PDA

View Full Version : Chi mei grey lines fiiiixed!!!

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:48 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41729-G750JH-Bad-screen-IS-software-related...-(Lines-dark-areas-chi-mei)/page8

Woooo!

It's not entirely fixed, but their workaround is much much more pleasing to the eye. Check it out for yourself to see what they've done to change the shading.

Driver: 334.67 (Beta) 27th/01/2014

angrylemon
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Would be good when they fix it entirely, still get lines on some bright colours myself (Chi mei screen also).

KoolASUS
01-28-2014, 12:17 PM
what workaround ?

is the image different ? i have read many posts here about "lines". are they different now ?

i don't know what screen i have, btw.

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Basically what they seem to have done is, instead of it being dark grey lines, it's now a very, very small micro grid of hashes and spots which darken colors. Far FAR less noticeable, you have to really look for it to see it.

Look at this image. People with the grey lines issue would see the lines over the entire top half of this image, as well as some of the shoulders of the village men. If you can remember what your lines looked like, and look very closely, you'll notice it's now turned to a very faint grid.

It's an awesome improvement and I don't think I'll be taking it further or trying to improve it more unless needed. I'm sticking to this driver and keeping it backed up in a safe place.

To see properly, you must open this image below to full size 1:1 resolution

KoolASUS
01-28-2014, 04:35 PM
ah ok. thank you for explaining.
but isn't it the same "trick" already used in other drivers, like 326.80 beta ? (some people said it and described a grid or a checkerboard).

so instead of lines you have a grid. heh, maybe it's not an intended fix but just an accidental "glitch" in these particular beta drivers ???? :confused:

getjohnalive
01-28-2014, 07:07 PM
I never had grey lines problem with Chi-Mei display on my 750JX with no 3D display. is this happening to G750 series with 3D Display only?

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
I never had grey lines problem with Chi-Mei display on my 750JX with no 3D display. is this happening to G750 series with 3D Display only?

Check my image I posted in full resolution.

If you don't see any feint grey lines when you look close to your screen, I do not know how you are so magical. ;d

What driver were you on?

Are you sure it's Chi Mei? Not AUO?

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:48 PM
but isn't it the same "trick" already used in other drivers, like 326.80 beta ? (some people said it and described a grid or a checkerboard).

so instead of lines you have a grid. heh, maybe it's not an intended fix but just an accidental "glitch" in these particular beta drivers ???? :confused:

Not sure, I never really noticed what they did before.. but this driver seems to do the trick and I'm quite happy. It's MUCH much more comfortable.

Darnassus
01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Not sure, I never really noticed what they did before.. but this driver seems to do the trick and I'm quite happy. It's MUCH much more comfortable.

KoolASUS
01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
could you try to take a photo (not a screenshot) from your screen with an example of this grid thing ?
thanks

Prostar Computer
01-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Just to be clear: this does not appear to be a problem inherent to Chi Mei. Many OEMs use Chi Mei panels and we don't see the trend on our end. This driver improvement seems to insinuate that the problems with the horizontal lines is per video card/video drivers.

Regardless, while it's a shame this wasn't caught sooner, it's good to see the start of an improvement!

Darnassus
02-01-2014, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the more clearer view on it, Prostar! I kept poking my screen. ;d

angrylemon
02-02-2014, 12:19 AM
I seemed to have solved the issue with my wallpapers (bright minimal coloured ones). I opened the JPEGs up in Photoshop (on my wallpaper there are horizontal lines, but in when I open the file in Photoshop there are none) and saved them out as PNGs which then removed any horizontal lines I had. I also tried and saved them out as higher quality JPEGs and that also removed the lines.

gazzacbr
02-02-2014, 05:42 AM
sorry i am late to the party but is this only 2D sceens issue?
although i have asked this before, how do i know which screen i have?
Everest reports SEC5044, i.e. Samsung 3D 120hz.

from post #4, the "full size" image is only 1598x996 pixels, not full 1080p size.

Darnassus
02-02-2014, 06:58 AM
sorry i am late to the party but is this only 2D sceens issue?
although i have asked this before, how do i know which screen i have?
Everest reports SEC5044, i.e. Samsung 3D 120hz.

from post #4, the "full size" image is only 1598x996 pixels, not full 1080p size.

True, a screenshot from my old laptop, however it's sufficient to use.

VirtualMark
02-17-2014, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't call it fixed, I'd call it improved. I still get gradients on dark greys, rather than a smooth colour fade that it should be with 32bit colour.

I remember having this problem, it was in the 90's when we used 8 or 16 bit colour on Windows 3.1. But I think that the year is 2014 now and we've had higher colour depths for years and years, so why has a 90s problem returned?

Perhaps it's because I didn't spend enough money on my laptop? Do Asus offer a more expensive model than the G750? Which one? Because this seems to be the budget cheap and nasty model with 8 bit colour, that has horrible fades in dark grey areas.

So how much must I spend to get this 90s problem fixed? 2000? 3000? I spoke to Asus about it, and told them there's lots of posts on the forum, but they can't even access their own forum. I guess their computers don't work either.

Darnassus
02-17-2014, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't call it fixed, I'd call it improved. I still get gradients on dark greys, rather than a smooth colour fade that it should be with 32bit colour.

I remember having this problem, it was in the 90's when we used 8 or 16 bit colour on Windows 3.1. But I think that the year is 2014 now and we've had higher colour depths for years and years, so why has a 90s problem returned?

Perhaps it's because I didn't spend enough money on my laptop? Do Asus offer a more expensive model than the G750? Which one? Because this seems to be the budget cheap and nasty model with 8 bit colour, that has horrible fades in dark grey areas.

So how much must I spend to get this 90s problem fixed? 2000? 3000? I spoke to Asus about it, and told them there's lots of posts on the forum, but they can't even access their own forum. I guess their computers don't work either.

With Dark Colors is mostly where we're looking at, but yes color gradients are an issue.

As seen here http://oi42.tinypic.com/ehi69y.jpg

But it used to be worse on this too, and it would scroll, making flicker. So they decided to make it into solid bars.

KoolASUS
02-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Hello Virtualmark, as a matter of fact it's NOT THE SCREEN, because some people have tried to CHANGE it (with very good ones, Samsung or LG) and the problem is STILL THERE. (even if slightly different)
So they say it must be a NON-FIXABLE G750 DESIGN FLAW.

there have been many many posts here, and curiously most people don't seem to care, And Asus didn't say ONE WORD about this.

Darnassus
02-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello Virtualmark, as a matter of fact it's NOT THE SCREEN, because some people have tried to CHANGE it (with very good ones, Samsung or LG) and the problem is STILL THERE. (even if slightly different)
So they say it must be a NON-FIXABLE G750 DESIGN FLAW.

there have been many many posts here, and curiously most people don't seem to care, And Asus didn't say ONE WORD about this.

Unless NVidia make a magical driver. :c

billcosbymon
03-01-2014, 04:16 AM
This this didn't fix my screen at all :/.

Darnassus
03-01-2014, 05:47 AM

Uninstall your NVidia driver 100%. Then delete all files it leaves behind.

There's one in your appdata folder, your C Drive, and in your Program Files folder.

Do a Registry Scan using a program of choice, repair by deleting the dead threads

Reboot,

Install the new driver,

Reboot

You should be good. ;d

noone
03-02-2014, 02:06 AM

what was happening? horizontal lines on dark scenes? you can see the new drivers are installed in NVidea control panel?

Worked for me...

gryph
03-08-2014, 05:24 AM

I am having precisely this issue. Removing Splendid improved the problem and gave me blacks, but I still get horizontal lines on dark grey colours.