PDA

View Full Version : ram configuration

azif
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Is there a preferable configuration of the ram in a g53sw? I removed the 3 old sticks and put in two new stick. I put them into the slots that are under the keyboard which I believe are slots 2 and 3. Would there be a more optimal way to do this (less prone to errors) ie. one under the keyboard and one in the back?

grungeboy2
09-20-2011, 06:21 PM
not really.

Chastity@ASUS
09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Check with CPU-Z if your memory is Synchronis mode instead of Async

azif
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
not sure how I can tell. Here is the picture from the memory tab of cpu-z

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/cpuz.jpg

EDIT: woops that is my cpu tab

here it is

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/cpuz-m.jpg

EDIT #2

Dont know if these tabs will help, but I was mistaken earlier. My ram is in slot 3 and 4.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/slot3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/slot4.jpg

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 05:09 AM
wow, that's a little odd. did you add the kingston memory?

azif
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes I bought it thinking it would cure my bsod woes. Unfortunately it didn't seem to fix the problem. The kingston stuff I bought on chastity's recommendation. (recommendation of brand and such, not as a cure to my computer issues)

EDIT: Just some random thoughts as I research possible avenues of recourse; Could it be possible that this is a settings issue in the bios.? Perhaps with the RAM timings or FSB ratio (which I was under the impression should be 1:1 and is currently showing 1:7)? Maybe changing some of the settings from AUTO in the bios to force this thing to act more stable?

EDIT: Well after doing a little research I will certainly have to re-seat the 2 ram sticks to run in dual-channel mode. Apparently the ram has to be staggered and not sitting next to each other, ie. ram in slots 1 and 3 / 2 and 4.

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
yeah that's standard. but it looks liek the ram you bought doesn't match the ram you have. the timings are off etc.

ram gives BSOD but usually not that often. if it's under warrenty, i'd rma it. if it's not, i'd pull all the ram, try running it with just thekingston, does it BSOD then? then run it with the original ram, does it BSOD then?

sometimes ram can be sensative to what slot it's in, so on. troubleshoot it by using one stick at a time until you can identify the trouble part.

azif
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
well as for the timings of 9-9-9-27 I thought this was slow for high-end ram (the lower the number the faster the ram?).

The old ram (3X2 gig) is no longer in the computer, just the two kingston sticks. What are you seeing in my cpu-z pictures that is reporting a discrepancy? If its the clock speed you are seeing, I believe the number (1866mhz) is halved to show actual speed.

When I get home from work im going to tear the thing apart and remove one the sticks from under the keyboard (the easy slot, not the full-teardown slot) and place it in one of the rear, more easily accessible slots. Now if I can just figure out which of the rear slots is slot 1/2 and which full-teardown slot under the keyboard is 3/4. If you pop the keyboard off there is a ram slot that is right there. boom. nothing further. But there is another slot that I had to remove the screen to get to (and much more) that I will not be bothering with. Maybe I can find some sort of schematic online that shows how they are labeled.

EDIT: as to your question of whether the old ram gave BSOD, yes it did. They were all memory management BSODs, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, bad pool header/caller, etc etc. I've been working with some people on the windows 7 forums who are looking at my .dmp files to see if some light can be shed.

Unfortunately their standard answer seems to be BAD RAM BAD RAM RABBLE RABBLE

EDIT: In fact if one more person tells me to run memtest86 I am going to pull my hair out.

Chastity@ASUS
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
In your pics, I see the memory is in Single channel, so you don't have the 2 sticks in a matched bank, so you are losing performance.

I believe they should be populated in order...1-2-3-4

It should say "Double" in the Channels # field.

grungeboy2
09-22-2011, 03:50 PM
yeah def switch teh slots. should be one stick in 1 and one stick in 3, i could be wrong could be 1/2 and 3/4 but it should be 1/3 and 2/4 for matched banks. thats normally how asus does it.

logic dictates if you replaced ram with new ram and have the same problem, the ram isn't the problem.

i helped a buddy of mine fix a old asus board once. he couldn't figure it out, we had 3 sticks of ram and it would bsod. i ended up taking all the ram out and starting with stick one, put it in, ran the comp. ran fine, went to stick two. etc.

what the solution was, for whatever reason, the ram sticks were all the same make and speed, the computer would use them all, but only in a specific order. no real reason for it, just was weird like that.

azif
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
@ chastity well banks 1 and 2 are definetly in the rear of the laptop. I was reading up on the dual channel thing and it said with intel boards the ram had to be staggered to run in dual channel. So, if that is the case, to run in dual channel I will have to run with one under the keyboard and one in the rear (either 2/4 or 1/3). Im just hoping the swap will be the easy route (without the full teardown). The original configuration (of 3 2gig sticks) was as follows: 2 in the rear (slots 1 and 2) and 1 under the keyboard in the full teardown position.

What about some of the other specs that are showing in cpu-z. Does the FSB ratio of 1:7 seem odd to you?

azif
09-22-2011, 08:53 PM
ram gives BSOD but usually not that often. if it's under warrenty, i'd rma it. if it's not, i'd pull all the ram, try running it with just thekingston, does it BSOD then? then run it with the original ram, does it BSOD then?

sometimes ram can be sensative to what slot it's in, so on. troubleshoot it by using one stick at a time until you can identify the trouble part.

The problem with this is that it happens so infrequently at times and at other times it comes with the Thunder. I might go a day of games without a BSOD and the next day ill have 10 in a row. I cant get it to replicate itself with any consistency.

EDIT: the only thing that will crash consistently is Starcraft 2, but it never BSODs. Just crashes to desktop with an access_violation error.

grungeboy2
09-23-2011, 12:38 AM
hmm, have you ever reseated your hard drives? just take them out, make sure they're plugged in good. same with the ram.

somethings wrong, and i think you're right to question the ram. try re-seating the hard drive and such.

azif
09-23-2011, 01:46 AM
well I had to reseat the HD when I swapped out all the ram... it was on the way to the full teardown to get to that pain-in-the-ass stick under the keyboard.

grungeboy2
09-23-2011, 03:51 AM
might be a issue with the CPU or the board.

Chastity@ASUS
09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
@ chastity well banks 1 and 2 are definetly in the rear of the laptop. I was reading up on the dual channel thing and it said with intel boards the ram had to be staggered to run in dual channel. So, if that is the case, to run in dual channel I will have to run with one under the keyboard and one in the rear (either 2/4 or 1/3). Im just hoping the swap will be the easy route (without the full teardown). The original configuration (of 3 2gig sticks) was as follows: 2 in the rear (slots 1 and 2) and 1 under the keyboard in the full teardown position.

What about some of the other specs that are showing in cpu-z. Does the FSB ratio of 1:7 seem odd to you?

That would be true with motherboards, but not necessarily laptops. The alternate banks may be grouped together so that the techs know to fill one side, then the other.

azif
09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
In cpu-z the two under-keyboard slots are listed as 3 and 4. All I know is that the two ram sticks in the under-keyboard positions are not running in dual channel.

Another development since last night is that I ran Memtest overnight. Where it wasn't giving me errors before, after about the 300th test, Memtest86 gave errors on every test afterwards. Disheartening. Especially since I told people to quit asking me to run memtest86 after nothing showed up. Now I look like an *******.

I hope that by putting my easily accessbile (directly under keyboard, not the deep one) ram stick into the rear I will solve my problems.

If by trying both rear slots with this kingston RAM (and one under-keyboard) and if in turn trying the ram that the computer originally came with produces the same results (instability when gaming/ blue screens), is it safe to assume that the mobo is defective? Surely a set of high quality kingston ram AND the old asus ram cant both be defective?

azif
09-23-2011, 11:32 PM
ok got the beast apart and swapped my ram around so that my modules are sitting in slots 1 and 3. cpu-z now lists dual channel as opposed to single. Will try some gaming tonight and memtest86 overnight. cross your fingers.

azif
09-24-2011, 04:28 PM
good news, I believe the problem is solved. Played a bunch of starcraft and it didnt crash or bsod once (beofre it was a sure thing). Ran memtest overnight and not a single error.

JRd1st
09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Awesome!

azif
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
dude you dont even know.....4 month ordeal behind me

grungeboy2
09-25-2011, 06:20 AM
so like, are you using the kingston (quality? lol, they're ok, but i've seen a number of bad ones) ram or the original ram, or a combination of both?

grungeboy2
09-25-2011, 06:23 AM
on another note the amazon reviews of kingston ram are high.

i've still seen a number of them bad.

azif
09-25-2011, 06:36 AM
the originial ram has been out of the computer for quite some time. all the errors and bsod ive been having are with the kingston (had them with the original too). not sure if it was the 3X2 original configuration or what, but running with the dual channel (in slot 1 and 3) has cleared up all the problems. By quality I mean better than the nasty generic **** that asus puts in their computers. 1866mhz is def better than what came with the laptop.

edit: keep in mind I have the xr1 model which came with 3 sticks of 2 gig ram. not sure if that rogue 2 gig stick was coming into play, but there were bsod before and after I swapped the ram (and after I swap, I put ram in the two hardest places to reach(slots 3 and 4), under the keyboard, with the rationale that I wouldnt have to dig as deep for the next ram upgrade). At least as far as my machine (the xr1) is concerned, the ram positioning is a major factor in the blue screens and instability. Buyer be warned.

im just going to post some cpu-z pictures for posterity's sake. just in case anyone else comes across this ****.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/after4.jpg

This is a picture of CPU-z showing 1 stick of ram in slot number 3. Slot number three is the deepest and least accessible slot in the entire computer to reach. You will remove your screen to get to it.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/after3-1.jpg

This is a picture of CPU-z showing 1 stick of ram in slot number 1. This slot is one of a pair of slots in the rear of the machine. It is the bottom slot, ie. if you had the computer flipped over, after having removed the keyboard, ribbons, and necessary screws. If the laptop is upside down and you are looking at the bottom, with the back panel open, it is the bottom ram slot in the rear. They sit on top of each other and it is on the bottom. trying to be clear.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/aegir666/after2-1.jpg

and this is a picture of cpu-z once you have the ram STAGGERED, showing dual channel mode, not single. With an Intel board the ram has to be staggered. AMD is different, but who knows about that ****

EDIT: Also @ grungeboy: the original ram has been sitting in the container that the kingston stuff arrived in since I received the 1866mhz stuff. The problem with my machine is the ram placement, both with original ram (3x2 gigs) and the replacement ram's (because i had it in awkward slots, 3 and 4) positioning.

grungeboy2
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
cool. i'm glad you got it all working. i've totally encountered that problem before. next time you do, you'll remember what you learned about it.

azif = 1
ram = 0

own that problem, show it who's in charge.

i've had a few asus/AMD/Nvidia systems i've built over the years, and they all operated the same way. usually 4 ram slots. 2 would be blue. usually 1 and 3. if the ram wasn't in 1 and 3 then you wouldn't get DDR. that was back in the days of DDR400. i remember it was a K8N8X-X board. i used a AthlonXP 2500, a 256mb Geforce 6800XT, 2GB Ram, WinXP.

that's what i upgraded from when i bought this laptop about 2 years ago. in another year or two i'll step up to whatever else asus is putting out.