PDA

View Full Version : G750JX black screen, pls help

Nehmia
01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
I was on my windows 7 everything working perfectly... Then I thought let me give win 8.1 another try, o I removed the backpanel then unscrewed the 3 screws for my 2nd hdd and kept the ssd in its place

Then I turned on the laptop but nothing happened, the light of the power and leds were on but no activity and the screen is black....

I turned off but it didn't turn off, so I unplugged the power cable to force shut it down then back on (mins u the battery is always disconnected)...

Tried to turn it on again but nothing, not even a beep to indicate what's happening

I tried putting the 2nd hadd back in but same result...

I tried holding the CTRL + Home key to call the fail safe BIOS but nothing works..

What on earth might hace happened? I've done this procedure many times before and this is the first time I see something like this... What can I try to fix this!? I really don't feel like waiting till sunday to take it to the service center as tomorrow and saturday are holidays in dubai :(

Nehmia
01-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Now when as soon as plug in the power adapter, the power button lights up even without me eveb touching it, and the fart left led under the trackpad which looks like a bulb and the far right LED which looks like a scroll look light up.... If I hold the power button for 5 seconds the laptop turns off briefly then comes back on by itself

Nehmia
01-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Just read about someone with the exact same problem and he said after. A while it magically worked but he didn't mention any details as to how he made it work:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34676-G750JX-1day-old-Black-Screen-and-not-Booting

Nehmia
01-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Btw, as soon as I shut it down manually or pull the power cord then plug it back in, the laptop turns on by itself without me even pressing the power button

Nehmia
01-30-2014, 07:59 PM
I tried holding CTRL + HOME to engage the fail safe bios while turning it on but nothing happens

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm quite stumped, but have you tried booting it with the battery in the unit? I always thought a machine like the G750 wouldn't be happy without it's battery for that extra OOMF when it wanted it.

Try put the battery in, if it turns on, hold the power button down, then connect the charger, then let it turn on and see what happens.

I have a feeling if you tried to open the panel up, while the unit was upside down, you somehow have damaged the connection wire.

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 06:46 AM
P.S. I notice you fiddle with your machine a lot. Stahp it!

( I have a feeling it's sensitive to frequent tinkering / modifications. )

Nehmia
01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
I'm quite stumped, but have you tried booting it with the battery in the unit? I always thought a machine like the G750 wouldn't be happy without it's battery for that extra OOMF when it wanted it.

Try put the battery in, if it turns on, hold the power button down, then connect the charger, then let it turn on and see what happens.

I have a feeling if you tried to open the panel up, while the unit was upside down, you somehow have damaged the connection wire.

Same thing happens when the battery Is inserted. I do see the green led of the battery turned on. Also note, as soon as I connect the charger with the battery inserted, the laptop turn on by itself even if I don't press the power button. If I hold the ppower button for 5 seconds it turns off and remains off until I turn it on again, the screen is always off and doesn't come on. I dunno why on earth this happened I've opened the back panel to remove the 2nd hdd so many times as that is a must before u format to install a new os otherwise the boot files will be copied to the secondary hdd but this is the first time something like this happens!

Nehmia
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
I also tried the below trick but no luck:

You can try removing the battery, removing the AC adapter cable, and then press the power button a few times. This drains the current from the EC chip. Give the laptop a minute or two, then connect your battery and AC adapter again and try it.

If still no go, then try removing the hard drive and then booting the system. Sometimes shorts with the sATA port/connection cause the system to not POST either.

Good luck!

Nehmia
02-03-2014, 02:53 PM
update: the service center in Dubai called me today to inform me that the motherboard was burned and they changed it, but the laptop still won't boot, seems there is a problem with the SSD and HDD which they might replace after doing some more tests but they need 3 to 4 days

cl-Albert
02-03-2014, 05:40 PM
If you're interested, thought you might want to work with the service center on the other issues you reported at this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43323-What-a-gaming-rig-!) (post #9) while they have your notebook.

If the service center needs to replace or reload your hard drive though, might not be as easy for them to catch the problem, but if they can confirm everything is okay on their end and the notebook is working okay for you when you get it back, hopefully you can find out what is causing some of the problems if they show up again (be sure to back up the working image if you need to go back to it for troubleshooting?).

Otherwise, if the service center is able to duplicate the problems you were seeing, hopefully they can report them to help get a solution and it will not delay your notebook repair too much.

Well, feel free to ignore me, but just wanted to run this idea by you.

Nehmia
02-03-2014, 06:30 PM
If you're interested, thought you might want to work with the service center on the other issues you reported at this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43323-What-a-gaming-rig-!) (post #9) while they have your notebook.

If the service center needs to replace or reload your hard drive though, might not be as easy for them to catch the problem, but if they can confirm everything is okay on their end and the notebook is working okay for you when you get it back, hopefully you can find out what is causing some of the problems if they show up again (be sure to back up the working image if you need to go back to it for troubleshooting?).

Otherwise, if the service center is able to duplicate the problems you were seeing, hopefully they can report them to help get a solution and it will not delay your notebook repair too much.

Well, feel free to ignore me, but just wanted to run this idea by you.

Why would I ignore you, you are the most helpful mod here..

You see I never had issues with Windows 8. It was only with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

They will revert the SSD back to the factory image so it will be on windows 8 and not 8.1 and thus, they will face no issues.

What I never knew before was the ability to backup using back tracker which I will do as soon as I get the laptop back, then I will run Windows 8 for a while if I don't face any issues, I will not update toe Windows 8.1 before the official Windows 8.1 Drivers list is fully updated on the drivers download page of the G750JX

Will keep you updated with the progress and thank you so much for your concern

cl-Albert
02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks, just didn't know if you wanted to worry about the other issue right now, or if you may have already contacted the service center about it.

Yes, hopefully the updated Win8.1 drivers can help with this when they are all released or we may want to look into it more at that time.

Hope your system gets back to you soon in working condition!

By the way still trying to figure out what happened to your notebook and make sure (as well as remind others) you remember to remove the battery (don't remember if you normally run the system without the battery) and unplugged the AC adapter before opening it up.
Otherwise, seems like something was shorting out for whatever reason when you tried to turn it on.

Nehmia
02-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks, just didn't know if you wanted to worry about the other issue right now, or if you may have already contacted the service center about it.

Yes, hopefully the updated Win8.1 drivers can help with this when they are all released or we may want to look into it more at that time.

Hope your system gets back to you soon in working condition!

By the way still trying to figure out what happened to your notebook and make sure (as well as remind others) you remember to remove the battery (don't remember if you normally run the system without the battery) and unplugged the AC adapter before opening it up.
Otherwise, seems like something was shorting out for whatever reason when you tried to turn it on.

I wish I knew man, the battery is disconnected 100% of the time, I never use it

and what scared me man is, Im not the first one with this issue, many users here in other threads have had this, and upon a google search of the title of my thread, I ran into many threads on Tom's Hardware forums with the same issue where the G750JX just dies with a blank screen and the same syptomps, NUM key and the bulb LED on the left are on, nothing responds with the key presses

very sad....I miss my G75VW, it was way more stable and less fragile to drivers as this new Windows 8.1 is