PDA

View Full Version : RAIDR Express and SLI

Nate152
01-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Hello ROGer's,

I started this thread because one of our ROG members is doing a build with the RAIDR Express and SLIing two GTX 780's. I saw a review on Newegg that someone said the RAIDR Express keeps your machine from recognizing SLI and was confirmed by Asus support. Comments?

Nodens
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
This as a blanket statement is certainly wrong. It may happen on a specific chipset due to bug or chipset limitation. Which particular board are you talking about?

Nate152
01-17-2014, 11:16 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42632-COMPONENT-COMPATIBILITY-after-searching-and-reading-I-need-advice-on-these&country=&status=

Nodens
01-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Am I supposed to see something in that thread that answers my question? Because I can't see it. Like on this thread, there's only a mention of a random comment on Newegg... no mention of which board this was reported on, that I asked. RAIDR completely disabling SLI, that is certainly false. I already told you that. Issue with one particular chipset or board? Maybe. But until you tell me which board this was reported with I can tell you nothing more.

Nate152
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry about that Nodens,The person who wrote the review does not list any hardware.

Nodens
01-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Well then I can only attribute that review to user error or general nonsense. I believe we would have threads here about it if someone actualy had such an issue. Several people use the RAIDR with SLI, even on older boards like Rampage III..

Nate152
01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Thank you for clearing this up Nodens. What got me was he said it was confirmed by Asus support. I think now it was his particular motherboard that he did not list.

Nodens
01-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Unless you hear someone @ASUS confirming it here, I'd take everything with a grain of salt. I mean I can claim right now that I'm multi-billionaire, unfortunately that won't make me one :p

Nate152
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
LOL, I hear ya Nodens. I'm glad to see Asus has this ROG website, it really is helpful to everyone.

srgman
02-14-2014, 12:08 AM
SLI/CrossFireX won’t work with RAIDR Express installed?
Please note the PCIe lane distribution in your PC.

Intel CPUs in Maximus motherboards have 1x PCIe x16 lane from the CPU only, with a few extra PCIe 2.0 lanes from the PCH (southbridge), but these are often used by SATA controllers or GigE, for example. Nvidia SLI requires at least a PCIe x8 lane for each card to activate, while AMD CrossFire-X needs at least PCIe x4 lane for each card to activate. For example, Maximus V and VI boards with three PCIe 16x lanes and Ivy Bridge or Haswell CPUs can potentially split the lanes into 8x, 4x, 4x, so if you run SLI and drop a RAIDR Express into the third 16x slot it will disable SLI.

RAIDR Express itself requires at least PCIe x2 to give sufficient bandwidth to the card, so PCIe 1x slots are insufficient.

The motherboard manual will explain how each PCIe slot is used, or, please ask on rog.asus.com/forums if you are still unsure.

Adrian Hansen
04-06-2014, 06:37 AM
hello my setup is
asus maximus vi ekstrem
asus raide 240gb
dual sli evga 780 sc atx
corsair ax1200i

i cannot get it to work in sli mode i get qcode 96 whits pci e lane shut i put the raidr in? an whits lanes for the grafficcards?
pleasse help :)

mrkernel
04-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I use 2x 780 GTX and a ROG RAIDR-card without any issues.
You need to place the RAIDR-card in slot 5 (the short black one) if you are running SLI according to the manual.

Slots should be

1 - GPU
2- empty
3- GPU (black B2 slot)
4 - empty
5- RAIDR (short PCI bus)
6- empty

If you place ANY PCI card in 2, 4 or in 6 then your second GPU (B2) will be disabled.
Also, this is now 200% more stable with 1402 BIOS than with the BIOSes released mid 2013.

This also means that a soundcard in conjunction with a PCIe RAID card is out of the question on a VI Extreme motherboard which bothers me. But the best answer I got is that it's by-design in the Haswell platform.

Hope this helps anyone.

g13hOMI
05-02-2014, 01:02 AM
raidr and pci express works fine. had 2 gtx 580's and pci raidr and the xonar phoebus to add to the mix, very cramped but they all work together on a rampage iv

ATINUT
05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm looking at getting the Raidr Express and I'm not worried about the PCI Express bandwidth, as my Z87 Deluxe Motherboard has a PLX PCI Express Bridge chip on it, to ensure that once the two primary PCI Express X16 slots are occupied by graphics cards, that the rest of the PCI Express slots get the bandwidth they need. I have two ASUS GTX 760's in SLI, which are also mini ITX cards. I use the onboard Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio, as I was impressed enough with it, that I opted not to put a soundcard in my machine.

MatsGlobetrotter
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
I dont have SLI but what i do have and have tested on a maximus VI formula is that a raidr express will have no impact whatsoever on an GTX780ti on the same mb. The switching the 780ti from 8x to 16 x meant absolutely nothing. Thus effectively its impossible to see the PCIE as the limiting factor. Dont know about in Sli but if by default all SLIs on dual PCIE modes switch to 8x then it can not matter. The only difference for sli would potentially be on the new z97 boards IF the Sli graphics in that scenario can load the pcie fully. Atleast that is my conclusion after the testing ive done this week.

InFAMAS-ONE
08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi all!

It can depend on what socket your motherboard has, or your motherboard in general. The number of available PCI-E lanes for devices such as GPU's or PCI-E SSD's, and the layout of the slots does differ between CPU socket types, and even motherboards on the same socket. On the Intel platform, LGA1150 and LGA1155 CPU's only offer 16 PCI-E lanes. This is why if you connect one Graphics card to your motherboard, it will run at X16, but if you put 2 in there, they will both run at X8 lanes each. Nvidia cards require a minimum of 8 lanes, so if you have a board that supports 2-way SLI, 3-Way Crossfire, you might think "Oh, I have 3 slots here, I can put the RAIDR in slot 3" - no. Here's why:

With Crossfire, when you install 3 cards, they run at these speeds
Card 1: X8
Card 2: X4
Card 3: X4

Total: 16 lanes.

With nvidia cards, as previously stated, they require a minimum of 8 lanes

Card 2: X8

Total: 16 lanes - no lanes left to support a device in Slot 3.

This means, that with 2-way SLI on an LGA1150, or LGA1155, the CPU does not offer any more lanes to support a device in the third slot. If you try to put something in there, there are no longer enough lanes for the video cards, and things stop working.

Some motherboards have an additional PCI-E X4 2.0 slot, which is controlled by the Motherboard chipset, not the CPU; the smaller X1 slots are controlled this way too. If your motherboard has this, then you should be able to run 2 nvidia cards in SLI, as well as the RAIDR.
However, if you do put the RAIDR in there, the X1 slots will most likely no longer function.

I personally chose to go for the Rampage IV Black Edition for my motherboard, as it's the LGA2011 Platform, and I'm using nvidia GPUs. LGA2011 CPUs support a total of 40 PCI-E lanes, instead of the usual 16 lanes in other socket CPUs.

I have my graphics cards in slots 1 & 3, with the RAIDR in slot 2 as shown below:

Card 1, Slot 1: X16
RAIDR, Slot 2: X8 (the RAIDR only uses 2 lanes, but the slot has 8 available to it)
Card 2, Slot 3: X16

Total: 40 lanes, but only 34 in use (if you take my meaning). I could also drop a third card in, but then my second card would no longer run at X16. SLI would still work though, as the lanes would be allocated to the slots in the following way:

Card 2, Slot 2: X8
Card 3, slot 3: x8
RAIDR, Slot 4: X8 (But again, it only uses 2 lanes)

Total: 40 lanes.

If your Motherboard is LGA1150, or LGA1155, supports 2-way SLI, OR 3-Way Crossfire, and doesn't have the separate PCI-E X4 2.0 slot, then in order to use a RAIDR, and 2 cards, you are pretty much limited to AMD Graphics cards. Remember, AMD/ATI cards, need a minimum of 4 lanes, so it would work out like this:

Card 1, slot 1: x8
Slot 3: Empty

Total: 16 Lanes

OR, With the RAIDR, and 2 ATI Cards:

RAIDR: X4

I hope this helps. I was originally going to wait for the Maximus VII Formula, but after reading this, I hope you understand why I got the Rampage IV Black instead :)

izzyreb02
08-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Hi all!

It can depend on what socket your motherboard has, or your motherboard in general. The number of available PCI-E lanes for devices such as GPU's or PCI-E SSD's, and the layout of the slots does differ between CPU socket types, and even motherboards on the same socket. On the Intel platform, LGA1150 and LGA1155 CPU's only offer 16 PCI-E lanes. This is why if you connect one Graphics card to your motherboard, it will run at X16, but if you put 2 in there, they will both run at X8 lanes each. Nvidia cards require a minimum of 8 lanes, so if you have a board that supports 2-way SLI, 3-Way Crossfire, you might think "Oh, I have 3 slots here, I can put the RAIDR in slot 3" - no. Here's why:

With Crossfire, when you install 3 cards, they run at these speeds
Card 3: X4

Total: 16 lanes.

With nvidia cards, as previously stated, they require a minimum of 8 lanes

Card 2: X8

Total: 16 lanes - no lanes left to support a device in Slot 3.

This means, that with 2-way SLI on an LGA1150, or LGA1155, the CPU does not offer any more lanes to support a device in the third slot. If you try to put something in there, there are no longer enough lanes for the video cards, and things stop working.

Some motherboards have an additional PCI-E X4 2.0 slot, which is controlled by the Motherboard chipset, not the CPU; the smaller X1 slots are controlled this way too. If your motherboard has this, then you should be able to run 2 nvidia cards in SLI, as well as the RAIDR.
However, if you do put the RAIDR in there, the X1 slots will most likely no longer function.

I personally chose to go for the Rampage IV Black Edition for my motherboard, as it's the LGA2011 Platform, and I'm using nvidia GPUs. LGA2011 CPUs support a total of 40 PCI-E lanes, instead of the usual 16 lanes in other socket CPUs.

I have my graphics cards in slots 1 & 3, with the RAIDR in slot 2 as shown below:

RAIDR, Slot 2: X8 (the RAIDR only uses 2 lanes, but the slot has 8 available to it)
Card 2, Slot 3: X16

Total: 40 lanes, but only 34 in use (if you take my meaning). I could also drop a third card in, but then my second card would no longer run at X16. SLI would still work though, as the lanes would be allocated to the slots in the following way:

Card 3, slot 3: x8
RAIDR, Slot 4: X8 (But again, it only uses 2 lanes)

Total: 40 lanes.

If your Motherboard is LGA1150, or LGA1155, supports 2-way SLI, OR 3-Way Crossfire, and doesn't have the separate PCI-E X4 2.0 slot, then in order to use a RAIDR, and 2 cards, you are pretty much limited to AMD Graphics cards. Remember, AMD/ATI cards, need a minimum of 4 lanes, so it would work out like this:

Card 1, slot 1: x8
Slot 3: Empty

OR, With the RAIDR, and 2 ATI Cards:

RAIDR: X4

I hope this helps. I was originally going to wait for the Maximus VII Formula, but after reading this, I hope you understand why I got the Rampage IV Black instead :)

Oh well, Maximus VII Formula has a 4x PCI Express on the bottom that is separate from the CPU Lanes and use the Motherboard lanes for that purpose instead.

As I'm thinking of merging to Haswell from Sandy Bridge-E

(Reason: I feel like I did a overkill thing without realising the needs, that I only needed for gaming and normal workloads. if I known any better I would of spent less than $3000 on a gaming rig compared to the board I am at at the moment. Where 1 Rampage IV Extreme Failed to boot after 6 months of having it, then I got my refund, then got the same one from another shop but problem still came but I didn't get my refund back. Then Rolled to the Rampage IV Formula.)

I'd just hate doing upgrades less than 3 years, because of new tech, that comes out from Intel side of things.

So hopefully when I get the Maximus Vii Formula, I should be A Okay with my Raidr on this board with Sli. ^-^

RanDyz
09-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Hello first to all. I have the folowing system:
Motherboard : Maximus VII formula
CPU : I7 4790k
Ram : Kingston DDR3 16384MB (4 x 8192) 2133MHz CL11 HyperX Predator
SSD : Kingston HyperX 3K 2.5 SATA3 240GB
PSU : Enermax Platimax 1000W
Video Cards : 2 x Gtx 680 MSI Lighthing

Im planing to buy the Asus ssd RAIDR Express and the sound card Sound Blaster ZxR .Now my question is : Will work all this 4 devices ? 2 x gtx 680 in sli + Asus Raid Express + Sound card Sound Blaster ZxR ?

kkn
09-08-2014, 08:32 PM
pull off the armor, and then i would guess yes.
GPU's in 16x slots and the other 2 in 4x slots.

Nate152
09-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Hello first to all. I have the folowing system:
Motherboard : Maximus VII formula
CPU : I7 4790k
Ram : Kingston DDR3 16384MB (4 x 8192) 2133MHz CL11 HyperX Predator
SSD : Kingston HyperX 3K 2.5 SATA3 240GB
PSU : Enermax Platimax 1000W
Video Cards : 2 x Gtx 680 MSI Lighthing

Im planing to buy the Asus ssd RAIDR Express and the sound card Sound Blaster ZxR .Now my question is : Will work all this 4 devices ? 2 x gtx 680 in sli + Asus Raid Express + Sound card Sound Blaster ZxR ?

No, it will not work. As soon as you add anything to the third pci express slot it will drop the 2nd pci express lane to x4 and cancel out your SLI.

You could do it with AMD cards as they only need x4 to work, nvidia needs x8. You could have 2 amd cards and the raidr express, I'm not sure if you could add a sound card too.

Goggle Eye
09-10-2014, 06:11 AM
After reading the entire post still have a question before purchasing a RADIR Card can not return the card to the vender. Make sure can run SLI with a RADIR SSD prior to making the purchase.

System:
Rampage 4 Black Edition
CPU I 7 4930K
GPU: GTX 780 x 2 SLI Mode