PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Windows 8 Recovery/Restore partition?

Saltgrass
01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
When an OEM sets up a Windows 8 system, they may add a larger recovery partition to hold the factory restore image needed to rebuild the system. On most systems, this is called a Recovery Partition and has a specific GUID number.

I have noticed on some ASUS laptops there is a "Restore" partition instead of a Recovery and instead of a GUID number for a Recovery Partition ID it shows as "OEM" using the Diskpart Detail Partition command.

Does anyone know if this is a normal configuration for an ASUS laptop, or could something else be changing the ID on the partition?

The reason I ask is because it seems a system updated to Windows 8.1 will no longer be able to use the Recovery options. And it appears it is because of a Restore partition being set up as opposed to a Recovery partition.

Thanks for reading...

Saltgrass
01-20-2014, 12:12 AM
While was waiting, I attempted to verify the possibility of the Third Party Partition manager causing the problem and I was able to do so.

It seems that if EaseUS is used to alter a partition and updates the system information, it will cause any recovery partitions to show up as "OEM" if you run the Diskpart Lis Par command for the drive. What happens is the Volume information for the recovery partitions is removed and the recovery system probably cannot find them.

Another indication, if you open an Administrative command prompt and try to run the command reagentc /info it will fail with an error 3.

Reverting the partitions to a primary partition GUID and rebooting and then resetting them to the Recovery GUID seems to have corrected the problem. Since I do not know the ASUS GUID for its "Restore" partition, I cannot tell you how to return that designation.

Thanks again..