PDA

View Full Version : G74 possible purchase

Lancer
09-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone :)

New guy over here, looking at different powerful notebooks to replace his aging DELL XPS. The one that caught my attention the most is the ASUS G74SX-TZ064V which I would like to purchase.

But before that, I have a couple of questions:

- it comes shipped with Windows 7 - I scoured the forums and it turns out there's a lot of problems with the explorer.exe and other bits, and since I am an avid Vista fan (yes, Windows Vista 64-bit worked flawless for me in the 4 years that I've used it), I was wondering if anyone has Vista experiences with the G74? :)

- random issues - I read about CPU throttling and stuttering when playing games, how easily can they be fixed if I experience the same? (bit of a stupid question I know, but I wanted to ask it)

- drivers - official drivers are sound or will I have to resort to Laptop 2 Go to get proper drivers for my NVidia card?

- weight/shape - almost 5kgs is a lot, but I was wondering whether it's relatively easy to carry due to the shape of the notebook

Thanks guys :)

Chastity@ASUS
09-20-2011, 03:08 AM
1) I haven't had any Win 7 issues regarding the OS.

2) Throttlestop fixes the issue, just need to run with it at boot. See my sticky for more info

3) No problem using NVIDIA Verde releases.

4) It has some weight, but I'm used to it and enjoy 17.3" of gorgeous love :)

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 03:45 AM
i noticed that there was really only one pound of diff between the g53 and g74, how's the size tho easy to manage? i've been thinking of upgrading to something newer next year. trying to decide if i want to stay with a 15" or not.

for the record, i've used windows 7 on mine and the standard nvidia drivers. never had any issues.

Lancer
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks Chastity and grunge. :)

My XPS is a heavy piece so it's not the weight the problem, it's the shape if I can carry it with ease.

With regards to the BIOS issues, is there further development in the works?

Chastity@ASUS
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
There's a 203 planned... currently being worked on

Lancer
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
There's a 203 planned... currently being worked on

Sounds good in that case.

I'm definitely leaning towards buying it, especially the 3D model.

Is the G74 upgradeable? (I know the GPU's aren't, I'm talking about the other parts)

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 06:18 PM
basically everything can be removed and replaced. the trick is to kind of plan your laptop upgrades out a bit, before you really even buy one. like you should plan your purchase so that you don't have to upgrade for some time.

Chastity@ASUS
09-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Memory is easy to upgrade, as the WiFi and HDDs. CPU would require a disassembly.

grungeboy2
09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
also any replacement CPU is going to be pretty expensive. a quad i7 should be plenty for games that are out and games still to come.

i'd say it'll be another year or two before you begin to see games that these things won't run on the highest of settings. even then probably 3 or 4 years before you start seeing games that need to be ran on medium to low settings.

right now these laptops are beasts, and the technology curve is ahead of the software curve. now it's game developers turn to catch up and start using all that nifty hardware. over the next year or two you'll see that more and more. after 3 or 4 you'll start seeing the software get to a point where it starts to pull ahead of the hardware that's out.

Br4nd3n
09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
also any replacement CPU is going to be pretty expensive. a quad i7 should be plenty for games that are out and games still to come.

i'd say it'll be another year or two before you begin to see games that these things won't run on the highest of settings. even then probably 3 or 4 years before you start seeing games that need to be ran on medium to low settings.

right now these laptops are beasts, and the technology curve is ahead of the software curve. now it's game developers turn to catch up and start using all that nifty hardware. over the next year or two you'll see that more and more. after 3 or 4 you'll start seeing the software get to a point where it starts to pull ahead of the hardware that's out.

Very well said. The G74Sx is a phenomenal computer in terms of technological gaming advantage. The computer will play nearly every game on the market on the highest settings (with the exception of super-sampling in a few extreme games; but it doesn't really make much of a difference). I've used MANY different gaming laptops within the past few years, ranging from Dell, MSI, Acer, Lenovo and Sony. The Asus G74 is by far the best I've owned, not much because of the awesome performance but mainly because it has a very strong chassis and superior cooling compared to it's competitors. I've gamed with this laptop for hours straight without a cooling pad and the GPU temp never even got above 57c.. that's amazing!

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 05:08 AM
thank you.

yeah those newfangled cooling systems are the bee's knees.

Lancer
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the opinions guys, much appreciated. :)

The G74 is now on my shopping list as replacement to my XPS.