet. But it's only been a couple of days. Computer did hang earlier today with the HD light glowing solid. Mouse was not responsive. Seems the computer will 1-2 times a day hang to do some page file mem swapping or something.

My SSD is the Pyro Patriot 240 GB. I guess I'll go see if there are any updates for that? Did anyone else have issues with an SSD on the G74sx?

adymitruk
09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Just froze again :/ .. wondering if it's the SSD. Ran CrystalDiskInfo 4 and all looked good on what it showed. But then the app became unresponsive, then the operating system. The drive light was on solid again..

Any ideas?

JRd1st
09-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I suspect that the drive is the problem. I've been reading an awful lot of similar problems where people have SSD's.

I was gonna get one soon, but I'm having second . . . nay, third thoughts. :(

Good luck, dude!

grungeboy2
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
good, fast, mechanical drives are out there. hybrid drives aren't bad either.

i've got my factory 320GB and a spare 160GB (came from a macbook) in my G51 and it's pretty quick to do most tasks.

Thorn2011
09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
@Grungeboy

Every laptop no matter which company you look at will have some sort of issues in a specific model. I'm running a Asus G74Sx-A1 right now and haven't had 1 single issue with it since day 1, and I've had it for over a month. In my opinion it's the best laptop I have owned, and was a major upgrade from my previous Dell Alienware; mainly because of the superior cooling. My GPU on full load never gets above 54c, which is seriously impressive; and to mention I'm not even using a cooling pad at the moment. The processor is ridiculously fast, the 3gb DDR5 560m can run any game, and I play Rift maxed out.

The G74 series is no where near garbage. Some laptops off the line just weren't built perfectly, like every company. If you'd rather buy something else why don't you go get an HP. Have a fun time dealing with their bull**** support and horrible laptops.

Yeah I just bought my new Asus G74 G74SX-FHD-TZ130V Laptop last week and have nothing but huge amounts of praise and compliments for it. Its funny how people go to a specific forum dedicated to solving issues for a certain range of laptops, see people asking questions which are being investigated by their specific departments, and assume that the laptops must be rubbish... I think you will find HP, Alienware and other companies dealing with even MORE questions, breakdowns, and issues.

So far I have only had one issue which may or not be related to the laptop, when I disable the touchpad it works until I reboot or restart the laptop, then all of a sudden the touchpad starts working again even though it says it is disabled in the taskbar! Apart from that I am amazed that a 2k laptop does what the G74sx can do, for example, I fired up Stalker CS, Crysis Warhead and Battlefield 2 BC, set all to High Detail (Gamer in Crysis) and to 1920X1080 and whalla smooth framerates going between 35-60 fps! Not too bad for a laptop I don't think, pretty damn impressed! That's only the start of what I love about this laptop!

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah I just bought my new Asus G74 G74SX-FHD-TZ130V Laptop last week and have nothing but huge amounts of praise and compliments for it. Its funny how people go to a specific forum dedicated to solving issues for a certain range of laptops, see people asking questions which are being investigated by their specific departments, and assume that the laptops must be rubbish... I think you will find HP, Alienware and other companies dealing with even MORE questions, breakdowns, and issues.

So far I have only had one issue which may or not be related to the laptop, when I disable the touchpad it works until I reboot or restart the laptop, then all of a sudden the touchpad starts working again even though it says it is disabled in the taskbar! Apart from that I am amazed that a 2k laptop does what the G74sx can do, for example, I fired up Stalker CS, Crysis Warhead and Battlefield 2 BC, set all to High Detail (Gamer in Crysis) and to 1920X1080 and whalla smooth framerates going between 35-60 fps! Not too bad for a laptop I don't think, pretty damn impressed! That's only the start of what I love about this laptop!

First of all, I totally agree.

Secondly, did you install BIOS 202, ATK 1.0.0010, and update your Sentelic Touchpad driver (assuming you have that one and not the Synaptic)? All those updates are in this thread (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference) but I'm not sure if the links work just now, it depends on whether Chastity has them all fixed or not. ;)

Good luck dude! :)

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 01:00 AM
You can disable the touchpad in the BIOS, which will be more permanent. F2 on boot ASUS screen, 2nd tab I believe.

adymitruk
09-26-2011, 04:47 AM
I suspect that the drive is the problem. I've been reading an awful lot of similar problems where people have SSD's.

I was gonna get one soon, but I'm having second . . . nay, third thoughts. :(

Good luck, dude!

Can anyone confirm that there are issues with SSDs? If there are, why? I need this for work. Microsoft Visual Studio is a pig of an environment to develop in. I need the SSD.. :(

Thanks

grungeboy2
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
so far i've seen few issues with the SSD's but i did run into a magazine reviewer who stated that he had numerous issues with ones that weren't the intel models.

a little research yielded this gem:

Last week we got a new Intel Core i7-870 platform with a G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD (with the Indilix Barefoot controller) and a standard 500GB HDD as the second drive. I also chucked the i-RAM into this PC and tested all configurations.

Compared to the Core 2 Duo, which compiled in 3.5 minutes for HDD and 2.5 minutes for the i-RAM, the i7-870 compiles in 1 min 40 seconds for the SSD, HDD and i-RAM give or take 3 seconds.

So both times we've upgraded developer workstations, the vast majority of performance improvement in C# compile times has come from faster the CPU rather than faster disk. If you want to speed up compile times, put your money into the CPU rather than the disk.

source (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/867741/ssd-drives-and-visual-studio-ide-big-improvements-real-usage-stories-no-theor)

hopefully that can help. but as far as issues with SSD's go, you should be good to go.

adymitruk
09-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Finally! Found an article about SSDs and the fact that they really suck at getting in and out of hibernation and power saving options to have them power down on idle. I haven't had an issue (freezing or BSOD) since I made these changes:

1. Power Management set to "Performance"
2. Advanced Power Management Settings: Drill down to Harddrives and select "time to power down: never"
3. Don't use the hibernate feature.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

oduca
09-27-2011, 06:58 AM
I've bought the Intel X25-m 160GB a month ago so far I do not have any problems (no BSOD or freezing).

Well actually when I first got my SSD I ran the Windows Experience Index and I got 5.9 I was a bit displease, but after upgrading the firmware on my SSD that is when I got 7.7

I haven't tried tried other brands like OCZ but reading from the reviews, it seems that they are crap.

JRd1st
09-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I've bought the Intel X25-m 160GB a month ago so far I do not have any problems (no BSOD or freezing).

Well actually when I first got my SSD I ran the Windows Experience Index and I got 5.9 I was a bit displease, but after upgrading the firmware on my SSD that is when I got 7.7

I haven't tried tried other brands like OCZ but reading from the reviews, it seems that they are crap.

When I decide to jump into SSD I'm going with Intel, too. Not only do they seem easier to get set up, but they have a much lower failure rate than other popular brands. Hey, you get what you pay for. ;)

adymitruk
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM
This one was a breeze to set up. The powering down was an issue and seems to be solved with those settings. Hope that there will be an upgrade and that I won't have to wipe the drive to do it.

I'm getting a 7.9 on the windows experience index for the drive.

philbrent
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I have an even more elusive issue, my Keyboard will not work after a reboot. Went to bed on the 26th. WHen I came home from work on the 27th, I turned my G74sx Laptop on, walked away yo get a drink, sat down and noticed it had downloaded an update and was installing it. (Even gave me the Do nto turn off while Windows is Updating sign). Now. I hadnt even logged in yet, it was still sitting at the login screen.
After it installed and rebooted, and at the login screen, the Keyboard would NOT work. SO I rebooted it again. Still no joy. SO I used the onscreen Keyboard to login in, and looked to see what update was done, it was the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool Kit, nothing major, seen em a thousand times. I did searches on the forums, and web in general to find a solution ( mind you it was painful having to click on letters on my screen to do this). and nothing. Saw the "Update your BIOS to 202, and uninstall (with reboot), and install latest (with reboot) of the ATK drivers.. NOTHING worked. So I restored my PC to the 26th. Keyboard works fine. So after the update of the Malicious Removal Tool Kit, It still ran fine. I rebooted, Stopped working again. Rolled it back again. Keyboard worked fine again. THis time I rebooted without updating the microsoft kit, thinking, ok maybe its that update... Nope.. Keyboard Stopped working AGAIN, after a reboot. SO now I am at an impasse, if I reboot, the Keyboard stops working. And the drivers being updated properly and the BIOS properly, did nothing to fix this. I have had this Laptop since June. And this is the first time this has happened. Im quite irritated with it atm. I still think the Piss-poor Touch pad (Entirely TOO big for those of us that actually TYPE on a laptop), and the only true way to disable the touchpad is to go into the BIOS and disable it, was POOR design on ASUS's part. Otherwise the Laptop is a great machine.)
I seriously need help though with this Keyboard issue, and if its not a driver issue, nor a problem caused by an update ( since I ruled that out already), and this JUST happened after almost 4 months of using it every day, I can not possibly think of what is causing this, other then some unreported issue ASUS is not announcing.
Please help.

philbrent
09-28-2011, 10:42 PM
*Edited of a repost*

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow, never heard of that! Well, at least you know it's not a hardware problem.

Do you think maybe you have a virus? What did you install that initiated the restore point you're restoring to? Do you have an earlier restore point you can try?

philbrent
09-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Well thats just it, I thought ok maybe a virus? I have Norton 2011 Internet security, scanned everything, complete scan, nothing but tracking cookies. Other then the MS Malicious Removal Tool Kit, which I have ruled out now as the issue, I have installed nothing on the 26th that would cause this to stop working. Any resotre point I use before the 27th of Sep makes the Keyboard work again. But if I reboot, after restoring, it stops again. This is why Im seriously looking for an answer to this as it is driving me mad.

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Have you tried booting into safe mode? Just to see if the keyboard still works, then.

Also, you say "I have installed nothing on the 26th that would cause this to stop working." But did you install anything?

philbrent
09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
going to now Ill post after a few minutes.

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Next time you get into windows when your keyboard doesn't work, go into Control Panel >> Device Manager and right click on the top branch and Scan for Hardware Changes.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling ATK1.0100010 and the Keyboard Filter Driver 1.0.0.3 (under utilities on the ASUS Site)

johnkook73
09-29-2011, 12:55 AM
I am also still having problems with my keyboard also on my G74SX-3DE. (Left shift key not working all the time, back cursor randomly going back and wierd key strokes) I have tried numerous things that I read on this forum with negative results. Everything else on this laptop is perfect and Battlefield 3 Beta runs awesome!! Just need my keyboard fixed.. :(

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 03:03 AM
sounds like a funky connection. this is going to sound a bit extreme and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, you shouldn't.

that said, i'd try removing the two screws on the bottom that go to the keyboard, pulling the keyboard up, and checking the connection.

dstrakele
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I have an even more elusive issue, my Keyboard will not work after a reboot. Went to bed on the 26th. WHen I came home from work on the 27th, I turned my G74sx Laptop on, walked away yo get a drink, sat down and noticed it had downloaded an update and was installing it. (Even gave me the Do nto turn off while Windows is Updating sign). Now. I hadnt even logged in yet, it was still sitting at the login screen.
After it installed and rebooted, and at the login screen, the Keyboard would NOT work. SO I rebooted it again. Still no joy. SO I used the onscreen Keyboard to login in, and looked to see what update was done, it was the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool Kit, nothing major, seen em a thousand times. I did searches on the forums, and web in general to find a solution ( mind you it was painful having to click on letters on my screen to do this). and nothing. Saw the "Update your BIOS to 202, and uninstall (with reboot), and install latest (with reboot) of the ATK drivers.. NOTHING worked. So I restored my PC to the 26th. Keyboard works fine. So after the update of the Malicious Removal Tool Kit, It still ran fine. I rebooted, Stopped working again. Rolled it back again. Keyboard worked fine again. THis time I rebooted without updating the microsoft kit, thinking, ok maybe its that update... Nope.. Keyboard Stopped working AGAIN, after a reboot. SO now I am at an impasse, if I reboot, the Keyboard stops working. And the drivers being updated properly and the BIOS properly, did nothing to fix this. I have had this Laptop since June. And this is the first time this has happened. Im quite irritated with it atm. I still think the Piss-poor Touch pad (Entirely TOO big for those of us that actually TYPE on a laptop), and the only true way to disable the touchpad is to go into the BIOS and disable it, was POOR design on ASUS's part. Otherwise the Laptop is a great machine.)
I seriously need help though with this Keyboard issue, and if its not a driver issue, nor a problem caused by an update ( since I ruled that out already), and this JUST happened after almost 4 months of using it every day, I can not possibly think of what is causing this, other then some unreported issue ASUS is not announcing.
Please help.

Did you check the Windows "Ease of Access Center" to see if the system is somehow enabled to NOT use the keyboard?

For your touchpad issue, try increasing the "Typing Reactivaltion" time to 1.5 seconds or more. It worked for me.

johnkook73
09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
sounds like a funky connection. this is going to sound a bit extreme and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, you shouldn't.

that said, i'd try removing the two screws on the bottom that go to the keyboard, pulling the keyboard up, and checking the connection.

I reinstalled my ATK driver and its working for now....seems like this happens when I have the computer on for awhile. I dont think its going to be a connection issue because when I plug in my Logitech G13 gaming keyboard the same exact shift key will not work, but thanks for the help.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Ok, let us know if it stops working again.

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Ok, let us know if it stops working again.

It actually worked fine for about 4 hours then messed up again :(

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 12:28 AM
The left shift key?

I wonder if it's humidity or something.

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Not sure, it wasn't just that key..it was also the cursor jumping around again. Just restarted my computer and its working fine at the moment...very strange, lol.

grungeboy2
09-30-2011, 01:08 AM
the fact that the problem carried over to the external keyboard tells us that its not a problem with the driver to your keyboard (otherwise the external would work fine).

have you tried using the onscreen keyboard built into windows? if that has the same issues then there's a deeper, system-level, problem you got there.

format c:\?

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 01:43 AM
I forgot that the problem carries over to an external keyboard.

@Johnkook73,
I think you should do a clean install of win7x64 from a windows install disc - http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html#post5437866

Then go from there with all new drivers and everything.

This is a crazy problem for sure!

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I forgot that the problem carries over to an external keyboard.

@Johnkook73,
I think you should do a clean install of win7x64 from a windows install disc - http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html#post5437866

Then go from there with all new drivers and everything.

This is a crazy problem for sure!

Ok, I might try that...thank you. Now does that mean I will lose everything I have on here? They overclocked my system..will I loose that as well?

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, you'll lose everything on your C: drive. But you can backup important data first.

What program did they use to overclock it?

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes, you'll lose everything on your C: drive. But you can backup important data first.

What program did they use to overclock it?

MSI Afterburner, Also I have my router configured through this laptop..if I decide to do the clean install, would I have to reset my router and use the cd ike I did when I first set it up?

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Before you do anything, go into" Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use" and see if anything is checked. The only thing I fave checked (be default) is "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NumLock Key for 5 seconds". And see what you have in Keyboard Settings, while you're in there.

Look in "Turn on Filter Keys, too" disable "Turn on filter keys if Right Shift . . ."

You're using a logitech keyboard, right? Have you tried installing Setpoint?

Yeah, you'll probably have to set everything up again.

Afterburner doesn't look very complicated. Write down the settings, or maybe you can find the config file. Look in the Afterburner folders and find a text type file that's newer than any other files.

If you download Win7HomePremiumx64 from that page use the .ISO method. You'll need to burn the Iso to a DVD.

Installing Windows, updating it and installing drivers is a good thing to learn to do. Or, you could just try to figure out why your left shift key is weird. It HAS to be something software wise.

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Before you do anything, go into" Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use" and see if anything is checked. The only thing I fave checked (be default) is "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NumLock Key for 5 seconds". And see what you have in Keyboard Settings, while you're in there.

Look in "Turn on Filter Keys, too" disable "Turn on filter keys if Right Shift . . ."

You're using a logitech keyboard, right? Have you tried installing Setpoint?

Yeah, you'll probably have to set everything up again.

Afterburner doesn't look very complicated. Write down the settings, or maybe you can find the config file. Look in the Afterburner folders and find a text type file that's newer than any other files.

If you download Win7HomePremiumx64 from that page use the .ISO method. You'll need to burn the Iso to a DVD.

Installing Windows, updating it and installing drivers is a good thing to learn to do. Or, you could just try to figure out why your left shift key is weird. It HAS to be something software wise.

Yea everything is unchecked. If I decide to do the clean install I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the help.

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
the fact that the problem carried over to the external keyboard tells us that its not a problem with the driver to your keyboard (otherwise the external would work fine).

have you tried using the onscreen keyboard built into windows? if that has the same issues then there's a deeper, system-level, problem you got there.

format c:\?

Next time the keyboard messes up I will try the onboard and see what happens.

graywolf323
09-30-2011, 05:47 PM
my left ctrl key is acting a little similar to your left shift key

it just doesn't always register

grungeboy2
09-30-2011, 06:45 PM
does yours exhibit the same problem his did? does that key work well on a external keyboard or is it strictly tied to the built in keyboard?

johnkook73
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
my left ctrl key is acting a little similar to your left shift key

it just doesn't always register

For me when I plugged up the G13 game keyboard that key (left shift) wouldnt work as well. This usually occured after a few hours of playing.