PDA

View Full Version : RAIDR Express with Rampage IV Black Edition Problem

Mad-Maelstrom
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Have installed the RAIDR into slot 3 and its all reporting as it should for speed etc. However, I put the Win 8.1 install DVD and select the partition to install to (RAIDR RAID0 partition) and the install starts, when i reboot it doesn't recognise the install and just goes back into Windows Setup to do it again.
Card is set to UEFI mode, MBoard is set to UEFI also...am i missing something here?

Chino
01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the ROG forums, Mad-Maelstrom.

When you see the Asus logo, spam the F8 key and select the RAIDR to boot from.

HiVizMan
01-21-2014, 03:32 PM
OP can you confirm that you are following the RAIDr install guide from this forum?

Mad-Maelstrom
01-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome and prompt reply. Just tried it and the RAIDR isn't listed either via F8 or in the BIOS as a boot device, Windows boot manager also not listed.

Mad-Maelstrom
01-21-2014, 03:47 PM
OP can you confirm that you are following the RAIDr install guide from this forum?

Where appropiate yes, dont need to load the drivers for the Intel RST though as drives are all visible. The install appears to work, it just doesn't then see it as a valid boot source
So BIOS Settings are the same as the guide, and I'm booting from a BD-Drive in UEFI mode as the guide says, I just changed to 'Other OS' rather than secure boot to see if it makes a difference

Mad-Maelstrom
01-21-2014, 04:08 PM
I should add, that if i try Windows 7 with the same settings as in the guide i get the message 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.' This is under RAIDR in UEFI mode and not dual.

Myk SilentShadow
01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Did you disable Secure Boot?

Mad-Maelstrom
01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Did you disable Secure Boot?

Yep, set to Other OS now

Mad-Maelstrom
01-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Thought I'd made progress last night but seems not. Zapped my BIOS back to stock and put SATA drives back into AHCI rather than raid. Booted from UEFI BD drive and got a different splash screen on entering Windows 8.1 Setup (ROG one with spinning dots underneath), did the first part of setup but then rebooted and got the same issue, RAIDR not showing as a Windows Boot Device or in the bootable device list.
Thought I'd list my hardware:

Rampage IV Black Edition (latest bios)
i7 4960x
EVGA GTX690 (flashed with UEFI bios update)
64Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133 RAM
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSD (usually in RAID0)
3x 600Gb Velociraptors (RAID 0)
RAIDR Card (latest BIOS)

Any ideas? If i switch over to duo mode its fine

Mad-Maelstrom
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Finally got it working. Did the BIOS update from the Rampage IV forum and Windows 8.1 works with the RAIDR with everything set to UEFI
Anyone got any suggestions on what RAM drive size i should set, was thinking around 500mb or is that excessive? Have 64Gb installed

SteveLee
02-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Just out of interest (as I'm still waiting on the G.Skill RAM to complete my build), do you have the link to the BIOS update on the Rampage IV forum that you used successfully? I'd appreciate it.

Mad-Maelstrom
02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Here you go: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/#support_Download