PDA

View Full Version : A windows 8 OEM DVD?

bonechatters
01-15-2014, 03:27 AM
Where can I get a windows 8 OEM 64bit iso for my laptop?

Windows 8 basic came pre-installed but I want a full windows 8 OEM installation disc. I see some people obtained this when they purchased their laptop, however I did not. How can I now obtain this disc/iso? I already own the serial key and do not need to purchase a new one.

Yes I have done several search and hours of research on this only to get these answers:

- Create a recovery image of your OS (I am on 8.1 currently and need an 8.0 iso plus I want a fresh install)
- Use the included reset to factory default option (I would like a physical disc in case something goes wrong)

And similar answers that do not directly address my issue. I want a physical disc with a clean OEM copy of the operating system on the laptop I own.

BONUS: I have seen some mention of the recovery partition. Is there a way to simply clone the factory default straight from this?

Darnassus
01-15-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm looking for one too.

For the bonus you can easily grab a program that does 'disk cloning', one that boots in DOS and then you select the hidden partition (recovery) and have it copied to a USB no less than 16 gigabytes.

I can see your point though, I myself really want a physical disc for Win 8. If you ever find an ISO to burn it yourself, remember to burn it to the disc at the SLOWEST speed.

bonechatters
01-15-2014, 03:50 AM
It might be easier than I thought and perhaps someone here could confirm. It looks like people have had success using a retail Windows 8 install disc, and having the OEM laptop recognize it and still put in its own activation serial.

https://superuser.com/questions/497660/will-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-recognize-an-oem-license-product-key

Phoeny
01-15-2014, 05:06 AM
retail disk works .... the key is located in the uefi-bios thing ... you dont have to type any key ... just reinstall and its allready activated...

bonechatters
01-15-2014, 05:11 AM
retail disk works .... the key is located in the uefi-bios thing ... you dont have to type any key ... just reinstall and its allready activated...

After reading that article I decided to try it out. I had a spare disk from school but when I entered the key into the windows 8 upgrade toll from Microsoft, it said it was a windows 8 Pro disk. I know for a fact I have Basic since I didn't have access to group policies. Now... I think Basic actually comes with Pro files just not activated.

Could I use a Windows 8 Pro Retail disk, install, then change the product key to my OEM and have it function?

Nehmia
01-15-2014, 05:48 AM

Wrong! it won't work! the retail disc needs a retail Windows 8 Core key!

The key that is stored in our BIOS is the Windows 8 Single Language key; thus, you need the Windows 8 Single Language ISO which I have if you need it by the way

getjohnalive
01-15-2014, 07:40 AM
I have G750JX and a retail Disc of Windows 8 Pro, but windows 8 basic is also in that disc because when I put in the windows pro disc retail, it only install windows basic and no need to type serial key. and to upgrade to windows pro, I'll have to type the windows pro serial key manual in windows after it finish to install windows 8. retail and OEM Disc of windows 8 will work on G750 Series as long as it is genuine windows 8 disc. I purchased windows pro online at microsoft store as downloadable, with Backup disc of windows 8 Pro.

SevenNorth
01-15-2014, 02:15 PM
You don't need an actual disk. Download Asus Backtracker software on the Asus site, open the program and install it to a 16gb USB stick. Then keep the stick and that is your OEM Windows disk. Shut down the computer and have the disk inserted in any USB port and it will install back to factory windows for your Lappy (only windows 8 as we do not have licensing for 8.1 on this machine). Then you can install 8.1 from the store. A bit of a pain, however with an SSD it goes relatively quick.
Hope this helps.

bonechatters
01-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Isn't this software only used for creating backups?

So I just download Asus Backtracker onto my Win7 PC and that will download the factory OEM windows 8 from their servers onto my usb?

bonechatters
01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

The key that is stored in our BIOS is the Windows 8 Single Language key; thus, you need the Windows 8 Single Language ISO which I have if you need it by the way

Here is what I have at this point in time.

I created a recovery drive with copied contents from the recovery partition on the laptop. I then back up these recovery files.
I am creating a custom Windows 8 refresh snapshot of my current setup.

So now, I can completely hard wipe everything on this laptop, then boot from the recovery disk and choose to use the Refresh image to install?

Once the image is done being created, you can use the WIM that you've just created to reset your PC back to its original state via the Refresh My PC tool (which you can use either in Settings on Windows, or via a recovery disk).

Darnassus
01-16-2014, 08:29 AM

My machine came with 8. What if I install 8.1? Will it recognise?

Nehmia
01-16-2014, 10:49 AM
My machine came with 8. What if I install 8.1? Will it recognise?

yes but not during the setup.

in Windows 8, you don't even need to enter a product key during setup, it will read the key straight from your BIOS

with Windows 8.1, you need to enter the Windows 8.1 Single Language default installation key (keys are widely available on the internet just google it, they areon t keys that you can activate your system with, just used for the sake of installation), then you activate Windows using your real key later on which you must have saved before, if you didn't, then RWeverything can read the key straight from BIOS

robtek
07-16-2014, 03:53 AM

please email me robtek at gm ail
thank you in advance

Darnassus
07-16-2014, 02:41 PM
please email me robtek at gm ail
thank you in advance

User was banned, sorry for inconvenience. :c

WeskerOng
02-11-2015, 01:34 PM

Hi can you give me the Windows 8 Single Language ISO?

toronto699
02-11-2015, 04:02 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

ati@asus
05-07-2015, 02:47 AM

can give me the win 8 single language ?
:eek:

ati@asus
05-07-2015, 02:48 AM

can give me the win 8 single language ? or u got the link send it to me? (email : mdcomputerstation@live.com) tqvm

:eek:

Wulff
05-07-2015, 08:33 AM
wich language would you need then?

if its english: en-gb_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_6051481.iso

if you need another language let me know

code9523
05-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Got same problem with activation OEM windows. I called to local Microsoft support and asked them about my key: What copy of windows it belongs to the guy answered me that it's for Windows 8 x64 OEM and told me that he can email me with a link for downloading ISO file of windows 8.1with installation key and after clean install call them again and ask about activation of win 8.1 with key from win 8. So I done it and now I have everything activated and backed up for ever))) Also advice is to use RW everything to get your key from bios it will help to locate what windows do you have and which you need to install!