PDA

View Full Version : Messed up my g74sx

SUSA
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I managed to mess up my quite new G74SX when I updated the bios using the WinFlash (2.31.1) and the new bios (202) that I downloaded from the ASUS website. The reason for the bios update was the annoying keyboard thing. Everything went smooth until I restarted the computer....:-(

Now it does not start. Back screen and nothing else. The Power button is on. The two leds on the top left are on and the "light bulb" on the bottom left is on. Thats it.

I tried to boot up with a USB stick (HP) but no luck (why would that work even if the bios is dead? - but I tried anyway).

Any help is greatly apprichiated. I am pretty sure that the only thing I can do here is to return it and get help fixing it. Or?

Thanks
SUSA.

korre
09-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Seems like you bricked it :(

iraqiboy90
09-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Congratulation, you have bricked it... RMA it
Did you put the bios file on the hard-drive or USB flash disk?
Dont know if this will work at all, but:
remove ur battery and AC power, press and hold the power button for 1 minute, connect the AC adapter and turn it on, if it turns on, put the battery back.

grungeboy2
09-18-2011, 10:56 PM
you bricked it dude, the mother board has to be replaced. it is possible to fix it, but nobody is going to have the proper hardware or charge you a resonable amount to do it.

rma it, it's cheaper for them to replace a 150 dollar mother board than it is for a tech with the right equipment to charge you several hundred to tear it down and pull the bios chip.

SUSA
09-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Tried the press button for a minut. No luck.

I put the bios on the harddrive :-(. With other computers I had no problem with winflash and having the bios on the drive.

Are you really sure that the motherboard has to be changed due to bad flash!?!? Don't they have some pins or something they can connect into and forceflash a new bios into it....?

/SUSA

Chastity@ASUS
09-20-2011, 02:02 AM
The laptops don't have a backup BIOS, which is regrettable IMO. Would solve a lot of this problem. Anyhoo, you'll need to RMA the bad boy.

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 03:51 AM
once you mess up a bios, the motherboard has no information on it to use, so it can tell when anything is going on.

if it was a person, you were performing the equivilant to brain surgery, whatever went wrong caused the paitent to lose his sight, hearing, smell, touch, memory, and personality. you basically made a vegetable. since it's a laptop, the new brain has a part number.

instead of being upset about, try to learn where you went wrong. bios flashing can be tricky and should only be attempted if there is some sort of problem with the old one.

SUSA
09-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Ok.

Well it will be sent to ASUS service today. Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty, got some loose indications on that but I am not 100% sure actually. I will post back on how it turns out.

/susa

korre
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
It will, don't worry :)

stillon80s
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh, wow. I did upgrade my bios and I had the bios upgrade on the HDD and used winflash. It is working fine.

Br4nd3n
09-20-2011, 01:45 PM
There's always a very small chance for a bios update to fail during the transition to the new bios, which is why bios updating should only be used in definitely necessary. That sucks that you possibly bricked your laptop, but it does happen and can happen to any computer.

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
to be honest, that's how ive done it before as well.