PDA

View Full Version : Partition Expand

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Hey guys. I've come to the point where I'd like to make a backup of my hard drive just in case. I have Acronis for Western Digital, but my drive that I use is only one terabyte large, when my disks on the laptop come up to 1.2 terabytes.

So I came to the conclusion of this:

I want to expand my 500gb partition to 600 or 700gb, and have a 300gb partition left over and only backup the first 2 partitions. ( Also considering of just taking my hard drive out of the machine if the day ever comes that I need to re-install. )

I also notice there's a command in Acronis to choose how to safe your files, and tells me the partitions of..

"As Is" "Proportional" and so on. I don't understand this, what's the best way to go about it?

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 08:03 AM
Update: Seems Acronis doesn't like backing two small disk partitions to another big disk.

Anyone know a program that'll allow me to make complete raw file backups from two or more disks to one big disk?

gazzacbr
01-31-2014, 08:54 AM
HI, not exactly sure what you mean here but,
Mini Tool Partition Wizard (free) is the best for resizing your partitions. i have never had a problem with this program. ideally you should backup, resize, backup again. i have several copies of all my partitions so i would just normally resize first.
acronis will backup your data only to an image. if you have a 500gb partition with only 100gb used, your backup image will be a lot less that 100gb depending on how much it can be compressed, like a zip file.
the acronis image can be incremantally backed up later without saving the whole partition again. one thing to watch with acronis, which is why i gave up on it, is that when you have to restore a partition (i have about 10 on my main disc for multi booting) acronis did not align the partitions correctly on 4mb which is no good for an ssd. (i use terabyte image for dos now as i use boot-it for multi booting)
anyway, no need to copy exactly the full partitions to the backup drive.

Norup58
01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
As I understand Acronis you should use the Clone function and choose 'Proportional' ~Acronis help: If you transfer data proportionally, each partition will be enlarged, according to the proportion of the old and new disk capacities ~ which to my understanding means each 'drive(s)' you what to clone will be given the exact amount of space needed on you back-up HDD.

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 11:15 AM
I just do what works. I've always done disk cloning.. never really "backed up" officially. Just a big copy.

Darnassus
01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I noticed I can't clone two or more drives into a big one, apparently it doesn't work.

Disk Images do. But the question is, can I open a Disk Image with Explorer and pull out files that I want?

What is a Disk Image anyway? I've never used one as a backup.. is it like an ISO?

Thestroj
02-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I never did any disk cloning or backing up entire partitions with that program, but i do make backups for my work with program wich came with external WD passport 1TB disk. U can back up single files, partitions, or whole disks... whole proces can be backed up automaticly for single folders/files soon as u save them. U can also set it to back up the files once a day.. etc...

I use one partition only for my work, for day to day backup i use folder backup options, But for long term backup storage wich i do every 3 months i use ISO compression methos for the whole partition. I mainly save .ia, .cdr, .psd and .pdf files and it works well... programs also makes up to 50 saves of the single file if u make changes to the file in Illustrator project, so u have backed up different versions of the same file.
Settings are easly set up, it works like a charm..

I have like 4 TB of backed up data like this, U can get an 1 tb ext usb disk for 50 EUR from WD (passport series) i use this solution for years, and it never failed me.

Program that i use is WD SmartWare..

Just my 2 cents...

U could go the long and stupid way, and copy all the data into other drive, format and repartition the drive and then make backups of whole partitions... bla bla bla... and so on... :D

Take care

kingfish
02-01-2014, 11:57 AM
i used paragon for me..done the job well :)

gazzacbr
02-02-2014, 06:22 AM
I noticed I can't clone two or more drives into a big one, apparently it doesn't work.

Disk Images do. But the question is, can I open a Disk Image with Explorer and pull out files that I want?

What is a Disk Image anyway? I've never used one as a backup.. is it like an ISO?

yes, basically a disk image is and iso. you can restore the whole partition to the same size or bigger partition, or reduce it (if possible) to a smaller one.
you can also mount it as a drive letter and simply copy anything you need from it.