PDA

View Full Version : Devices not visible in boot menu

echineko
01-31-2014, 04:40 AM
Guys,

I've got a bit of a situation here while I was trying to upgrade my Windows 8 earlier today. I managed to successfully activate my Windows 8 Pro key and upgrade the default Windows 8 OEM that comes with the laptop. So the next step was to download the necessary updates, and move to 8.1. I'm installing Windows on a new SSD that I''ve bought, and have reformatted the old HDD installation.

Somehow during the final part of the upgrade where the laptop restarts, something went wrong and the upgrade failed with an error. I've been talking to Microsoft support, and it looks like a clean reinstall will solve it. However, when I tried to restart the laptop so I can start a new install, both my SSD and the DVD drive are no longer boot options in the BIOS.

Now I suspected a rare device failure for the SSD, but that wouldn't explain the DVD drive disappearing as well. And when I look at the SATA options in the BIOS, it actually recognizes both devices, they're just not available as boot options.

I'm kinda stuck right now, any suggestions/pointers?

echineko

echineko
01-31-2014, 05:04 AM
Hi echineko, You could put the windows installation cd in and click install and see if your ssd is there to format.

Sure, except the DVD drive is not recognised in the boot menu, so it''s not able to read the installation disk. The part I need help with is how to get the DVD drive and SSD recognised again in the BIOS so I can boot off them.

Cheers,
echineko

Nate152
01-31-2014, 05:08 AM
What happens when you try to add a new boot option? I see your Hitachi HDD is listed in Boot Option 1.

echineko
01-31-2014, 05:14 AM
What happens when you try to add a new boot option? I see your Hitachi HDD is listed in the boot options.

Yeap, the old HDD is still recognised, only there's nothing on it anymore. And I can't add the DVD drive or SSD, at least from what I can see.33063

Nate152
01-31-2014, 05:19 AM
what is the exact model of your laptop. G75, G55?

echineko
01-31-2014, 05:24 AM
Its a G75VW

Nate152
01-31-2014, 05:26 AM
OK, Thank You, I'm going to check on something, I'll be right back.

Nate152
01-31-2014, 05:30 AM
See if you can get the recovery wizard to come up. Restart your computer and tap F9 as it is starting up.

echineko
01-31-2014, 05:36 AM
The Windows 8 recovery menu? The blue screen with various options? Sure, I can start that

Nate152
01-31-2014, 05:44 AM
Follow the recovery instructions. I hope this gets you going again.

Clintlgm
01-31-2014, 03:23 PM
You need to go back into your BIOS I see you have CSM(Compatibility Support Module) Disabled, it needs to be enabled.

echineko
02-01-2014, 04:15 AM
So after some painful research, I found that the root cause of my problems is because ASUS has removed the option to disable UEFI from the BIOS in release 223. I believe this was still available in BIOS 221.

That's why my non-UEFI installation of Windows was not being detected (SSD not visible in BOOT options, even though it was connected). I still don't understand why it failed to detect my DVD drive, though.

The solution to this was via a workaround provided here (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html) , which allowed me to install a valid UEFI Windows 7 installation, and upgrade that to 8.1 later on. Anyone else facing similar problems might want to give it a try as well.

Btw, if anyone from ASUS is reading this, please enable the UEFI settings as an option, not everyone wants to run Windows 8.

Cheers,
echineko