PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] ASUS G750J Wireless Adapter stopped working

YORGOS
01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
First of all, my adapter is Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Short Story
My adapter stopped working; sometimes it works perfectly and out of a sudden it stops working (the 10+ wi-fi signals are reduced to "No signal found"). I've updated the drivers and nothing works.

Long Story
This is the second time this problem happens to me, in less than a year.
I am really disappointed with ASUS.

I bought a G75VW on April (BestBuy), and it always had minor problems which I could live with, then like 2-3 months ago it stopped receiving wireless signals, like, out of nowhere it stopped working; none of the 10+ wi-fi routers around my house would be found.
Sometime I could fix it (troubleshooting, restarting, etc), sometimes I couldn't, then after some days I got a blue screen of death, which I wasn't able to fix and according to the code that was given it was a hardware problem.

I bought some insurance with the laptop, and so I took it back so they could fix it (which never happened, I was computerless for 1+ month and they didn't EVEN told me was happened to it), but since this never happened they offered me a new model for just a difference of money, and so I got it.

And this G750J was BAD ever since day one, which is really bad, it would be slow and froze from time to time. But I couldn't think bad about it because ASUS is the only brand that had gotten to my country (and Alienware, but I chose ASUS because I thought it was better, and was I wrong...).
And yesterday this bad boy began having the wireless issues, and boy if I don't want to tear it to pieces.
I found some topic claiming to have the solution (even though I update my drivers whener I can), and it didn't worked.

So, anyone has a solution?

angrylemon
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Try using a TKIP encryption on your router(s) rather than AES if using WPA2-PSK, or WPA-PSK use in general.

YORGOS
01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
But how would that work?, how would that fix my adapter?
It says there are no wi-fi's nearby; not mine, not my neighbors, not other houses, no nothing.

hmscott
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
But how would that work?, how would that fix my adapter?
It says there are no wi-fi's nearby; not mine, not my neighbors, not other houses, no nothing.

Do you see the Wireless Light on the front edge of the laptop, in front of the touchpad? If not do a FN+F2 to re-enable it.

When you go to PC Settings, do you see your Wifi adapter On/Off and Airport mode On? It is easy to enable Airport mode accidentally, and then lose Wifi/Bluetooth.

Can you see the Adapter correctly installed in Devices? Is there a yellow triangle next to the device?

It could be a loose wire connection to the MiniPCIE Adapter - the antennas connect to the card and are screwed on. If one is loose then moving the laptop, like in a backpack, can dislodge the wire.

Sometimes parts just fail. Laptops are complex devices that depend on many parts built by companies around the world. The PCIE cards come from other companies and use RF components that can fail over time - unusual, but not impossible.

It would suck if you have to RMA the laptop to fix this, but it might be a bit much to debug on your own without opening the laptop and risking breaking something else.

Let us know what the answers are to the above, and we can try to help you avoid RMA :)

YORGOS
01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
I think I fixed it.
I browsed the forum a while ago and found someone with Windows 8.1 was having the same problem (I have plain 8).
Downloaded the driver and voilá.

Still not happy with ASUS.

Sometimes parts just fail. Laptops are complex devices that depend on many parts built by companies around the world. The PCIE cards come from other companies and use RF components that can fail over time - unusual, but not impossible.

I understand what you're saying, but, man, you can't just make an expensive computer that has a lot of problems. And knowing the Technical Service is garbage, you are pretty much facked as a costumer (at least it's garbage over here).

I know nothing is perfect, but hell, problems as stupid as this?, and other common problems I've read on the forum; you are failing as a brand.
Anyways, I really appreciate your answer.

And this was the post that, so far, has saved me:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42560-G750JX-Wifi-issue.-(Windows-8.1-latest-drivers)&country=&status=