PDA

View Full Version : SSD as Primary Drive

Nystik
01-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi all,

Just purchased an ASUS ROG G750JW which arrived today, and so far I'm very happy with it. The laptop came with a 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD. Although I can see that both drives are installed, it seems that the entire operating system has been installed onto the HDD by default (as the SSD has an empty space usage). I'm looking to put good use to my SSD and complete a fresh install where the OS will be booted directly from the SSD. I plan to first make USB and disk backups of the OS before attempting to do so.

I'm no tech expert, so I was wondering if there are any step-by-step guides on how to freshly install the OS (Windows 8) onto the SSD, and enable it as the primary booter? I wish to use the extra 1TB HDD as secondary storage. I don't need to clone anything as there are no documents stored besides the OS at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

EDIT: This is what I can see under disk management
http://i57.tinypic.com/ziommx.png

Myk SilentShadow
01-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Go to www.asus.com click on Support, type in your model number and hit enter. Click the drop down box under OS and choose relevant version and look at the utilities drop down list and look for ASUS Backtracker. Download and install it to your laptop and then run it. There should be a guide in the main G Series laptops Forum :)

Welcome to the ROG Forums :)

gazzacbr
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
... and then see if you can find the numpty that installed it like this and give them a severe thrashing.
geez, what are they doing?
what exactly was the point of installing an empty ssd?

looking on the bright side, take this as a good oppertunity to install a clean os and ditch all the asus bloat/crapware.
there is a good guide in these forms (win 7 and win 8)

Nystik
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just a quick question though, how do I find out what version of Windows I'm currently running (whether it's 8.0 or 8.1?)

Also, I've read a few threads and I was under the impression that the ASUS Backtracker was used for clones instead of fresh installs?

I couldn't find a direct guide on how to do it unfortunately!

Myk SilentShadow
01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Question 1: Press and hold the windows key and at the same time, press the pause button. This will bring up the System Info box that will tell you which Win8 you have :)

Yes, backtracker is for cloning your drive. If you don't want the recovery stuff. Go to Microsoft's website and download an official ISO image for the version you have. Then simply burn it to DVD. Switch off your laptop, pull out your HDD. Turn your laptop on and boot it, spam hit Del/F2 to boot into BIOS, click on the Boot tab, select your DVD as bootable device, F10 to save then reboot and install Win8 fresh :)

Nystik
01-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Question 1: Press and hold the windows key and at the same time, press the pause button. This will bring up the System Info box that will tell you which Win8 you have :)

Yes, backtracker is for cloning your drive. If you don't want the recovery stuff. Go to Microsoft's website and download an official ISO image for the version you have. Then simply burn it to DVD. Switch off your laptop, pull out your HDD. Turn your laptop on and boot it, spam hit Del/F2 to boot into BIOS, click on the Boot tab, select your DVD as bootable device, F10 to save then reboot and install Win8 fresh :)

Ah so if I wanted to have a fresh install I would need to physically remove the HDD, whereas if I used ASUS Backtracker that wouldn't be necessary?

Myk SilentShadow
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Ah so if I wanted to have a fresh install I would need to physically remove the HDD, whereas if I used ASUS Backtracker that wouldn't be necessary?

Exactly as backtracker only clones from one drive to the next. You don't have to worry about Windows being an occasional retard and not installing the important hidden partitions to the SSD as backtracker will just clone everything over

Nystik
01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Exactly as backtracker only clones from one drive to the next. You don't have to worry about Windows being an occasional retard and not installing the important hidden partitions to the SSD as backtracker will just clone everything over

Okay so I just backed up the factory recovery image to a USB using backtracker, should I also back up ASUS Driver/App to the same USB?

Sorry for the silly questions, this is my first time and I want to get it right without causing dramas! :P

Myk SilentShadow
01-30-2014, 02:06 PM
You mean all the preloaded ASUS stuff that came with your laptop? if yes, that's already been backed up too :) And your questions are not silly, you'd be silly if you didn't ask them ;)

gazzacbr
01-30-2014, 04:05 PM

is this a cut and paste from some generic post?
check your facts before posting.
dont do this at all. it does not work.

you cannot download the version you have from micro$oft. you have either windows 8 or windows 8 pro single language version. look at the sticker on the underside of the casing.
there is no 8.1 iso or dvd. install window 8 and upgrade online.
check the clean install threads here on this forum.
if you can get a single language it is very easy, the key will be picked up frm the bios and activated automatically. they are are available but check it is genuine and doesnt contain any surprises.
otherwise, if you get any other version it can be done but its more work. search here on rog for clean install.

Nystik
01-31-2014, 12:39 AM
Still having trouble finding a step-by-step guide on how to do this. Seems that all the threads I've read are for those adding a new SSD card to the machine and physically removing the HDD.

Nystik
01-31-2014, 04:11 AM
EDIT: Is it possible to simply install the OS onto the SSD right now (so I have one version on the SSD and one on the HDD), and then simply change the booting order to ensure SSD is booted first? Then I can format the windows HDD and use that as storage?

Nillaz
01-31-2014, 04:54 AM
EDIT: Is it possible to simply install the OS onto the SSD right now (so I have one version on the SSD and one on the HDD), and then simply change the booting order to ensure SSD is booted first? Then I can format the windows HDD and use that as storage?

Just my .02, but if I were you I would not go this route without having a very good grasp of exactly what it is that I was doing. If you want to minimize/eliminate potential issues I strongly encourage you to do the migration the recommended way...ie use backtracker.

Clone your HDD to a flashdrive using backtracker. Physically remove your HDD and restore your system to your SSD using the backup image via backtracker. Once you can verify that your system is back up and running the way it's intended then you can reinstall your HDD and use it for storage.

There are of course many other potentially valid methods of setting up your SSD as your boot drive (and they have their own pro's and con's), but you go down the road less traveled at your own peril. If by some chance you run into issues during the migration it's MUCH easier to troubleshoot the problem when you can rely on the input of others and the dozens/hundreds of threads here from people who have been through literally the exact same scenario.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your laptop! Running your OS off of your SSD is probably the single best thing you can do to boost performance. Frankly I'm a little perplexed that your OS was installed to the HDD in the first place as this scenario makes little sense from a usability standpoint.

Nystik
02-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the advice Nillaz. You're right, I should stick to the more popular road for support, if needed. Does this by any chance void warranty on the machine?

Nillaz
02-01-2014, 02:57 AM
No worries, glad I could offer some helpful input. The hard drive is meant to be user upgradeable so there will be no issues with your warranty.

To take it a step further I can save you a bit of searching as well. To access the hard drives you will need a small flathead and phillips head screwdriver. On the bottom of your laptop there is a small 5 sided rubber pad with a notch in it almost dead center on your laptop. Use your flathead to pry this up (it's attached to the removable plate so don't try to to rip it off!). Once you've pried that up use the small phillips head to unscrew the screw underneath the rubber pad (it's also attached with a small washer so you can't drop and lose it). Once you have the screw loose the whole panel can be pried off....it's only secured by plastic tabs around the edges so be gentle. Both of your hard drives are directly under that plate, and as an added bonus this is also where you will add/change RAM chips should you decide to upgrade those in the future. The whole process can be done in under 2 minutes, and after you've done it once or twice it'll take about 30 seconds.

As an aside, please don't forget to remove your battery before you go removing/installing hard drives. ;)

Nystik
02-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the extra insight! It's the same as what I found in this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U69nzbC62M

Will I need to download an ISO for Windows 8 before attempting this, incase I manage to screw something up in the process?

My machine came with pre-installed windows 8, so I haven't been able to download the image off the Microsoft site, as they require the retail license, whereas I apparently have a OEM license?

Nillaz
02-01-2014, 05:43 AM
I can't watch the video right now but I'm sure it's pretty explicit as far as what you need to do.

You shouldn't need an ISO. After you use backtracker you will have everything you need right on your flash drive, and you can restore it as many times as you like/need until you are satisfied with the setup. I would recommend that you not wipe that flash drive even after you have everything installed the way you like. Stick it somewhere safe, and that way if something goes south at some point down the road you will always have a physical copy of everything you need to restore your laptop back to the original factory spec without having to worry about having a valid OS, installing drivers, etc. Your copy of Windows is an OEM license and your validation key is already stored in your system BIOS.

echineko
02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
For what it's worth, I'd look into getting a full retail Windows Pro license sometime in the future. The ability to actually do a fresh install if needed fairly easily (though Microsoft has added unnecessary complexity in Windows 8) is worth whatever you pay, trust me. I had to jump through hoops just to do a clean install due to the OEM/single language windows that comes default in ROG laptops.

Finally I got a pro version when I bought my SSD, and that helped when disaster struck :p

Nystik
02-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Already installed the SSD using the steps above and all went well! Also formatted my original HDD.