PDA

View Full Version : G74SX GPU/CPU Overheating

Gahleon
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

I've seen quite a few of these threads on here but none of them have helped me.

As of 3 months ago my laptop started to overheat and shut down while playing Borderlands 2. I had it on maxed settings and after 2-3 hours of continuous play it shut down.

Guildwars 2, LoL, Bioshock 2 and Tomb Raider never had this issue.

Flashforward to last week. My laptop started shutting down after 30 minutes of ANY game play. I did do the latest Nvidia update. I rolled back my drivers and it seemed to get me a bit more time before my laptop shuts down now.

I decided to open up the laptop blow out the fans and repaste the GPU and CPU. I'm still having issues with heat. If I play Final Fantasy 14 in 1600x1000 window mode my CPU overall temp hovers at about 89-94 and my GPU will hit up to 61. After about 40 minutes of play SpeedFan Reports that my overall temp is 97-99c. Its around that time that my computer shuts down. Its almost like someone was hitting the sleep button.

Any other ideas what could help me get my laptop's temperature under control?

Davy@ASUS
01-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Have you tried to clean the thermal fan of CPU and GPU?

NoviceMinotaur
01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi there.. have you tried going to the BIOS? during opening the computer press F2 then it will go to the BIOS, you can find an option regarding "Thermal..." check if its enabled. Hope this could help.