PDA

View Full Version : Setting screen to 80hz and stupid Asus helpdesk answer

Robbin053
01-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi! So I went into the Nvidia control panel to try out some higher refresh rates then the standard 40/60 hz settings (on my G750JX, matte screen, non-3D model). I get a nice smooth non-flickering screen on 80hz but before setting it permanently I decided to ask the Asus helpdesk if this is damaging to my screen. Opinions on the internet go from 'don't! it will greatly reduce the life cycle of your screen' to 'no problems bro, just do it' so why not ask the experts? Well....I got my answer today: 'it's probably possible to set your screen to a higher refresh rate but we can't guarantee it working properly. Because it's not a standard setting we don't know if it will cause damage'. Mmmm, I could have gotten an aswer like this from my mother, who doesn't know anything about computers by the way. So, any thoughts in here?

getjohnalive
01-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Hi! So I went into the Nvidia control panel to try out some higher refresh rates then the standard 40/60 hz settings (on my G750JX, matte screen, non-3D model). I get a nice smooth non-flickering screen on 80hz but before setting it permanently I decided to ask the Asus helpdesk if this is damaging to my screen. Opinions on the internet go from 'don't! it will greatly reduce the life cycle of your screen' to 'no problems bro, just do it' so why not ask the experts? Well....I got my answer today: 'it's probably possible to set your screen to a higher refresh rate but we can't guarantee it working properly. Because it's not a standard setting we don't know if it will cause damage'. Mmmm, I could have gotten an aswer like this from my mother, who doesn't know anything about computers by the way. So, any thoughts in here?

anyway, how did you manage to set to 80Hz?..My G750JX with standard ChiMei Display (not 3D) only gives me to change from 40Hz to 60Hz.

kidfromhell
01-21-2014, 12:51 AM
You should set up a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel :)

hmscott
01-21-2014, 08:16 AM

Here is the response I got from Asus about setting the refresh 60hz-100hz?, is it ok long term to use the higher refresh on the screen?, and what does setting the refresh to 85hz mean?, answered via Asus Technical Inquiry when I had my JW back on 7/22/13:

Dear XXXX,,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the first question, it is OK to set the rate at 60-100hz.But you may feel the screen is flashing.

For the second one, it won't be negative for your laptop.Acturally, you can choose any rate among 60-100hz.

For the third one, the refresh rate of 85 means the image is refreshed 85 times in a second.

Robbin053
01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
At least it seems that the person who answered you didn't just google his answer. Guess I'm gonna go with 80hz. For me it get's rid of the flickering you get, mainly on all grey screens (like the standard Steam menu's, duh. I actually changed the Steam skin because of this, the flickering drove me crazy.)

hmscott
01-21-2014, 09:31 AM
At least it seems that the person who answered you didn't just google his answer. Guess I'm gonna go with 80hz. For me it get's rid of the flickering you get, mainly on all grey screens (like the standard Steam menu's, duh. I actually changed the Steam skin because of this, the flickering drove me crazy.)

FYI, I ran my JW/JX @ 100hz, no problems :)

eleternauta
01-21-2014, 10:17 AM
I think it's a normal answer for a Technical support guy. That screen was made to work 60hz and is tested in that range , If he says "yes is ok 100hz" and after 6 months is broken (I don't think so anyway), you'll say " Ey that guy told me I can do it, it's his fault.

I'm using 85hz in my chimei screen in G750 JW, no problems

Robbin053
01-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Yeah, my desktop seemed fine on 100hz but when playing Skyrim I got weird psychedelic colouring on loading screens so I decided against it :)

Robbin053
01-21-2014, 10:24 AM
@eleternauta I guess but hey, we're talking ROG here. Asus seems to be proud about giving lot's of information about overclocking, modding etc. so I was a bit put off by the noob answer I got from their own customer service. I wouldn't mind someone telling me 'yes you can do that but these are the risks...etc.'. I just expect them to know their tech.

hmscott
01-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Yeah, my desktop seemed fine on 100hz but when playing Skyrim I got weird psychedelic colouring on loading screens so I decided against it :)

Cool, a nice side benefit of 100hz ;)

Did you need to drop down as far as 80hz to get a stable display? Mine gave me the sparklies at 105mhz, but was stable in all situations at 100hz, you might be ok at 95hz/90hz/85hz before 80hz...

I found 80hz was the minimum to stop the flashing in some gradient screens, so it isn't a bad refresh to run.

My AUO screen will only do 70hz, which is the spec for 1920x1080 - not sure why Asus runs it at 60hz factory settings.

Robbin053
01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
80hz was indeed the the sweet spot for the flashing to stop. Everything seemed stable at 85/90/95 as well, I just didn't want to push it (and I'm easily satisfied I guess :D)

eleternauta
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
@Robbin053 " you're goddamn right"