PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Memory (recommendation wanted)

digitaleyes
09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Has anyone added an extra 4GB memory module to the g74SX for a full 16gb? I really want to upgrade, but don't know exactly what to go with. I know I need 204 pin DDR3 1333. But I was always under the impression that one wants the same exact memory modules for best performance. But I'll also admit I'm a noob when it comes down to laptop hardware. What would you guys recommend? Would I be better off buying 4 new sticks of the same exact sticks of memory or buying just one that has matching specs???

TIA
mike

jorlanm
09-17-2011, 02:28 PM
If your buying 4 new sticks make sure that they are faster than the ones installed already...otherwise its just a waste of money...If you just want to pickup the same one its not hard just take a snapshot of wat mem stick you have and go to the store and buy the same one...

Do note though your not realy goin to see a performance increase...Majority of programs are still made to run on 32-Bit environment...hence they are not made to use more than 4GB...to some extent 8GB RAM is already overkill...

Boosted_R
09-17-2011, 07:40 PM
not worth it..... I have 8GB and that's way more than enough, i assume you have 12GB........ 8, 12, and 16 will have very little change, save your money...... I also was going to upgrade to 16GB till i saw the benefits was next to nothing.....maybe in a couple of years

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Has anyone added an extra 4GB memory module to the g74SX for a full 16gb? I really want to upgrade, but don't know exactly what to go with. I know I need 204 pin DDR3 1333. But I was always under the impression that one wants the same exact memory modules for best performance. But I'll also admit I'm a noob when it comes down to laptop hardware. What would you guys recommend? Would I be better off buying 4 new sticks of the same exact sticks of memory or buying just one that has matching specs???

TIA
mike

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish? Gaming-wise, the extra RAM will not help. For apps like Adobe production and CAD/Rendering work, then the RAM will help. Faster RAM will help with gaming, in that it will offer smoother gameplay maybe better min FPS, and not higher max FPS.

grungeboy2
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM
why would you buy a new laptop and then immediately want to upgrade the ram? why not just build it to order since money is no object?

digitaleyes
09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Well, the main use of my G74 will be music production. That and I also mess around with a ton of graphics applications ranging from Adobe Premiere, to Maya. So in general I believe the extra 4 gigs will do me some good. Let me rephrase my first question: The memory that are typically shipped with these machines aren't something you'll find on the shelf. (That is if you want to buy identical memory). And that's my question: Are there noticeable differences when using different brands of memory (even though they're the same specs speed wise)? Are there chances for incompatibility? Am I better off buying four new sticks? Money is an object and nothing more. However, it looks like I could throw 4 new sticks running @DDR3 1600 (assuming it can handle the upgrade) in the G74 for under $150. I'm sorry I kid you grungeboy about the money being no object. I bought the 74 at newegg so I had no option to build to spec. I'd prefer buying just one stick. However, if there are (as I asked) noticeable differences I may just plop the cash out for 4 fresh sticks.

Thanks again

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
yeah, you'd probably actually use the ram considering all that.

usually you can find something that will work with what you have. you should be able to obtain one from newegg.

jorlanm
09-20-2011, 04:33 AM
just ake sure you are using 64-bit versions...otherwise it dont do much good...