PDA

View Full Version : G750JX No CPU fan and overheating

skyline82
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM

I've only had this laptop for 3 months or so. I've played Alan Wake, HL2 Ep2, Metro 2033 and portal 2 with no problems(all offline while I'm at work), howerver, I downloaded DayZ yesterday and while playing the game, at seemingly random points, the laptop switches itself off with no shutdown procedure.
I've since used prime95, intel ETU and the intel diagnostic tool(which the laptop passes) to stress test and a few different programs to monitor my cpu temps. I've , so far, only run the stress tests for 10 mins each time.
My CPU idle temps are in the low 60's deg C. When I use the stress tests its more like 96C-98C(I've used a few monitoring programs to verify).

I reduced the core V by 100mV but It doesn't make any difference to the stress temps. The first photo I've attached is with this reduction in V and you can see the hight temps, the throttling and the processor cache freq is down at 2.49Ghz(I assume this is due to the throttling?).

The fan on the LHS of the laptop never comes on, even during gaming, I believe this is the CPU fan.

What do you guys suggest?

The second photo shows my hardware. Note I'm using BIOS 207.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
I forgot to add: I had my power supply plugged in and I get the same high temps with the powergear high settings and the windows high settings.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Just noticed I had increase the V by mistake. I've since reduced the V to -65mV and still had the same high temps.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 03:31 PM
The laptop just swithed itself off after 20 mins of the intel etu stress test. That rules out dayZ.

Dream
01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
"Just noticed I had increase the V by mistake."

So ... it sounds like you unknowingly over-volted the CPU, for a long time, *and* gamed on it.

I'm not an expert on this but it sounds to me like you screwed up the CPU, maybe permanently.

Your idle temps are 15-20 degrees C higher than they should be.

My cpu idles at 39-42.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply but my cpu was overheating before I made any adjustment to the voltage. In fact, it never crashed while at the higher voltage and changing the V, up or down(I tried + and -100mV in roughly 20mV increments), never made a difference to the Stress temps so I set it back to default.

hmscott
01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply but my cpu was overheating before I made any adjustment to the voltage. In fact, it never crashed while at the higher voltage and changing the V, up or down(I tried + and -100mV in roughly 20mV increments), never made a difference to the Stress temps so I set it back to default.

Under-volting helps if you have a good cooling system, but if you have a paste / cooling issue you aren't going to be able to compensate enough by under-volting to make a useful difference.

Register the laptop and file a Technical Inquiry, attach a zip file with the info to the TI, and ask for an RMA.
http://vip.asus.com

Or, if you are still in the return period, and the dealer has a replacement available to swap for you, that would be quicker - but make sure the dealer knows your laptop shouldn't be resold as it has a CPU cooling problem.

If you ship the RMA to Asus via next day Fedex, and tell them that when you respond in emails to the TI, request that they do the same and return it next day Fedex. That should reduce your wait time.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out :)

skyline82
01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
NO WAY!!!
There was a clicking noise coming from the cpu area and I guessed it might have been the fan trying to kickstart so I blew once, sharply, into the heatsink and lo and behold the cpu fan starts up.
im running the intel etu stress test at the moment and my cpu temp is 75C to 80C.
Joy!
Thanks for the help guys.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 08:37 PM
I'll tell you what though, theres no mistaking that fan being off or on. The thing is like a hair dryer.

skyline82
01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
And.......clunk!
The fan does seem to be able to regulate its speed but it has just stopped abruptly with a clunking noise. Maybe a bit of debris in there or the fan bearings are shot. It did kickstart with another sharp blow f3om the mouth though.

hmscott
01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
And.......clunk!
The fan does seem to be able to regulate its speed but it has just stopped abruptly with a clunking noise. Maybe a bit of debris in there or the fan bearings are shot. It did kickstart with another sharp blow f3om the mouth though.

Unless you can dislodge the debris, and verify it didn't do any damage to the blades, you probably want to swap for another unit -either through the vendor or RMA through Asus.

It sounds like something isn't passing through the fan so much as intruding in from the outside of the fan area. I don't think you can reach that area without a lot of dis-assembly that would break intrusion stickers and void the warranty.

wright
05-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Same happened to me just yesterday, but couldn't get it started. And the laptop is 2.5 months old...

hmscott
05-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Same happened to me just yesterday, but couldn't get it started. And the laptop is 2.5 months old...

wright, details?

Couldn't get what started, the fan? Is it making noise? Is it the CPU fan or the GPU fan?

This thread is about fan problems, if you have a different problem make a new post so we can track it independently.

wright
06-24-2014, 07:59 PM
CPU FAN. It wasn't making any noise (or a very quiet clunking once a couple seconds but I'm not sure) and it wasn't working at all. I'm waiting for the laptop to get back from repair.

iChun
06-25-2014, 03:45 AM
My CPU temps idle (right now) around ~55 C and it's always been those levels till I've thought it's normal. I've not really stress tested it but when I was rendering a video, temps went up to ~95 C and maintained, though Intel Tuning Util doesn't show any CPU throttling.

However, recently I've been noticing a lot of heat on the right side of that laptop to the point it's starting to get really uncomfortable to put the hand on while typing. Not sure if that's the CPU or GPU side. Left side is cool.

I'll make a new topic if that's to be preferred.