PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - Low FPS on games

Cablin
01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I've had my G74SX for around 2 years now but over the last month or so it seems to be getting hot around the arrow keys (I know this is normal) but my FPS on games such as World of Warcraft sits around the 15-20 FPS mark on low settings, which it shouldn't be as a friend of mine has the same laptop, and he is sitting around 40+FPS. Other games such as Payday 2 and Rust, are also starting to become unplayable.

I have got it sat on a laptop cooling pad but that doesn't seem to help much anymore either, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could do to sort this or have had similar problems. I'm an IT tech by trade but a bit wary of opening up the laptop as the amount of money that was spent on buying it I don't want to break anything!

Thanks!

Jonny Pulli
02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi, I had the same problem with WorldOfTanks!
My solution was to remove every thing that has to do with NVIDIA!! OF COURSE Download the new driver FIRST!

I had Fps i WOT before i did this, 20-35 Fps! :mad: After i got Fps at 90-110 Fps! :p

G74SX Nvidia G560M 3 Gb

Hope it helps!

/Jonny

recover
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I also have the same laptop and the same problem with WoW. When I started with this laptop it could play every game fine on max settings, now it struggles on even the lowest setting with everything turned off. The laptop does get hot, but it struggles even when I first turn it on. I've tried updating drivers to fix the issue. Is there a way I can clean the laptop out? Maybe over 2 years it has accumulated some dust inside that would help cool it better.

Hexpigge
02-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Had mine for a year, don't forget to do maintenance. Dust out the vent (with pressured air), check the HDD, upgrade to SSHD or SSD. Overclock your gfx card! Use MSI Afterburner, it's safe to up-it by 30%. Obviously, update your nvidia drivers, directx. Eventually if you don't have anything much on your machine - fresh install windows.

If you just want to know what's going on for sure, check temperatures of GPU and CPU if they exceed 60 during low usage it must be issue with cooling or dust.